Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,659 Posts
well first off, for a little extra boost, you can go for the basic i/h/e (intake/header/exhaust)
then after that comes the VTEC controller, the forced induction (NOS or turbo), the list goes on and on man ;)
ghost

· Registered
677 Posts
i say save up some loot and get turbo, i know some cats that run sohc vtec with boost they fockin fast. just if you do, reinforce your motor. he goes through motors like that cause he doesn't build it up and runs hella boost. Go fig?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS

YEA WELL IM GOING TO EVENTUALLY SUPERCHARGE IT I LIKE TURBOS BUT IM NOT TO COOL WITH HAVING TO MAINTAIN THEM AND I WANT TO BE DIFFRENT, IM NOT REALLY INTO NITRIOUS. BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO. AND BY THE WAY ARENT YALL TIRED OF KIDS RICING THERE CAR OUT MAKING IT LOOK LIKE A ROLLING LIGHT SHOW. ALL GO AND NO SHOW ISNT SOMETHING ITS EVERYTHING...

· Registered
624 Posts
Re: THANKS

SKUNK2import said:
YEA WELL IM GOING TO EVENTUALLY SUPERCHARGE IT I LIKE TURBOS BUT IM NOT TO COOL WITH HAVING TO MAINTAIN THEM AND I WANT TO BE DIFFRENT, IM NOT REALLY INTO NITRIOUS. BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO. AND BY THE WAY ARENT YALL TIRED OF KIDS RICING THERE CAR OUT MAKING IT LOOK LIKE A ROLLING LIGHT SHOW. ALL GO AND NO SHOW ISNT SOMETHING ITS EVERYTHING...
Someone posted an awesome image last night, so the credit for it goes to them:

:D

· Registered
83 Posts
Basic intake header exhaust... easy way, and safest way.. next you can try NAWWS.. but i reccomend Turbo.. nothing better than hearing that wonder PSST from the blowoff valve when you rev it up.... Sweet sound... I can get you a turbo kit, Greddy for 1600 shipped.. brand new...

[email protected]

LAterz

· Registered
432 Posts
I just posted this somewhere else too, but I thought it might clear up a few things.....

"VTEC

VTEC is one of Honda's greatest invention. Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport, Honda's engineers feel that turbocharging has disadvantages, primarily bad fuel economy, that made it not totally suitable for street use. At the same time, the advantages of working with smaller engines meant that smaller capacity engines with as high power output as possible (ie very high specific-output engines) are desirable for street engines.

Thus Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines without having to suffer from the disadvantages of turbocharging (though VTEC introduces disadvantages of its own).

The Basic VTEC Mechanism

The basic mechanism used by the VTEC technology is a simple hydraulically actuated pin. This pin is hydraulically pushed horizontally to link up adjacent rocker arms. A spring mechanism is used to return the pin back to its original position.

To start on the basic principle, examine the simple diagram below. It comprises a camshaft with two cam-lobes side-by-side. These lobes drives two side-by-side valve rocker arms.

The two cam/rocker pairs operates independently of each other. One of the two cam-lobes are intentionally drawn to be different. The one on the left has a "wilder" profile, it will open its valve earlier, open it more, and close it later, compared to the one on the right. Under normal operation, each pair of cam-lobe/rocker-arm assembly will work independently of each other.

VTEC uses the pin actuation mechanism to link the mild-cam rocker arm to the wild-cam rocker arm. This effectively makes the two rocker arms operate as one. This "composite" rocker arm(s) now clearly follows the wild-cam profile of the left rocker arm. This in essence is the basic working principle of all of Honda's VTEC engines."

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Re: THANKS

SKUNK2import said:
if you have your mind made up then why are you asking? first you asked what can you do to add power, then after people start making suggestions you say you already made up your mind with a s/c.

· Registered
396 Posts
CivicNOS1 said:
I just posted this somewhere else too, but I thought it might clear up a few things.....

"VTEC

VTEC is one of Honda's greatest invention. Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport, Honda's engineers feel that turbocharging has disadvantages, primarily bad fuel economy, that made it not totally suitable for street use. At the same time, the advantages of working with smaller engines meant that smaller capacity engines with as high power output as possible (ie very high specific-output engines) are desirable for street engines.

Thus Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines without having to suffer from the disadvantages of turbocharging (though VTEC introduces disadvantages of its own).

The Basic VTEC Mechanism

The basic mechanism used by the VTEC technology is a simple hydraulically actuated pin. This pin is hydraulically pushed horizontally to link up adjacent rocker arms. A spring mechanism is used to return the pin back to its original position.

To start on the basic principle, examine the simple diagram below. It comprises a camshaft with two cam-lobes side-by-side. These lobes drives two side-by-side valve rocker arms.

The two cam/rocker pairs operates independently of each other. One of the two cam-lobes are intentionally drawn to be different. The one on the left has a "wilder" profile, it will open its valve earlier, open it more, and close it later, compared to the one on the right. Under normal operation, each pair of cam-lobe/rocker-arm assembly will work independently of each other.

VTEC uses the pin actuation mechanism to link the mild-cam rocker arm to the wild-cam rocker arm. This effectively makes the two rocker arms operate as one. This "composite" rocker arm(s) now clearly follows the wild-cam profile of the left rocker arm. This in essence is the basic working principle of all of Honda's VTEC engines."

Whats all in your engine? Whats your 1/4 mile times?

late
ry

· Registered
432 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Back by popular Demand:

CivicNOS1's SOHC 200HP modlist:

98 Honda Civic EX Coupe...

::ROLLERS::
16" Konig Toxxins
Low Profile Yokohama
Intrax 3" Drop Springs
Arospeed front upper strut bar
Arospeed rear lower strut bar

::pOWER::
DC Sports stainless steel headers
HKS Super Dragger Exhaust (cat back)
Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ultra Team Ignition
NGK Spark Plug Wires & spark plugs
AEM Cold Air Intake
AEM underdrive pulley kit
AEM adjustable cam gear
AEM Hi-flo Fuel Rail
AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Venom SuperCool Fuel Pump
Venom 320cc Fuel Injectors
Vtec Control & Indicator
Engine build up, bulletproofed:
TOP END =
Match Ported & Polished Head
Angle milled surface
3 angle valve grind w/ new guides and seals
Back cut and swirl polished valves
Line honed cam journals
Reed camshaft
Crowler valve springs
BOTTOM END =
Reconditioned, lightened connecting rods
Grind and polished crankshaft
Vatted, Bored 50 over (.50 oversize)
High Compression (11:1) forged Arius Pistons
w/ 4cc dish and valve recess mods
Resurfaced
Balanced complete rolling assembly
Clevite 77 rod bearings
Total Seal piston rings
Modified oil pump for increased flow
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat
Complete seal kit all seals top to bottom
*built with plans for 200shot NOS, 93 octane fuel.
** Final Compression Ratio 11.25:1

::ICE::
Lightning Cell Auto/Audio Battery
Kenwood flip face head unit
Kenwood 4ch 400w amp pushing
two kenwood 6X9's and
two kenwood 5 1/4's
Kenwood 2ch 600w amp pushing
two kenwood 10" tornados
15" Orion XTR sub powered by
600w DHD powercruiser amp
Dynamatted trunk, interior and panels
...i'm gonna build it in one day.... maybe

::RICE::
Altezza Taillights
StreetGlow Blue Undercar Neons
Ignited* Push Button Start
Cusom SilverPearl Paint
Shaved Handles & molding
Omega Security System w/
remote Door Pop.
GTR/Saleen Double Bladed Spoiler
Stillen Front End
Grillecraft
Japanese Blue Catz XLO foglamps
Erebuni Shogun side skirts
Tsunami rear bumper cover
One Wiper... oh
APC Side Marker Lights
Blue H emblem for front
Red H emblem for rear
Hyper White Headlights
Custom Euro/Clear Headlights
Modern Image Graphics
Race Pedals, Shiftnob, & E-brake
Custom Painted blue interior
w/ silver accents
Custom Upholsterred Backseat
and doorpanel fabric
Front seat covers
Dyed carpet and floor mats
Engine Dress Up Kit

· Registered
432 Posts
that would be a long sig

· Registered
396 Posts
CivicNOS1 said:
Back by popular Demand:

CivicNOS1's SOHC 200HP modlist:

98 Honda Civic EX Coupe...

::ROLLERS::
16" Konig Toxxins
Low Profile Yokohama
Intrax 3" Drop Springs
Arospeed front upper strut bar
Arospeed rear lower strut bar

::pOWER::
DC Sports stainless steel headers
HKS Super Dragger Exhaust (cat back)
Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ultra Team Ignition
NGK Spark Plug Wires & spark plugs
AEM Cold Air Intake
AEM underdrive pulley kit
AEM adjustable cam gear
AEM Hi-flo Fuel Rail
AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Venom SuperCool Fuel Pump
Venom 320cc Fuel Injectors
Vtec Control & Indicator
Engine build up, bulletproofed:
TOP END =
Match Ported & Polished Head
Angle milled surface
3 angle valve grind w/ new guides and seals
Back cut and swirl polished valves
Line honed cam journals
Reed camshaft
Crowler valve springs
BOTTOM END =
Reconditioned, lightened connecting rods
Grind and polished crankshaft
Vatted, Bored 50 over (.50 oversize)
High Compression (11:1) forged Arius Pistons
w/ 4cc dish and valve recess mods
Resurfaced
Balanced complete rolling assembly
Clevite 77 rod bearings
Total Seal piston rings
Modified oil pump for increased flow
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat
Complete seal kit all seals top to bottom
*built with plans for 200shot NOS, 93 octane fuel.
** Final Compression Ratio 11.25:1

::ICE::
Lightning Cell Auto/Audio Battery
Kenwood flip face head unit
Kenwood 4ch 400w amp pushing
two kenwood 6X9's and
two kenwood 5 1/4's
Kenwood 2ch 600w amp pushing
two kenwood 10" tornados
15" Orion XTR sub powered by
600w DHD powercruiser amp
Dynamatted trunk, interior and panels
...i'm gonna build it in one day.... maybe

::RICE::
Altezza Taillights
StreetGlow Blue Undercar Neons
Ignited* Push Button Start
Cusom SilverPearl Paint
Shaved Handles & molding
Omega Security System w/
remote Door Pop.
GTR/Saleen Double Bladed Spoiler
Stillen Front End
Grillecraft
Japanese Blue Catz XLO foglamps
Erebuni Shogun side skirts
Tsunami rear bumper cover
One Wiper... oh
APC Side Marker Lights
Blue H emblem for front
Red H emblem for rear
Hyper White Headlights
Custom Euro/Clear Headlights
Modern Image Graphics
Race Pedals, Shiftnob, & E-brake
Custom Painted blue interior
w/ silver accents
Custom Upholsterred Backseat
and doorpanel fabric
Front seat covers
Dyed carpet and floor mats
Engine Dress Up Kit

Would you as a sohc pimp recommend what you have done. I want more power.. And my cars rather pimp now just kinda slow.. with the d16y8. I have to many choices.. I like the fact that my engine is mine and dont have to buy a new used one. I like that fact that i ran mobil one from day one and took car of her. I do like the fact that putting a b18b or b20z gives me huge a huge torqe increase. SO what im asking was it worth it? I would rather go all out engine so I am more realiable. But have nos 150 shot when the extra power is needed. Or would u say get a whole new block cause sohc isnt worth it?

Engine pics?
car pics?
i wanna see :)

· Registered
160 Posts
exhaust...............

get that tenzo type s exhaust made especially for hondas........... i heard it's at least a 20-30 lbs/ft. not too shabby for an wxhaust system.

peace
scott g:( ;) :D :rolleyes: :p :eek: :cool:

· Registered
15 Posts
I the basic bolt-ons are good for the torqe on the SOHC VTECs, I have Intake, cam gear, and a 3 peice pulley set from UNorthodox Racing. If you buy pullies don't buy the AEM kit. It doesn't include the crank pulley which gives the most performance. It's alittle more expencive (about $300 for the set) but worth it. I also have an exhaust, but it's 3" custom so it SUCKS for my set up right now. But it will be rockin once i can save up for turbo.

· Registered
432 Posts
RYAN, THANKS!

Yeah, I'd recommend my setup again... But people with turbo say 'get a turbo' and people with swaps say 'get a swap'

My response is always "do you want to say, wow, there's a car with some other car's engine in it" or "man, that car with that turbo that's gonna last less than 100k miles is pretty fast..." I think the way I went is the best way to go, because you don't have to spend all your money at once, each thing can be bought separately... PLUS.. the mods you've done up until that point if you've got an engine swap or turbo won't work.. you gotta toss 'em! The most expensive mod, and you don't have to go all out with this, is my $2000 rebuild. You can probably get it done for a little cheaper. ALSO, you can get it done LAST if you're in high school and don't have enough cash to blow all on one part. You can spend little here and there till you get all the bolt-ons, and then hook your baby up with the build.

ALSO, no pics right now... if i did have some, you'd see a big ball of unpainted fiberglass!

I've got everything I need, but I need a stretch of at least 5 days for it to get over 60 degrees.

Dang. I was going to do it this week, but we had one heck of a cold sweep here in GA. ONE day 70 degrees.... NEXT day 16? It sucks.

I have some VERY OLD pics though... 3 wings, 2 bumpers, and over a year ago..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.