Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the civic world really. i bought an 08 mugen si wheich i love, but i want more power from it so im going turbo. i dont know anything about k20 internals and was wondering what i need to upgrade to be able to run 10 psi boost reliably. and possibly more then that in the future. thanks for the help

· Registered
4,633 Posts
First thing you need to understand is that "psi of boost" isn't enough information to determine any factors of safety. You need to find out how much horsepower the stock block can take. A big turbo at 5psi could make the same power as a small turbo at 9psi...both with completely different powerbands.

I'm not a K-series guy, so I don't know the going rating for how much power the stock block can take (for example, the B18 motors can usually take 300whp on stock internals without running into issues). So search around and figure out what some conservative numbers are for the Civic, or some numbers it can take with some internal building.

You also need to find a K-series tuner that has K-Pro or AEM software (or anything that can tune OBD2 K-series cars). You need to figure out what turbo you want to go with, and whether or not you want to try and find a "kit" or do it all custom. Most of the kits come with generic turbos that usually don't make the power where you want it when compared with choosing your own turbo.

You need to do a lot of research before even thinking about buying anything. Don't rush into it. Take a few or several months to become fairly knowledgeable about all the variables when boosting....from engine internals, to boost accessories, to boost plumbing, to pre-ignition/detonation, tuning, exhaust systems from the manifold down to the pipe sizing, proper turbo sizing, fuel delivery, tires.......etc...

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
i took a year in researching different stuff for my d series boost project. was looking to put down at least 400whp. that was a year wasted. I no longer have the civic. but I now have an engine that I can boost well over 400whp :) I just have to start by buying the really expensive parts. :(

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
You and your name changing powers...
I don't know if they realize who I really am. I know a couple do but some of the others talk to me like they don't know.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Get a basic understanding about boost and engine dynamics. Your learning starts here: TurboByGarrett.com - Tech Center
Read and understand this information and you will be well on your way. Hondas are just another car, they aren't special and thus follow the same boosting guidelines.

I'll give you some advice with that K series though, they are built for naturally aspirated setups and you'll probably need a new cam to get great performance out of your K20. The valve overlap dumps some boost down the exhaust.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Get a basic understanding about boost and engine dynamics. Your learning starts here: TurboByGarrett.com - Tech Center
Read and understand this information and you will be well on your way. Hondas are just another car, they aren't special and thus follow the same boosting guidelines.

I'll give you some advice with that K series though, they are built for naturally aspirated setups and you'll probably need a new cam to get great performance out of your K20. The valve overlap dumps some boost down the exhaust.
That Garrett site is saweeet. I got all the guys on my formula team to read that so when I talked about my turbo project for it they would understand what I was talkin about.

You should be able to dial out the overlap with a set of adjustable cam gears. Not that I've seen the cam overlap diagram for the K-series, but you'd think you could dial out stock cam overlap enough so you don't lose 50% of your boost.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts

that right there is the shit. I read it over and over and over. has alot of different formulas to figure out which turbo to use and all sorts of cool shit. I downloaded the adobe file and kept it just in case they disappeared with the online file

· Registered
4,633 Posts
However, I'm too lazy to actually check those formulas lol. They seem pretty close, but I know before I submit my design I'll actually have to show some work and come up with the same formulae based on my Fluids and Thermodynamic courses......but I so don't wanna do that....someone do it for me.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
That Garrett site is saweeet. I got all the guys on my formula team to read that so when I talked about my turbo project for it they would understand what I was talkin about.

You should be able to dial out the overlap with a set of adjustable cam gears. Not that I've seen the cam overlap diagram for the K-series, but you'd think you could dial out stock cam overlap enough so you don't lose 50% of your boost.
However, I'm too lazy to actually check those formulas lol. They seem pretty close, but I know before I submit my design I'll actually have to show some work and come up with the same formulae based on my Fluids and Thermodynamic courses......but I so don't wanna do that....someone do it for me.
damn I didn't see you post up before me. the good thing about adjustable cams is they will adjust out the over lap if needed. they move enough to cover 1 tooth movement. so if it doesn't work then move the belt or chains over one tooth and go from there

I'm so sure garret took the time to make sure the formulas are right

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Yea, I'm apt to trust Garrett as well...I already used their formulas to part out the turbo I want to use. Garrett is definitely getting a resumé from me after I graduate. Borg-Warner too lol. Guess Skunk2 and Edelbrock should get some too...stupid nose diving auto industry...

· Registered
234 Posts
some things to note. k pro isnt available for the new civic si's because of the fly by wire throttle system. so something custom would be in order. yes the motor are great all motor but if know anything about turbocharged hondas they make the most power with aggressive all motor cams.

also you can get an adjustable exhaust cam gear but the intake is controlled by the computer.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
some things to note. k pro isnt available for the new civic si's because of the fly by wire throttle system. so something custom would be in order. yes the motor are great all motor but if know anything about turbocharged hondas they make the most power with aggressive all motor cams.

also you can get an adjustable exhaust cam gear but the intake is controlled by the computer.
theres already DIY write ups on how to swap to a cable throttle body you just have to find them

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Im new to the civic world really. i bought an 08 mugen si wheich i love, but i want more power from it so im going turbo. i dont know anything about k20 internals and was wondering what i need to upgrade to be able to run 10 psi boost reliably. and possibly more then that in the future. thanks for the help
dude i just noticed your in fayatteville. I'm up there all the time. pretty much every weekend hanging out.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Is it possible to post files like PDFs on here and store them on super honda?

I got a turbocharging PDF file that uses a 350 as an example and has many calculations in it where you should be able to approximate your actual hp/tq just on the knowledge that in it. I havent read the new parts to garretts site yet as I've been working alot but I'll at least host that file on my angelfire page.

Here it is, uploaded. I went to search it up for someone on the web a week ago and couldn't get it. Good thing I downloaded it.

http://www.angelfire.com/games/marshallmort/turbochargers.pdf

Yea adjustable cam gears would definately allow you to fix the overlap problem. I love the fact that they mention air filter sizing for your turbocharger on garretts site, so many noobs don't know about CFM.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
alot of people think in terms of psi and thats not whats important. cfm is where its at

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Sweet find!

Do you know anything about the company that published the PDF?

I only have like...uhh...6/8 of the courses under my belt that are needed to completely derive those equations. Looks pretty sweet though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.