Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think I am swapping a sohc vtec motor in my crx. I am getting the complete swap and didnt think the hydro tranny would work but i dont have an si one and I talked to someone last night and they said it will work just make a bracket or something. Is this true and can anyone explain it? I have an 88 si. Thanks

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
if you wanna use a 92-up civic tranny then you have to convert from cable-to-hydro. jes stick with a cable tranny...its less of a pain.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
3 of the 4 engine mounts of the engine/tranny are on the tranny and the mounts are different on the 4th gen cars in comparision to the 5th gen cars. Use a 4th gen tranny because a 5th gen isn't worth it and won't work without major rigging. I have this swap and it rips if you do everything correct. If you have any more questions on how to do the swap hit me up I can tell you everything you need to know. Peace!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ok cool thanks man um I have a question or two. I need to use a crx si tranny, a crx si distributor, crx si shift linkage, crx si ecu with msd switch for now and anything else I need to use from the crx? I plan on porting and polishing the intake manifold and putting an ls throttle body on it. Also which axles do I use or can I use either? And which exhaust manifold? Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you do a mini-me swap (A6 bottom end from 90-91 CRX Si and top Y8 head from 96-99 Civic EX) you can use your CRX intake. tb, distrib, exhaust, ecu AND you get a higher compression ratio.
My mini-me puts out 125 hp/ 111lbs to the wheels with a 10.2:1 comp ratio.
It is a VERY easy swap!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
1QWKCRX said:
If you do a mini-me swap (A6 bottom end from 90-91 CRX Si and top Y8 head from 96-99 Civic EX) you can use your CRX intake. tb, distrib, exhaust, ecu AND you get a higher compression ratio.
My mini-me puts out 125 hp/ 111lbs to the wheels with a 10.2:1 comp ratio.
It is a VERY easy swap!
Try passing smog in CA with that setup......not going to happen I can tell you that right now.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Si2See said:
Hey ok cool thanks man um I have a question or two. I need to use a crx si tranny, a crx si distributor, crx si shift linkage, crx si ecu with msd switch for now and anything else I need to use from the crx? I plan on porting and polishing the intake manifold and putting an ls throttle body on it. Also which axles do I use or can I use either? And which exhaust manifold? Thanks
Use the CRX Si tranny is has almost the same gear ratios as the S20 tranny anyways (S20=92-95 civic hydro tranny) Use the CRX shift linkage, Use the stock axles since the tranny is the same you can use the stock ones which is the best anyways as the lengths are perfect. You can use either ehaust manifold it's up to you the stock one has better bottom end torque but less top end and tends to choke the VTEC I would use the VTEC manifold as it is a better match to the VTEC engine. Why are you using the stock ECU and crap? MSD switch is a stupid idea trust me it will run fine and the VTEC will hit but the fuel won't be there and you will NEVER!!! realize the potential of the engine. Then you will say the swap was dumb and wasn't worth the money. If you can't hit 15.5 at a minimum then you are not doing something right with the swap or your driving. I believe you should hit more like 15.2 at least but my car could hit better than 15.5 on just a stock motor swap and I out weigh you and my chasis is loonger hence giving more squat under hard launches. Do the wiring and run the VTEC dist., ECU, and do it right. If you can't yet then run the engine as a D16A6 till you get a ECU or whatever is missing. Don't do any VTEC on a switch shit as it won't work right anyways. Seriously don't even do the swap if that's how it is going to end up being when it's done because it won't be fast like that. Also if you do it right it is a legal motor swap and can be certified by the state like mine. Just thing my almost 13 second car is completely legal in every way! Actually might be in the 13's I just haven't taken it to the track so I don't want to talk too much shit.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
well if you do use the rpm switch for the vtec then dont forget to have a d16z6 fuel pressure regulator on your car instead of a d16a6 one.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i have heard that this swap will yield the same times as an LS in a CRX....but i am not sure that is too accurate......i just wish someone made a smog legal turbo kit for the 90-93 integra.....i could always use the GREDDY one for the 96 LS but oh well.....my funds are pretty much being saved for something else...(SEE SIG).....

·
Registered
323 Posts
i beleive that the mini me swap can have about same 1/4 mile times with an ls, because of the weight difference in engines

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
PSIKOTICsi said:
well if you do use the rpm switch for the vtec then dont forget to have a d16z6 fuel pressure regulator on your car instead of a d16a6 one.
Where are you going to get the extra timing from??? The stock ECU will not provide it. And the stock regulator is set to run at 36psi and the D16Z6 is at 38psi just so you'll know if you have questions.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
CRXtc said:
i have heard that this swap will yield the same times as an LS in a CRX....but i am not sure that is too accurate......i just wish someone made a smog legal turbo kit for the 90-93 integra.....i could always use the GREDDY one for the 96 LS but oh well.....my funds are pretty much being saved for something else...(SEE SIG).....
Go to the California Air resources board site on the web you will see the 90-93 RS, LS, GS, and GSR all have a legal Greddy kit made for them. You just need to find out which kit's part number crosses to the Exemption orders for those motors. Probably the 94-95 Integras kit. Almost every Honda has a legal Greddy kit built for it just the web page doesn't say shit about it but the EO's are listed for all kinds of Hondas. Check it out. Do a search for the site cause I'm too lazy to help that much.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
thats what i was thinking.......i know that the 94-96 will bolt up but the EO number wouldnt work if you took it to a shop where they actually checked that crap...what site the EO site?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
how complicated is the d16a6 to d16z6 wiring transfer? i'm thinking i may do a mini me head swap rather than stick with the a6. plus the compression increase would be great with a mild camshaft for the z6 which are easy to find.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
CRXtc said:
thats what i was thinking.......i know that the 94-96 will bolt up but the EO number wouldnt work if you took it to a shop where they actually checked that crap...what site the EO site?
I had the link but it's not working just go to the CARB sitre then search their site and you will find the EO shits then search by manufacturer and look under G for Greddy and you scroll down and find what your looking for. Sorry aparently I wrote it down wrong or something, but I went there and copy and pasted the EO for my turbo kit and printed it to put in my glove box for when I get pulled over for mysterious sounds from the engine bay of my car.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The wiring is fairly easy but you need the wiring harness for the engine and part of it for the interior of the car if you want to do it the easy way. i got mine with the motor for a extra $75.

edit: I am currently working on the entire procedure for doing this swap. Writing it up that is. There is a right way and a wrong way to do it just pay attention to details and think outside the box and you will be able to acheive it. BTW my engine bay looks stock except for the turbo of course. Stock for a 92-95 Si that is.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
how would the obd0-obd1 harness work? all you need to do is wire up the vtec?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts