Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So AMD came out with Socket AM2 on monday....and...it sucks ass. Basically nothing is different from socket 939 except the ability to handle DDR-2 memory...

Conroe it is! As much as I like AMD....I go for whatever is the best...and it will definitely be conroe!

Tomshardware article....linked to the conclusion

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Umm... it uses very little power thus the chip runs cooler. As far as a performance increase? I guess this is kind of like the release that Intel had with S775 and Preschott way back when.
I for one will be changing over to AM2. Lower power requirements and the same (and I'm sure later better) performance? Yes please.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5gencivic said:
Umm... it uses very little power thus the chip runs cooler. As far as a performance increase? I guess this is kind of like the release that Intel had with S775 and Preschott way back when.
I for one will be changing over to AM2. Lower power requirements and the same (and I'm sure later better) performance? Yes please.
But then you need to get ddr-2 ram and a different motherboard.

Why not switch over to Conroe then? There's really no comparison...Conroe RAPES the AM2.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
gurusan said:
But then you need to get ddr-2 ram and a different motherboard.

Why not switch over to Conroe then? There's really no comparison...Conroe RAPES the AM2.
Benchies? Links? DDR-2 isn't really a problem with me because I'm not doing an upgrade until Vista is out and DX10 compatable GPU's are out as well.
Plus there is some speculation that the AM2 memory controller will have the flexability to use ddr2, ddr3 and that serial ddr stuff. But that all said I'm not a fan boy... unless you can be a fanboy of absolute power. :)

Edit: Different motherboard and ram doesn't make any difference to me because I'm still running a S478 3.06ghz P4 from 2003. :) Just thought I'd clear that up. hehehe

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
already got an FX-62, so im stayin where I'm at.....

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
its in the works, im gonna use a zalman reserator 3 on it.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you purchased it already? The reserator isn't the best cooling for an OC'd processor.

It was designed to be quiet, not cool.

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
I haven't purchased it yet, what would you recommend?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.