Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just took my car to the shop cause i realized i was leaking fluid...
turns out i' racked up a $3600 bill

could anyone help me out with letting me know what's easily fixable myself or with a couple buddies?

my oil pan gasket is leaking- need to replace the filter, then put oil back in.

the front crankshaft seal is leaking- need to replace the seal as well as the camshaft seal

the distributor seal is leaking- i need to replace the o ring

the rack and pinion boot on the right side is torn and leaking- i need to replace the steering gear rack and pinion

the oil filter housing gasket is leaking- i need to replace the gaskets

the boot on the left outer CV axle is dry, rotted, torn, and leaking- i need to replace the left front cv axle

(below are non leaks)

brake fluid flush- is that easy to do?
power steering flush- is that easy?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
oil pan gasket is easy. Get a manual, you need to loosen the bolts in several sequences, so its not warped. Dont put oil back ion that was drained, just do like a regular change.

Disty o ring is easy, take it off, CAREFULLY use a small flathead screwdriver or maybe a fingernail, to take off the oring. Kinda a pain if its fukll of oil.

CV sdhaft is as easy as can be. Hardest part is popping the ball joint so you can swing the whole hub assembly away. Ask if you need help.

oil filter housing? no clue what you are talking about. Im gonna assume its the filter's gasket. That will be fixxed when you replace the filter.

To replace the front main seal (crank seal on front :btu) you need to remove the pulley and crank gear. PITA, but it will stop the oil leaks if replaced.

Rack and pinion is a large job depending on how you go about it. You could drop the whole crossmeber after diconnecting everything, but that mewans your popping the tie rods, getting extra jackstands and/or jacks to support everything, and then having to slide the boot on pass the whole tie rod assembly on one side.

Flushes next post

· Registered
10,346 Posts
BRAKE FLUSH

grab a friend.

Go to your first wheel, doesnt matter what order, but if you start with a front, do the other front before going to the rear.

You will see bleeder. What you do is undo it, have your buddy press on teh brakes, hold them, you tighten the bleeder back up, tell buddy to let off brakes, undo bleeder, press brakes, and so on. Every 2-3 pumps, go up top, pour new brake fluid into reservoir.

The reason you cap the bleeder when the brakes are let go, is because they will suck in air if not sealed.

PS FLUSH

grab a buddy

unhook the return line to the reservoir , usually bottom, direct into a bucket larger enough to hold DOUBLE or TRIPLE the quantity you need to refill. Turn the key on, NOT the car.

begin by turning the wheel slowly back and forth. keep an eye on the PS reservoir, you cant let it go dry at all. refill as necessary. do this until the fluid comes out clean as the fluid going in.

After your all done, go for a short testdrive, keep your speeds within reason, incase brakes need to be pumped a few tiomes to build pressure back up. Samme thing with PS, go around several street corners.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Matt

· Registered
10,346 Posts
The PS will need to be topped off, as doing the flush willd rain the fluid that should be in the pump. Check your brake fluid level as well. Keep an eye on them for the next 100 miles of driving afterwards, as both these systems do take a bit of time to fuklly "settle"

· Registered
1,278 Posts
You need an oil cooler o-ring from honda.. Take the filter off and you'll see a big fitting.. Im thinking 25mm not sure on size- mic it. Remove the oil cooler and replace o-ring.. Really simple and the o-ring is like 3 bucks.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow. i didn't think all my questions would be answered that fast!
thanks alot mattliston, and jtdesigns!!:D

well, i'm replacing the exhaust as well. so rack and pinion shouldn't be too hard... it's just a matter of finding good parts now :)

thanks again guys

· Registered
10,346 Posts
No problem

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Most work on cars can be done over a weekend some beer and calling on some friends, even if you don't know what your doing, a Haynes and enough time to look at it and think for a minuite will get you through. Just remember if the job says 30 mins multiply by 4 if your new to cars and by 2 if your familiar with working on them but its your first time doing this particular job.

I hope you havent payed for anything yet, thats a lot of labor costs for such a small ammount of work(excluding the rack and pinion)

· Registered
10,346 Posts
x fucking 2. Beers and huers :ninja

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.