Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear all sorta stuff, so what was the motor that came in a us 90 civic si? and what computer runs the zc sohc ? a 90 si one right???

·
Registered
417 Posts
klungemonger said:
The 88-91 Civic/CRX Si came with a D16A6 motor. SOHC non-VTEC which used the PM6 ecu. That would run an sohc ZC non-VTEC, also you could use the PM7 which was the ecu used in the first gen tegs with the D16A1 dohc 1.6 non-VTEC. Of course it all depends what car it's going into...do you have a 91-earlier that is MPFI?
PM7 is the JDM DOHC ZC ECU - the 1st gen Integra ECU is a PG7

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
klungemonger said:
The 88-91 Civic/CRX Si came with a D16A6 motor. SOHC non-VTEC which used the PM6 ecu. That would run an sohc ZC non-VTEC, also you could use the PM7 which was the ecu used in the first gen tegs with the D16A1 dohc 1.6 non-VTEC. Of course it all depends what car it's going into...do you have a 91-earlier that is MPFI?
no its a dual point injection 90 civic lx, so i need a PM6 ecu right?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i dont need to completely replace the wiring?i assumed on doing that since both the jdm intake and distributor have more wires and differant plugs on the dist.
my car shut down on me yesterday, i just shut right down and i pulled over and cranked it over three times, it tried starting each time then went on the 4th, it skips a beat and shudders now outa the blue. i reset the ecu but i pulled several codes, it seemed to give me the following number of blinks:13,14,15, and i think 16,is this related to running dual point and a d15b2 dist??? by the way when i switched intakes the jdm one was coated in carbon and i geuss thats bad, there should be no carbon there unless exaust is getting in there sum how, what do u think?? i dont know what to do but i aint driving it now.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
There is usually black gunk inside old intake manifolds from the cylinder head and crankcase breather tubes, that's nothing to worry about really.

If you're so inclined to swap all the harnesses out I don't know what's wrong with doing that...however I'm not a 4th gen guru. Ask some fellows over on redpepperracing.com it as all about older Civics and stuff there...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks thatll prolly give me alota good info easier, thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
the american version of a ZC is a d16a1, i beleive it came out of a integra. i also believe if yout take the pistons from an a1, and put it in a y8 block you raise ur compression to high 11's and low 12's

·
Registered
417 Posts
klungemonger said:
...but yes, if you use the A1 or dohc ZC pistons in an sohc block it will dramatically raise compression.
only the 88-89 D16A1 pistons are domed like the DOHC ZC - the 86-87 D16A1 pistons are basically flat tops

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats cool, right now im not tearing apart the motor, i actually got a 1 year warranty on it as long as the head isnt removed and they will just give me another sohc zc, but its a good idea down the road , maybe my old d15b2 block can get some domed ones not those of course but im geussing they make em

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.