Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told it will mess up your synchros...but have also been told that it is one of the best transmission fluids out there.

The main thing is I am worried about the fact that some people believe it will mess things up in the long run. Do I have anything to be worried about? I havn't used any yet but I might change to the synchromesh in the summer.

·
Registered
571 Posts
synchromesh

pennzoil synchromesh & gm synchromesh (same thing) and even friction modified are too thin a gear oil for honda transmissions. They will wear out the synchros even more due to the thin viscoisty of the oil. I changed mine after about 5,000 miles and examined it -- it was black, had small air bubbles in it, and along with little metal shavings. I put my spoon magnetic transmission fluid plug in and pulled a lot of little metal shavings outta the tranny. I have switched to BG syncroshift 2 and it is a lot better. Eliminated my 5th gear grind and shifts like butter -- but bg syncroshift 2 is like 2 -3 times as much ....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah22aselude said:
pennzoil synchromesh & gm synchromesh (same thing) and even friction modified are too thin a gear oil for honda transmissions. They will wear out the synchros even more due to the thin viscoisty of the oil. I changed mine after about 5,000 miles and examined it -- it was black, had small air bubbles in it, and along with little metal shavings. I put my spoon magnetic transmission fluid plug in and pulled a lot of little metal shavings outta the tranny. I have switched to BG syncroshift 2 and it is a lot better. Eliminated my 5th gear grind and shifts like butter -- but bg syncroshift 2 is like 2 -3 times as much ....
Yeah price to me doesn't matter. It's only still like a matter of $10 or so..not a big deal at all. What is BG syncroshift? I have never seen it before. do any of the major chain stores carry it?

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
i was useing moble 1 10w 30 in mine for about 4 yrs, i changed it once. worked very well, ive never had a shifting problem. now its got honda MTF and it works ok. Im not sure if ur suppost to be putting gear oil in a manual tranny, most dealerships say the honda MTF is 10w30 with a additive in it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
re: honda mtf

that is exactly what honda mtf is 10w30 motor oil with some additives//

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mike_sho said:
Im swapping mine out as well. Im going to be doing some of my own tests. Im going with redline.
Yeah but I've heard that redline is real thick...and where we live the winters can get down to like -10 F or so. Yeah I drive the lude year round..so I need something that will work well in all conditions-I might go with the BG synchroshift but not sure yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
SpecalK said:
i was useing moble 1 10w 30 in mine for about 4 yrs, i changed it once. worked very well, ive never had a shifting problem. now its got honda MTF and it works ok. Im not sure if ur suppost to be putting gear oil in a manual tranny, most dealerships say the honda MTF is 10w30 with a additive in it.
Cheers for the advice....I'll give it a bash!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i just had redline put in my tranny when i got my clutch replaced about 2 weeks ago. shifting feels alot smoother, doesnt strugle to go into 1st anymore, and my 5th gear grind isnt AS bad as it used to be.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prlude4Life said:
i just had redline put in my tranny when i got my clutch replaced about 2 weeks ago. shifting feels alot smoother, doesnt strugle to go into 1st anymore, and my 5th gear grind isnt AS bad as it used to be.
Yeah maybe I'll try it out. None of my gears grind..ever. but it is hard sometimes to put it into first when I am moving (at a crawl mind you...the speedo doesnt even register the speed i go at when i try and put it in first, but it still wont go until I stop completely) and also second, when i am moving at any reasonable speed for using second it wont go in unless i double clutch it. is this normal or am i doing something wrong or what? like i said double clutching seems to make it work, but it sucks i hate having to do it like that.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
WillyG said:
Yeah maybe I'll try it out. None of my gears grind..ever. but it is hard sometimes to put it into first when I am moving (at a crawl mind you...the speedo doesnt even register the speed i go at when i try and put it in first, but it still wont go until I stop completely) and also second, when i am moving at any reasonable speed for using second it wont go in unless i double clutch it. is this normal or am i doing something wrong or what? like i said double clutching seems to make it work, but it sucks i hate having to do it like that.
never shift to first gear when ur car is in motion...thats what second gear is for....very bad on the tranny...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blaznh22 said:
never shift to first gear when ur car is in motion...thats what second gear is for....very bad on the tranny...
yeah but if i put it in second when i am moving slow and then try and go again (for example every day when i go to school and have to go over speed bumps) the car seems to bog down and shakes a bit (so you know it's struggling). Now it only does that if I keep the RPM's under 1.5k, if I bring it above that I am fine but I hate slipping the clutch that much. Which one should I do? and is it even bad to make the engine struggle a bit when moving slow in second? (it only happens for about 2 seconds or so when i first start to accelerate off the speed bumb)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate to bring up old threads and all, but I have a few things to say pertaining to this thread...so might as well use it instead of making a new one. :D

As far as putting it in first when the car is in motion, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. BUT, you first have to know how to rev-match. :) Meaning, if you're going to drop it in first gear from second gear, you have to rev up the engine a certain amount to make the gear transition smooth...and yeah, you only need to do this in places like, a parking lot, place with speedbumps, or just rush-hour traffic. :) It's the same as smoothly downshifting in any other circumstance. Say you are dropping to third from fourth, you would also want to rev it up a certain amount higher than what you are already at in fourth before downshifting. If you don't revmatch you feel the shock from the engine/tranny when you drop into the next lower gear.

Finally, I was also going to try Pennzoil/GM Syncromesh in my Integra tranny...third gear doesn't really *grind* but sometimes it feels like it wants to. :D Anybody else used this BG Syncroshift? What about any other products?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
WillyG said:
yeah like the other guy said don't put your car in 1st while its moving. Either stop and put it in, or rev up in second let off the clutch a lil then punch the clutch and rev it up some more and let the clutch out smoothly with some gas. If you're going slow enough that your car will let u put it in 1st then just stop, just plainly don't be lazy and take it out on your car. If you wanted to roll over speed bumps or something then leave it in first while u go over, and then rev it up, but only if you're going so slow ure about to stop. So my opinion stop neways.

But either practice watching traffic more so u don't put yourself in situations like that at stop lights so u have enough momentum to use 2nd easily, or fuk the people behind you if u have to stop. Do you really care about them or feeling stupid for a second maybe more than u do about your tranny? I don't.

Like i said i just try to give my car a little momentum by slightly shifting out of 2nd and u should be good to go. Most people wouldn't tell u this much but i like talking. But putting your car in 1st isn't the same as any other gear in terms of how your tranny likes it unless ure moving like a dying snail. You can barely convince the SS lude or ne car to go into first when you're moving an its a really shitty idea. Suck it up and stop.

If I drive in bumper to bumper traffic all the time w/o sticking it into first while i'm rollin then there is no reason u ever have to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.