Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/14/eveningnews/main674120.shtml

(CBS) College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and fellow researcher David Porter at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
:mad :mad :boo :fu :fu :boo
wtf?????????
WTF????????
they're trying to charge on every single shizzzzz....are they on crack? WTF???????

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
if this really happens, cali is the first one to implement it...and i'll be the first one to move out of cali...damn...:fu :fu :boo :boo :fu :fu

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I wonder what would happen when you go over the speed limit, would the tax be more :ninja . This is the most stupidest shit I have ever heard. I mean really how many hybrid's are out there. Well I guess our gov will find a way to get us. :bh :bh :bh

·
Registered
884 Posts
More people will start using public transportation, it's that simple. also, people will start to work closer to home if possible. What i don't understand is that with the money being made off the gas tax by SUVs that regularly fill up as well as gas prices being at an all time high, how can the various state governments complain of losing money. I think it may be more an issue of where the gas tax money goes. If I remember correctly, in California the majority of money made off the gas tax is "borrowed" by Gov. Szwarzenneger(i don't know how to spell his name, so sue me, lol) to offset the state's massive debt instead of going to local governments and agencies responsible for the upkeep of public roads.

As it is, the gas tax isn't a whole lot per gallon, maybe 10 cents, if that. However, charging by the mile can be either very profitable or a major disaster. It was mentioned that the surcharge would be added to your fill up. Ultimately, it should balance out. Whether you drive an 8 mi/gal SUV or a 60 mi/gal hybrid, your tax will be the same after 600 mi are driven. It could be a major benefit. If your fill up is let's say $70 for your SUV and you've driven 300 mi with a tax of let's say 3 cents per mile, that's $9. While your hybrid has a fill up of $25 after 600mi, with a tax of $18. Per 600 miles, everyone is still paying the same thing, you're just spending more or less on the gasoline itself. Me, I'll move to public transportation or carpooling, hehe and save the real driving for weekend race sessions. Plus, we're all pretty capable guys, you can always disable or block the signal to the satellite or even remove the device all together, maybe not on your daily driver, but def on your toy.

Anyway, the way this is implemented will determine it's success or failure among the general population.

·
Registered
866 Posts
who are the treehuggers that come up with this crap??? do they know most people dont' have a choice of what time they have to get to work and what time they have to leave?????

they want to discourage peak time usage during the workweek. ok, that's fine but if i get fired for not showing up to work on time, there's gonna be hell to raise. and the vast majority of the US doesnt' have sufficient public transportation for people in suburbs and outlyign areas to get to work. i lived in the chicago suburbs, one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country and to even get to the train to ride into the city i had to drive at least 20 min on the freeway just to get to the station. why don't they just tax us everytime we take a breath?? bastards!! :noo

·
Registered
884 Posts
DDR2 said:
who are the treehuggers that come up with this crap???
they want to discourage peak time usage during the workweek. bastards!!!
Why do they have to be treehuggers?? I would say capitalists. I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up sooner. Think about it... charging by the mile? everyone else does it, truckers, taxi drivers, limo companies(by the hour and/or mile whichever is more profitable). It's a wonder something like this hasn't made the news sooner. The reasons are questionable, but the idea itself is very profitable and was bound to pop up sooner or later.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Alex33 said:
Why do they have to be treehuggers?? I would say capitalists. I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up sooner. Think about it... charging by the mile? everyone else does it, truckers, taxi drivers, limo companies(by the hour and/or mile whichever is more profitable). It's a wonder something like this hasn't made the news sooner. The reasons are questionable, but the idea itself is very profitable and was bound to pop up sooner or later.

truckers, limo drivers and tax drivers drive for a living. clothes you buy at the department store dont' come withotu a tax. neither does a ride from your house to the airport in a taxi or limo. clothes are a product, the rides provided by limos and taxes are a service but both are taxed. i understand that revenues need to be generated but i think there has to be another way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
DDR2 said:
truckers, limo drivers and tax drivers drive for a living. clothes you buy at the department store dont' come withotu a tax. neither does a ride from your house to the airport in a taxi or limo. i understand that revenues need to be generated but i think this one needs to be discussed in much further detail before they implement it.
I agree with you 100% I was just making a point that there is a charge for the usage of any product/service and although we already pay gas tax to cover road usage and repairs, it was only a matter of time before another method of revenue was developed. But I digress, you are right, this does need to be discussed further. I know if given an option, I sure as hell wouldn't let them install a GPS tracking system in my car. They'll have to pass a law and even then I'll probably "forget" to go down to have it installed for a while anyway, just like the Front License Plate laws, lol.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
this is a retarded idea

·
Registered
842 Posts
Another thing that doesn't ultimately make sense...peak usage. Let's say 5:00 is rush hour or whatever in your city. The govt implements this tax by mile, and you'll get charged more tax for the 5-6pm commute home. SO what happens next? Businesses might start to "help out" employees and shift work hours so they do not need to commute during peak hours. Over time, you see the peak hour shift away from 5-6 and more like 4:30-5:30 or even 4-5. Then what?? Is the gov't going to keep shifting the peak usage hour every couple years?

I agree with you all...it's pointless.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
OH COME ON........ dat dude just trying to save money using his SMALL hybrid car if he drove a HYBRID TANKs or 18wheelers then the state should worry about the road condition. they should tax those HUGE BIG HEAVY SUVs and TRUCKS... not the small cars that weight like a feather compare to those monsters.

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
njn63 said:
#2. if i rollback my odometer to a mileage below what i had before i went to the pump would i get money back? :ninja
#3. On older cars the mileage isn't kept on the ecu so it would be VERY easy to fool the pump if it reads off the odometer. How would it read off of that anyways?

Long story short, if they did it, it wouldn't work. Too many dishonest people driving old cars. If they do, i'll just pop my hood and remove the speedo sender. No miles=no tax. I'm a genious.

The plan is to install GPS systems in every car to track the mileage, so messing with the odometer won't work.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
05 tC said:
The plan is to install GPS systems in every car to track the mileage, so messing with the odometer won't work.
how would they go about doing it on every car? Not every Owner is ganna let someone just install something in their car

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Mycivicjust8u said:
how would they go about doing it on every car? Not every Owner is ganna let someone just install something in their car

Well they have already talked about putting chips in license plates in Japan so it wouldn't be that hard.

Oh yeah and we would be screwed here in Atlanta.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.