Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up for $150 at a junkyard around here...installed it today. It doesn't look right to me, which may be due to the fact that the rubber stripping around the perimeter doesn't line up quite right. I have heard that you need to shim it down a bit in order for it to fit flush with the roofline, and i'm positive that's what i need to do. However, I don't understand how to go about doing that. Adding material in somewhere to lower the sunroof doesn't make sense to me, but i know it can be done...anyone with the glass roof have an idea?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just started mine today also. A few of the people that have done this did not have to shim it down and said it looked great. Others have said It was to high and shimmed it down ( the whole assembly which you have to drop the headliner to do) I am a little confused as to why some need shimmed down. I'm starting to think maybe I should stop where I'm at and forget this idea. Did you use the FAQ for the install? Let me know what you figure out.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i still dont understand how you can shim it down by adding material...hopefully someone can explain it or provide pictures.

Also, i really am not looking forward to taking out the headliner to get get to the sunroof assembly...hopefully there isi another way. Tomorrow if it isn't raning im going to try and modify the moonroof mounting brackets in some way to lower the panel...only problem is the bolt covers on either side would hit the inside of my roof. we'll see what i can do.

but if anyone knows how to solve this issue help me out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man! You got me real worried. How bad is it? I don't think Sig did anything to his and I thought it looked good in pics. Did you do everything in the FAQ including cutting the rubber sides? I'm glad I didn't rip mine apart yet.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
notice that he doesn't have any pics of it closed....not as far as i could find anyway.

either way, i figured out how to shim it, but i havnt done it yet obviously so i dont know how hard it is to take out the headliner and shit.

i'm going to get this sorted out tomorrow, but dont let it stop you from doing the conversion it's wicked easy, and once i get it lined up it's going to look sick as hell.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
WillyG said:
i still dont understand how you can shim it down by adding material...hopefully someone can explain it or provide pictures.

Also, i really am not looking forward to taking out the headliner to get get to the sunroof assembly...hopefully there isi another way. Tomorrow if it isn't raning im going to try and modify the moonroof mounting brackets in some way to lower the panel...only problem is the bolt covers on either side would hit the inside of my roof. we'll see what i can do.

but if anyone knows how to solve this issue help me out!
for future reference... the headliner is easy as hell to take out.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crdcz03 said:
for future reference... the headliner is easy as hell to take out.

i will be needing this future reference, because i have yet to adjust the moonroof. if there are any tricky things about it let me know just so it can go as quickly as possible...i really don't have much time to work on my car these days.

However i will say that getting this thing has made me realize i need tint, but as some of you know i've got too much other shit to worry about at the moment.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
WillyG said:
i will be needing this future reference, because i have yet to adjust the moonroof. if there are any tricky things about it let me know just so it can go as quickly as possible...i really don't have much time to work on my car these days.

However i will say that getting this thing has made me realize i need tint, but as some of you know i've got too much other shit to worry about at the moment.
pull the a-pillars off, pull the weather strip off the inside of the sunroof hole, pull back part of headliner down, pull front part of headliner down.

everythings just clipped in so it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright guys i fixed it today...wasn't hard, just somewhat tedious because i didn't want to unbolt the entire sunroof assembly at once, so i had to slip washers in between the roof and the sunroof bracket. I'll take some pictures of the parts i had to shim and what i used to do it just incase anyone else has to do the same thing. Seriously it's wicked easy, and extremely obvious once you get the headliner out (which is just as easy as everything else).

pics will be posted later

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
94andmore said:
Does shimming the whole assembly down break a seal between the assembly and roof? Seems like there should be a seal there for water proofing. Please post any help. Headliner removal and shimming. Thanks

good call...not sure about that actually but it makes sense. However, the sunroof assembly may just be one big piece that catches water like a bucket and drains it out through the drain tubes. I'll see what i can find tomorrow. pics to come in a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here they are: first some pics of just the car and how it looks

Here the roof is flipped up a bit:

as you can see here it sits wicked low...I wanted it to almost be below the roof line as i think it looks sleeker that way. It's a little lower than how my OEM sunroof sat, and i think it fits and looks better than my OEM one did.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
WillyG said:
Here they are: first some pics of just the car and how it looks

Here the roof is flipped up a bit:

as you can see here it sits wicked low...I wanted it to almost be below the roof line as i think it looks sleeker that way. It's a little lower than how my OEM sunroof sat, and i think it fits and looks better than my OEM one did.

looks good man :number1

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys...yesterday i thought i hated it, because the damn thing sat so high it just looked awful, but after lowering it and fitting it properly i really like it. plus, although my stock sunroof has not rusted yet, if you guys in florida are rusting then i'm glad i did this now, before it became a problem. I'm going to use the SE roof for the H23VTEC project lude, but maybe i already mentioned that.

Also...a very important bit...it poured sooooo incredibly hard here tonight. like so hard that when i was driving i couldn't see at all. it was the worst i think i've ever seen it rain and i'm not even kidding. The roof didn't leak at all as far as i can tell. There is some water in the track area but i think that's normal because the roof was never really meant to be water tight from the factory...that's why they have the drains. Either way i'm happy because that was probably the ultimate test for this thing and it passed. all this means is that you can shim it without worrying about breaking any sort of "seal".

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.