Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I passed by an Acura dealership yesterday to check out some RSX's that they had in stock...

Its the first time I ever drove the RSX, and the first time I drove a car that had VTEC on it for that matter... :D The people at the dealership were really kewl, you can really feel the difference at an acura franchise as opposed to a honda one...

anyways, in terms of driving the RSX base and RSX-S I honestly didnt feel too much of a difference in performance... they felt quite similar, both quite peppy... I guess id have to compare them at a track side-by-side to watch the type-S pull away... eventually

However one difference I did notice was that on the type-S I actually felt the i-vtec kick in, whereas in the base rsx I did not feel any sort of vtec engagement whatsoever.

Another thing I noticed was considerable wheel hop when I gunned it. It happened both on the typeS and base... so i guess my question to all you RSX owners is that if this is normal?... caused by lack of LSD, macpherson struts up front?...

The steering wheel felt kinda wobbly when I floored it, overall it gave me an impression of a nervous car... contrary to the whole "point and squeeze analogy" that I often hear about this car... Or maybe its normal for such a light car with soo much power??

Im planning on test driving an '01 prelude 5spd in the next couple of days to compare... and based on that i'll make a decision...

I'd love to hear what you guys think and recommend etc.

thanks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol...74 views and not 1 comment?? :p

come on guys... your 2 cents plz..

Anyways, I drove the prelude tonight...and holy shit!!!.... such an amazing car...

I gotta say the the '97 - 01 lude is probably the best handling FF car honda ever made....

prelude wins over the RSX for me :w00t

·
Registered
699 Posts
yes wheel hop is normal on an rsx, part of it is due to bad stock tires and it also lacks an lsd, the first time i hit vtec on my car i encountered pretty bad wheel hop and i was like wtf?! but wheel hop can be eliminated by intalling motormounts, getting stickier tires and doing some suspension work such as stiffening up the ride a lil somone correct me if im wrong :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:
lol...74 views and not 1 comment?? :p

come on guys... your 2 cents plz..

Anyways, I drove the prelude tonight...and holy shit!!!.... such an amazing car...

I gotta say the the '97 - 01 lude is probably the best handling FF car honda ever made....

prelude wins over the RSX for me :w00t
I've owned both, and I would have to say thee shift hop on my 5-speed prelude was ten times worse than that on thee RSX IMO, yet you didn't seem to notice it :confused

well regardless, both great cars, enjoy

·
Registered
205 Posts
don't waste your time on the lude, once you drove the RSX-S, the lude seem in adequet. I drove the S2000, ITR, prelude SH, EP3 Si, and RSX-S, and I end up with the RSX-S with my sister.
the obvious reason I didn;t get the S2000 is the price, but there's also the headroom (I'm liek 6:1) and the seats are so stift and you can't chill or lean back while cruising, and I'm a business/family man, so the S2000 won't fit that needs. Then there's teh Si, it not up to my standards, and for 3k more I get the type-S. The prelude is fast, but the interior blows, it look like a mid 90's accord or civic. climate control, crap, guages, crap, design, crap and it not even as fast as the RSX-S, and ITR got no AC, and LA is so frigging hot 80% of the time.
so I end up with a new 04 RSX-S with only 40 miles on it. I know I gave you than jsut the RSX-S or lude comparison, but it to give you an idea on what kind of person would want an RSX-S.
The way I look at it, the RSX-S got the room to be a family car, the luxury or "class" to make your car presentable on your work place's parking lot, performance to spank the ricers on the streets, and it also a chick magnet, unlike the boxy lude :hehe

so my 2 cent, skip the lude, and grab RSX-S at the best bargain possible.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned both, and I would have to say the shift hop on my 5-speed prelude was ten times worse than that on the RSX IMO, yet you didn't seem to notice it :confused

well regardless, both great cars, enjoy
Actually im not too sure what you mean by shift hop. :confused
I found it shifted really nicely... and i was better able to manage the powershifting at the high rpms...

When i tried it on the RSX it felt different, the rmp's would continue to rise between shifts even though i took my off the gas as quick as i could... kinda made me nervous as if the car would over-revv on me or something..

Id love to compare the 'lude to an RSX-S that has been slightly tuned with better suspension, engine mounts and tires to see how it handles.

I dont doubt that the RSX can be fixed up to handle better, but i just loved the way that prelude stuck to the ground completely stock...

·
Registered
772 Posts
i dont have an RSX, but i have driven a BASE and Type-S. didnt feel that much different to me especially on freeway driving. find a good deal on a type s somewhere and get it. also, the type s has a cd changer i thought that was better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i don't know if it's been mentioned but the difference and reason why you felt the vtec engage in the type-s and not in the base is because tho they are both vtec, they are different. the base model has a i-vtec-e meaning the vtec is more for fuel economy and not performance. it only uses 12 of the 16 valves for the first 2300 or so rpms(don't know exact rpm that the other 4 kick in) then it engages and kicks in the other 4 valves. The other i-vtec in the type-s uses the principles of the earlier dohc vtec but with the addition of the vtc module.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:
Actually im not too sure what you mean by shift hop. :confused
I found it shifted really nicely... and i was better able to manage the powershifting at the high rpms...

When i tried it on the RSX it felt different, the rmp's would continue to rise between shifts even though i took my off the gas as quick as i could... kinda made me nervous as if the car would over-revv on me or something..

Id love to compare the 'lude to an RSX-S that has been slightly tuned with better suspension, engine mounts and tires to see how it handles.

I dont doubt that the RSX can be fixed up to handle better, but i just loved the way that prelude stuck to the ground completely stock...
i just noticed that you were referring to "wheel hop" as opposed to "shift hop" <~~~ I blame lack of sleep on that one ;)

but regardless, thee prelude does have a pretty noticable amount of shift hop, meaning thee car itself kinda bogs down when shifting...and this can be easily solved by a stiffer suspension

and it seems to me like you are really comfortable with thee weight of thee prelude....but i must say i also think that is one of thee major downfalls of thee car....while i truly loved my lude...i agree with thee person that said it could have been a bit lighter from thee factory, of course then it wouldn't have thee same feel when handling....

its just a matter of personal preference, and what you want from thee car :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
slammed jdm said:
i don't know if it's been mentioned but the difference and reason why you felt the vtec engage in the type-s and not in the base is because tho they are both vtec, they are different. the base model has a i-vtec-e meaning the vtec is more for fuel economy and not performance. it only uses 12 of the 16 valves for the first 2300 or so rpms(don't know exact rpm that the other 4 kick in) then it engages and kicks in the other 4 valves. The other i-vtec in the type-s uses the principles of the earlier dohc vtec but with the addition of the vtc module.
on a base and EP3 the so call vtec crossover is 2200 RPM, so that means anythign under 2200 is 14 valve adn over 2200 16 valve, I'm not sure how the hell that works comapred to the RSX-S Vtec

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
llImportedll said:
and it seems to me like you are really comfortable with thee weight of thee prelude....but i must say i also think that is one of thee major downfalls of thee car....while i truly loved my lude...i agree with thee person that said it could have been a bit lighter from thee factory, of course then it wouldn't have thee same feel when handling....

its just a matter of personal preference, and what you want from thee car :)
well, it is a tad on the heavy side when comparing it to the RSX and teg for sure.... however it gave me an impression of a much more solid car.
especially after having owned 2 civics in a row, it was a completely different feel...

I also like the idea of having the mid range torque from a 2.2L. There were 3 ppl in the car when i test drove it, and yet it felt quite responsive between the 2 - 4 thousand RPM range...

Sure the RSX-S and ITR may have more potential to when sprinting from 0 to 60... but hey, theres alot more to the driving experience than just drag racing..

If I can achieve like 225 hp from some basic mods on the lude, i think id be pretty content.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:
well, it is a tad on the heavy side when comparing it to the RSX and teg for sure.... however it gave me an impression of a much more solid car.
especially after having owned 2 civics in a row, it was a completely different feel...

I also like the idea of having the mid range torque from a 2.2L. There were 3 ppl in the car when i test drove it, and yet it felt quite responsive between the 2 - 4 thousand RPM range...

Sure the RSX-S and ITR may have more potential to when sprinting from 0 to 60... but hey, theres alot more to the driving experience than just drag racing..

If I can achieve like 225 hp from some basic mods on the lude, i think id be pretty content.
I have a prelude and love the rsx-s (never drove one, to be honest) but the handling (my fav part of a car) is amazing. I've driven cars MUCH more expensive that just do NOT match it. I've put on light wheels and wider tires and OH boy does it stick and move. Good luck, its a great car...so to is the RSX.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:

well to be honest, i think my rsx would have easily taken my prelude from a roll....

and if those are thee things you are looking for, then i think you would absolutely LOVE thee 7th gen accord coupe V6 6-speed....that was thee car that replaced thee prelude that i loved so much, and it has thee perfect combination of all of thee above imo....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:
I ended up buying the 'lude...
Congrats on the 'lude purchase. I love the way 'ludes look. Way better than RSX-S (02-04) stock. BUT, when looking at cars last Aug, test drove both and definitely pref. the RSX-S, thus I bought one. Either one is a winner as they're both Hondas. You can never go wrong when going Honda.

As for your original deduction that there are no real performance differences between the Base and the S, did you really drive the 2 vehicles??? I have an S and my roommate has a Base. I've driven 'em back to back, no comparison. In terms of acceleration, Base doesn't compare. Also, I've raced him several times from dig and roll and pulled him by at least a car each time.

Congrats and enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.