Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

SOHC Turbo

3K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  norcal4dr 
#1 ·
Seems i can never make up my mind. I'm thinking about making a turbo kit with my tax return. I was wondering about the kits on ebay. By SS Auto Chrome. I heard that they suck, and break and turbo goes bad quick. I was just wondering if anyone has any luck with SS Auto Chrome. I know it's an off brand, but can only afford so much :(. But i'm keeping my eye out for an Eddlebrock, or rev hard, or drag. Let me know if anybody has experience with this company. And or has a turbo kit there trying to sell. Thanks a bunch
Going on a D16y7, 00 Civic dx(sleeper)

#2 ·
VwtoHonda said:
Seems i can never make up my mind. I'm thinking about making a turbo kit with my tax return. I was wondering about the kits on ebay. By SS Auto Chrome. I heard that they suck, and break and turbo goes bad quick. I was just wondering if anyone has any luck with SS Auto Chrome. I know it's an off brand, but can only afford so much :(. But i'm keeping my eye out for an Eddlebrock, or rev hard, or drag. Let me know if anybody has experience with this company. And or has a turbo kit there trying to sell. Thanks a bunch
Going on a D16y7, 00 Civic dx(sleeper)
Sorry man but they suck, my buddy had a header and it was gay. Edlebrock has a good kit thought. :tu

#6 ·
fuco8210 said:
Sorry man but they suck, my buddy had a header and it was gay. Edlebrock has a good kit thought. :tu

The header was gay? Ive only seen one pic of a cracked header because it wasnt reinforced. Theres a guy on here with an SS tubular header and he doesnt have a problem with it. I think he drives a turbo del sol.

If I were you Id build up a junkyard kit with some pieces from ebay or whatever, to match your budget. Goodluck :tu

#8 ·
jason190 said:
I was on H-T and a guy was showing a pic of a turbo that he got from them and the intake case was cracked in half. They are garbage. Like I tell all my friends save your money and get what you really want. You'll be alot happier.
This is true. Just stay away from SSautochrome. Go with either a Greddy or Edelbrock kit, or piece together your own kit.

#10 ·
one thing you will find, which i've seen by reading alot on this website and others, is that people who go with a turbocharged setup on any car always end up blowing their budget. you shouldn't expect to slap on a turbo kit and call it a day. you have to consider the clutch, the cooling system, the oil changes, a turbo timer, tuning, fuel delivery and above all tuning. i know i mentioned tuning twice and i'll say it again, tuning.
again i've had very little turbo experience but from what i've researched and read (i've wanted a turbo d-series for a while now) you can't go in it expecting just to spend the money on a starter greddy kit. there will be more to spend later.
just a word of warning.

#11 ·
I must say that ebay is your friend... Buddy... Search around and you can piece together a kit for a lot less than buying one whole kit... Trust me, I have a whole turbo kit and it didn't cost me over $600 all together for everything... TD04

#13 ·
Yeah, so I don't know much about imports (been racing domestics since I was old enough to reach the gas pedal). That said, I don't know hardly anything about turbos except how they work (exhaust pressure driven blower - it's really a genius mechanism, especially considering their simplicity). Now, I'm thinking of getting me a 96-00 Civic and was checking out that Edelbrock Performer X kit. This raises two questions;

1) How fast would an otherwise stock Civic pushing about 180-190hp be on the quarter (with about 150-160ft-lbs)?

2) Where is a good place to learn how to build a turbo kit for those of us whose only experience with turbos is racing our buddies in their Z cars?

Like I said, I understand perfectly how turbos work, and have installed a few superchargers on 5.0L Mustangs and 5.7L Camaros, so I'm confident I can manage a turbo. My big thing is how to pick parts that work well together and where to find tubing for it, as I have no way to bend my own pipes. Would that exhaust bin (with all the 90 degree and whatnot pieces) at AutoZone become my best friend? Ideally I want something in the 12-second range that runs on pump gas and is cheap to build (hence a Civic and not an Integra or Prelude) and is streetable (I’ll be living in the Seattle area soon enough and anyone familiar with the area knows traction problems are only aggravated up there).

#15 ·
1) How fast would an otherwise stock Civic pushing about 180-190hp be on the quarter (with about 150-160ft-lbs)?

2) Where is a good place to learn how to build a turbo kit for those of us whose only experience with turbos is racing our buddies in their Z cars?

1- 180 - 190 is plenty of power in a light honda chasis 86 - 91
96-00 is a waste to even mess with since its a pig of a civic

2- homemadeturbo

#22 ·
norcal4dr said:

1- 180 - 190 is plenty of power in a light honda chasis 86 - 91
96-00 is a waste to even mess with since its a pig of a civic

2- homemadeturbo
pig of a civic?

tard :rolleyes

#23 ·
gurusan said:
pig of a civic?

tard :rolleyes
The EK's are pigs not eg's ! but eg's can be with ...... :p

an EG with nothing power ( p/s ,p/l ,p/w, sunroof) is a light car :clap

i use to hav a 95 dx coupe and it was a very nice chasis without all the power stuff andthe d15b7 carried it well ;)

drove a 95 ex coupe and that thing is a pig with power everything and a sunroof..... on the street its killed but the z6 carries it well on the freeway
96 + ek's are the heaviest civics i've ever been in both coupes and hatches besides the newer civics like the newer sI hatch <----- pig of a hatch :noo

#25 ·
1997 Honda Civic DX HB MT 2319

1992 Honda Civic DX HB MT 2178

1988 Honda Civic HB MT 1933

60 lbs = .10 on the 1/4 on these cars.

do the math.

its also not soley about the gross wieght, but where the wieght was placed as the generations got heavier.

the 60ft numbers from 96+ civics(comparitivly to the older chassis) dont lie about this phenomna

#26 ·
4dr said:
1997 Honda Civic DX HB MT 2319

1992 Honda Civic DX HB MT 2178

1988 Honda Civic HB MT 1933

60 lbs = .10 on the 1/4 on these cars.

do the math.

its also not soley about the gross wieght, but where the wieght was placed as the generations got heavier.

the 60ft numbers from 96+ civics(comparitivly to the older chassis) dont lie about this phenomna
the 60lb = .10th sec calculators are retarded almost like a 1/4 mile calculator
thinking u'll hit this time when in reality u may never get close to that unless your gears r right.... mike i never want to hear you speak of any calculations of weight and track time ! :noo

and to shave a lot of weight remove all sound damping tar ! ;)

something tards need to worry about instead of taking a seat out ! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.