Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is computer stuff not Honda, but maybe someone can help me out.

What the hell is wrong with a Windows XP LAN?
I have 2 PCs connected via router. Both have access to the
internet through that router.
But when I try to access these comps via LAN I have problems

First the two computers did not see each other. 1no see2, 2 no see1
Then they magically did. It worked for about 5 min. 1 see 2, 2 see 1
Then one saw the other, and could transfer files, but the other
could not 1 see 2, 2 no see 1
Now neither computer is aware of the other's existance.
BUT I did not change anything. Only time passed by.
(Ok I restarted once before the last problem, but that's it.)

How the hell does that happen? And how do I fix it? Anyone?
Plz help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Run Windows Networking Wizard or whatever, make sure the computers are on the same workgroup, user accessibility settings etc.

Sometimes they do tricky things... What I do is just log off and log back on and usually they can see each other.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Firstly are you using XP Pro or Home?
Secondly you need to make sure that both pc's are in the same workgroup.
Thirdly you need to make sure that both pc's have the same user account on them, the account name needs to be spelled exactly the same way and it needs to have the exact same password.
Fourth turn the stupid windows firewall off. It does nothing but deny access to anything, which is good if you're paranoid until you realize that for people of talent it's easy to get around.
Fifth relax, eat a cookie and come back and tell us if any of this works.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5gencivic said:
Firstly are you using XP Pro or Home?
Secondly you need to make sure that both pc's are in the same workgroup.
Thirdly you need to make sure that both pc's have the same user account on them, the account name needs to be spelled exactly the same way and it needs to have the exact same password.
Fourth turn the stupid windows firewall off. It does nothing but deny access to anything, which is good if you're paranoid until you realize that for people of talent it's easy to get around.
Fifth relax, eat a cookie and come back and tell us if any of this works.
1:pro.
2:yes MsHome
3:not yet just changed that but may not work still
4:It's always off
5:done

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
you do not need to have the same account info on both computers. i don't know how that shared document folder works but if you wanna share a drive, right click on that drive and choose "sharing" then enable it. pretty much everything else you have done.

i don't think this is neccessary but each of my computers always have a static ip. i don't know if that'll make a difference but i've never had any problems with networking my computers.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
you do not need to have the same account info on both computers. i don't know how that shared document folder works but if you wanna share a drive, right click on that drive and choose "sharing" then enable it. pretty much everything else you have done.

i don't think this is neccessary but each of my computers always have a static ip. i don't know if that'll make a difference but i've never had any problems with networking my computers.
Every single time I've ever done a peer to peer (and I do this for a living) I have had to setup consistant users on each of the pc's to get the access to work every time correctly. If you don't you'll get it to work some times and then it won't others. Getting the username/password consistant on each pc for each user on the workgroup is just a basic thing you should do. It takes one variable out.

ib042129 did you change the username or the "name" in the user tab? if you're not sure then create new users on each box and see if you can access shares on each across the network. Do you have any other type of software firewall running on these boxes?

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
5gencivic said:
Every single time I've ever done a peer to peer (and I do this for a living) I have had to setup consistant users on each of the pc's to get the access to work every time correctly. If you don't you'll get it to work some times and then it won't others. Getting the username/password consistant on each pc for each user on the workgroup is just a basic thing you should do. It takes one variable out.

ib042129 did you change the username or the "name" in the user tab? if you're not sure then create new users on each box and see if you can access shares on each across the network. Do you have any other type of software firewall running on these boxes?
actually your both right.. sometimes. it does help having the users consistent on both computers, unless you have a server running but thats a different story. but you dont always need the user info consistent, sometimes windows will just let you onto the other computer, i believe if you are running professional, it should prompt you for a username and password.

as far as the computers having to have a static ip, that is false, thats what god made DNS for :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.