Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
does it have lsd? and is that price shipped?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kommon_sense said:
Yes, that is a good deal. A complete b16a2 goes for $2300-$2600 *BEFORE* shipping. So if that is $3k installed, then that is a good deal. Make sure that they can provide papers on the engine to make sure that it is legit.
how about H22A installed for $3200 installed? should I go for h22a or b16a2 for my 95 civic hatch ???

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Don't knwo about prices for a h22a, but $3200 installed sounds pretty good. I would want to see their work beforehand though and make sure that the engines are legit. Last thing you need is to get pulled over after a swap, have the officer run the numbers on your engine and it comes up stolen, because they can take your engine as it is stolen property. Sucks, but that is what can happen if you buy from a shady shop.

Personally, I would avoid the h22 because there are not very many aftermarket parts for it. It is getting better, but still short supply. The b16a2 isn't very impressive. I would really shoot for a b18c1. Of course, it also depends on what your goals are.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
3200 seems pretty cheap for the h22a swap.
ask them what mounts they are putting on it and what other things they do at the same time.
and there is near as much h22a parts now as tehre is B series, just fewer vendors so you have to look a bit harder.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
v4lu3s said:
and there is near as much h22a parts now as tehre is B series, just fewer vendors so you have to look a bit harder.
word
SCC had a whole section of parts listings for the H awhile back
everything they had listed for the b-series in a previous issue was listed for the H

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Be aware that if you go with the h22 that you will probably want to do some suspension work as well as the h22 is considerably heavier than the stock engine and will throw the cars balance off. You should be able to correct it with suspension mods. Just making sure that you know this beforehand.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
honestly the h22a swap price seems a bit on the low side to me, since the cost of a mount kit, axles and more labor and wiring is needed to be factored in beyond a B series swap...but if they are serious about the price and have references (past custoemrs that are happy with the h22 swaps done in their civics) it would be worth it.
i spent more than that and did all teh labor myself on my swap that is why i am dubious sof the quality...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the info guys...
I decided to go with B16A2...I'd love to go b18 or h22a but too bad I'm on a budget.

One more thing, what's the difference between LSD tranny and hydraulic tranny?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
changs4 said:
what's the difference between LSD tranny and hydraulic tranny?
Those aren't 2 opposite things at all. LSD is a type of differential unit inside the trans that keeps both wheels turning going straight, but meters power to them differently going through corners. A hydraulic trans jsut means the cluth release lever is actuated hydraulically instead of with a cable mechanism.

A hydraulic trans can have an LSD in it, so can a cable trans. If you have a 92-up Civic you need a hydraulic tranny, an LSD is an option but if you can afford it you should get it.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
changs4 said:
what do you mean?:confused:
I wonder that too. What, you think he should look for a shop far away to do the swap? What sense does that make? And it's not like LSD is super common, only JDM and ITR trannies had them stock, and those typically fetch big money. IT's not reasonable to expect a full swap, all labor, and extras like LSD for only $3000. What do you think is fair sev?

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
kommon_sense said:
The b16a2 isn't very impressive. I would really shoot for a b18c1. Of course, it also depends on what your goals are.
I am gonna have to disagree with you here or ask you to justify/explain your reasoning...

The b16a is an awesome motor, Im not saying the b18c1 isn't good either but what makes the c1 impressive and the b16a not? With the mods I have done to my b16a (see profile) I made more power on the dyno then a stock ITR (we both were dynoed on the same dyno) and I really dont have that much into the motor. Sure the b18 has slightly more torque but its not like were talking about anything to write home about. All B series motors mine as well not have torque at all :p

To say that the b16a is not a impressive motor to build, but the b18c1 is imo is a false. If anything I think buying a b18c1 is a waste of money. If your gonna spend that much more then a b16a you mine as well get the c5. (Unless of course your looking to go FI, but then the b18b is a great choice as well.)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
The B16 is nice, but as we've mentioned in the D-series forum many times, for the cost of a stock swap you can build a Y8 to whale on the B16. Obviously the B16 has more potential & tuning capabilites, than the D-series, but if you've only got enough for the swap and no other goodies you might as well invest in the sohc instead and be lighter & faster with more torque too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts