Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a D15B sohc Vtec LSD transmission for my 92 civic SI HB. how much work do i need to do to get this transmission to go in my car? i thought i heard that the D15B uses equal length half shafts(CV axels) so im not sure if i can use my axels or if i have to use the intermediate shaft.... anyone have any idea if this is just a typical transmission swap or not?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pretty sure its the DOHC non-vtec ZC tranny that uses the equal length shafts. The d15b LSD tranny I think works fine in any d-series.

Bump for confirmation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awsome! i guess ill be buying one of these trannies real soon, any problems swapping them in? linkage and all that is most likely the same then... this makes me very happy.... i was worried about the axels mainly.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i had a long talk with the guys at the shop who did the D15B VTEC swap in my civic when i picked it up, and everything they told me suggests that no D series transmission swaps (well from 88-00 anyway) are really any more or less difficult than others. converting from cable to hydro does present some issues (and going the other way is a big no-no for the most part), but that's about it.

just so you know, adding a good aftermarket LSD to an EX/SI tranny (manual that is) will produce similar results, sometimes for a bit less money too. depends on how much you're paying for each (the D15 tranny does have slightly more aggressive gearing if i recall correctly, but the factory LSD isn't the best. using a good EX/Si tranny with a good aftermarket helical LSD will produce much better results).

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
No way is it anyway cheaper to do a aftermarket LSD than a D15B tranny. I got quoted $345 shipped from a import supplier for one. A quaife is around $1000 alone let alone getting it installed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
^^^true, true. And eventhough the LSD in the d15b is not as strong you'd have to blown 3 trannies before the cost of a built d16 w/LSD. I wish I had LSD anyway I can get it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the reasons why i want the tranny is because i put in an EX tranny in it(still have the original) and it has 188k miles, the original had 163k...and its due to be replaced and i can get the D15B tranny kind of local for $250 i pick it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.