Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah...after winter I figured it would be a good idea to get under there and spray it all out-so I took some stuff called oil eater and sprayed it all up under there then hosed it all down, then repeated. Seems pretty clean, but I was thinking about getting my car re-undercoated or having some sort of rust-inhibitor applied. What should I do or where should I go to get this done? I talked to one of the guys I know at Honda and he wasn't even really sure what I should do-but mentioned spraying used motor oil over the bottom of my car. I didnt like that idea as it would attract dirt...so any others?

Reactions: preludedriver99

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
WillyG said:
So yeah...after winter I figured it would be a good idea to get under there and spray it all out-so I took some stuff called oil eater and sprayed it all up under there then hosed it all down, then repeated. Seems pretty clean, but I was thinking about getting my car re-undercoated or having some sort of rust-inhibitor applied. What should I do or where should I go to get this done? I talked to one of the guys I know at Honda and he wasn't even really sure what I should do-but mentioned spraying used motor oil over the bottom of my car. I didnt like that idea as it would attract dirt...so any others?
that wash should have taken care of mostly everything, lol. When i get a chance im gonna steam clean the rest of my engine bay and the underside of my engine. SInce i odnt live in snow or harsh winters i have never felt the need to clean anything else.

Is there rust or something?

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
98Vtec said:
that wash should have taken care of mostly everything, lol. When i get a chance im gonna steam clean the rest of my engine bay and the underside of my engine. SInce i odnt live in snow or harsh winters i have never felt the need to clean anything else.

Winter sucks ass. Mansfield where I live got 8 inches of snow last sunday and it was 82 degrees today, mucked up for sure. I'd never drive my lude in the winter, I'd walk before I did that. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the life of your car to have it undercoated again if it's wearing off. Blake where do you live Flordia?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
preludedriver99 said:
Winter sucks ass. Mansfield where I live got 8 inches of snow last sunday and it was 82 degrees today, mucked up for sure. I'd never drive my lude in the winter, I'd walk before I did that. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the life of your car to have it undercoated again if it's wearing off. Blake where do you live Flordia?
Pensacola

Northwest FL.

The undercoat you are referring to....is that the rough plastic looking stuff?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
98Vtec said:

First off how exactly do you steam clean? Like one of those steamer gadgets that they advertise on TV that blasts steam? Sounds like a good idea...but you'd get some nasty water spots I would imagine unless you use distilled water.

But anyway...There is no rust, but I would hate for any to start-it's all about preventative maintenence and doing some against rust is worth my time and money for sure.

Does anyone know what exactly honda puts under their cars for undercoat from the factory? The shit that's left feels sort of sticky in spots, like a thick grease with rubberized stuff underneath, but the greasy stuff is only in a few spots...I didn't want to remove it since I had no idea if it was supposed to be there or not, so I left it.

And its not really comming off, only in like two spots, the lower parts of the floorpan near the front wheels (I am guessing just from dirt being thrown up it slowly wears it off) But I just feel like I need something under there...at least some sort of spray treatment but I havn't heard of anything like that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
preludedriver99 said:
Kinda like a rhino lining isn't it? It's added weight for those who have a hard on for cutting lbs off your lude!
I was actually thinking I could have some truck bed liner place do the underside of my car...that would be some sweet protection right there it would never wear off!

But the stuff that is on there is very rubbery...not hard at all and I can scrape it off with my fingernail-which is why i am worried that i need it done again.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
WillyG said:
First off how exactly do you steam clean? Like one of those steamer gadgets that they advertise on TV that blasts steam? Sounds like a good idea...but you'd get some nasty water spots I would imagine unless you use distilled water.

But anyway...There is no rust, but I would hate for any to start-it's all about preventative maintenence and doing some against rust is worth my time and money for sure.

Does anyone know what exactly honda puts under their cars for undercoat from the factory? The shit that's left feels sort of sticky in spots, like a thick grease with rubberized stuff underneath, but the greasy stuff is only in a few spots...I didn't want to remove it since I had no idea if it was supposed to be there or not, so I left it.

And its not really comming off, only in like two spots, the lower parts of the floorpan near the front wheels (I am guessing just from dirt being thrown up it slowly wears it off) But I just feel like I need something under there...at least some sort of spray treatment but I havn't heard of anything like that.

well i have a steam clean machine at our work, to only place it will leave spots is on my valve cover since i polished it. I cleaned the top intake portion of the motor and man is it so much clean, i can actually see my tranny from the top of the motor!

and yeah the rhino liner is what i was refering to. I'm not sure of the weight difference between the honda liner and rhino liner tho.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
98Vtec said:
well i have a steam clean machine at our work, to only place it will leave spots is on my valve cover since i polished it. I cleaned the top intake portion of the motor and man is it so much clean, i can actually see my tranny from the top of the motor!

and yeah the rhino liner is what i was refering to. I'm not sure of the weight difference between the honda liner and rhino liner tho.
Bah weight doesn't matter to me...if I cared about weight I would never carry passengers and always keep my tank on empty. A few pounds isn't a big deal.

The only problem is that in order to do it right the whole underside of the car would need to be cleaned spotless...no water or dirt whatsoever because if there was any then the rust would just grow under the liner, then burst through. I would think that would be very expensive or difficult to do properly. But I don't know...maybe it's possible.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
WillyG said:
Bah weight doesn't matter to me...if I cared about weight I would never carry passengers and always keep my tank on empty. A few pounds isn't a big deal.

The only problem is that in order to do it right the whole underside of the car would need to be cleaned spotless...no water or dirt whatsoever because if there was any then the rust would just grow under the liner, then burst through. I would think that would be very expensive or difficult to do properly. But I don't know...maybe it's possible.
well steam cleaning with a pressure washer (like i am) would definitely take all the grime and dirt off. Our washer has this degreaser in it so it penetrates with the pressure, breaks down the dirt with the degreaser, then cleans the surface. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
98Vtec said:
well steam cleaning with a pressure washer (like i am) would definitely take all the grime and dirt off. Our washer has this degreaser in it so it penetrates with the pressure, breaks down the dirt with the degreaser, then cleans the surface. :)
Yeah I've got nothing like that and nowhere to get it...nor do I want to spend the money. I think i'll just take a trip to walmart tomorrow and buy a household steam cleaner for my engine bay and maybe some more underbody cleaning.

But that thing you have sounds pretty nice.

EDIT: tomorrow I'm getting this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13562113&RN=53

for some reason I am actually excited about buying a steam cleaner.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
WillyG said:
Yeah I've got nothing like that and nowhere to get it...nor do I want to spend the money. I think i'll just take a trip to walmart tomorrow and buy a household steam cleaner for my engine bay and maybe some more underbody cleaning.

EDIT: tomorrow I'm getting this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13562113&RN=53

Rhino linings is about 10 minutes from here. I can actually call them and see what they say for you tomorrow before I have to go to class. My bet is they can take care of all your cleaning before spraying the lining on and you wouldn't even have to worry about it. They're pretty professional about their business. Only think you'd really have to worry about is fuel lines and brake lines other than that I'd bet it's a go!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
preludedriver99 said:
Rhino linings is about 10 minutes from here. I can actually call them and see what they say for you tomorrow before I have to go to class. My bet is they can take care of all your cleaning before spraying the lining on and you wouldn't even have to worry about it. They're pretty professional about their business. Only think you'd really have to worry about is fuel lines and brake lines other than that I'd bet it's a go!
Yeah you can call if you want to...but there's a place nearby here as well that I can call. It's not actually rhino liner but some other similar company, same idea. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.
But the fuel lines and brake lines seem like they would be pretty sensetive...I don't know if it would work alright.
But thanks for the advice guys. If anyone can think of any other options I would still appreciate it!

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
WillyG said:

The one at my work is HEAVY DUTY AS FUCK....industrial size, lol. It cleans the tractor motors. And god knows how dirty those bitches get!

Just make sure that when you clean the engine that the spray is "flat" and not like a needle (loss of words, lol)

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
WillyG said:
Yeah you can call if you want to...but there's a place nearby here as well that I can call. It's not actually rhino liner but some other similar company, same idea. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

But thanks for the advice guys. If anyone can think of any other options I would still appreciate it!
Just spray the underside of your car with silly string and call it a day! :clap :wow

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
98Vtec said:
The one at my work is HEAVY DUTY AS FUCK....industrial size, lol. It cleans the tractor motors. And god knows how dirty those bitches get!

Just make sure that when you clean the engine that the spray is "flat" and not like a needle (loss of words, lol)
Why flat? The jet spray would get in all the places the you cant get with a rag.

Silly string? WTF would that do? :lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
98Vtec said:
i would just be worried about the "jet" cutting through things that dont need to be cut.
true...but the one I'm buying to don't expect to have incredibly strong power-but thanks for the warning I'll keep my eye out when I'm using it.

Also steam cleaning the engine bay isn't really what I'm looking to do anyway. The main point of this thread is to find out what the hell I should do as far as undercoats goes, or if I need to worry about it at all. I know Hondas tend to rust pretty easy around the rear wheel wells, but what about under the car? Keep in mind I live in an area with salted winter roads for four months out of the year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.