Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so the front of my car got ran over by a truck... so i decided to buy some projectors without doing any research, or knowing what i was buying...

so i got these...

^^^Click image for "full size" (gi-normous) picture.^^^​

well, they suck. lighting is ok, except that ive replaced 4 bulbs in around 12 months, many of which i didn't drive beacuse i had no license. and to replace the bulbs, unlike the factory, you have to remove the headlight. there is NO way around it, believe me i've tried. not even on the passenger side. also the projector lights are H1, which are typically used in fog lights.

but they look cool with the halos lit up, too bad two of them were burnt out already when i got them. :mad

SONAR brand projectors are a no-no people.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HyperFlow02 said:
why would you buy something like that w/ out doing any research?
1)because of the lack of headlights on my car, for one thing...
2)having only 1 car to drive with no headlights = you can't legally drive
3)because the insurance wouldn't pay for oem headlights, so i would've gotten aftermarket ones anyway
4)they were cheaper than oem headlights and i was on a fixed budget

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had those same exact lights. I bought them from nopi. I had them on my car for about six months and never had a burnt bulb. The angel eyes looked great at night and I got alot of compliments. The reason I got rid of them was because they fogged up every time it rained or went through the car wash.
I finally switched to some quality name brand lighting (elegante by TYC), and I am very satisfied. excellent light output and absolutely no fogging.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe they came with fog light bulbs, instead of headlight bulbs, so they burnt out quicker, and i know for a fact i accidently purchased fog lihgt bubls instead of headlight bulbs for them in the past... i just wasn't really paying attention to what i was buying because i needed a replacement quick...

btw and mine have never fogged up

·
Registered
30 Posts
control1200 said:
I had those same exact lights. I bought them from nopi. I had them on my car for about six months and never had a burnt bulb. The angel eyes looked great at night and I got alot of compliments. The reason I got rid of them was because they fogged up every time it rained or went through the car wash.
I finally switched to some quality name brand lighting (elegante by TYC), and I am very satisfied. excellent light output and absolutely no fogging.
is it easy to replace bulbs? Or do you have to remove the whole thing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
as far as changing bulbs on the angel eye's, it's a little cramped getting to the low beam, but it's not too difficult.

Most projectors use an H1 size bulb. My old cheap angel eye headlights used H1's and my new TYC headlights use H1 bulbs also.
Almost every major bulb co. makes this size (sylvania silverstar, piaa, etc..)
Also, HID lighting is available in this size.

what I really hated about my angle eye's, was that you had to remove the whole headlight housing in order to adjust the height of the low beam. I had to do this when I lowered my car. First you remove the bumper, then unscrew the headlight, adjust the beam, put headlight back, and see if beam is where you want it, if not, repeat.
believe me, it was a pain in the ass. Also the angle eye rings where only visible at night.

If you want some good lights, get some TYC's. Very good output, no fog, and you don't have to remove the whole headlight in order to adjust.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, for the most part, changing the bulbs is a PITA, but they were a cheaper replacement than stock headlights (i paid just over $100 for the pair, brand new)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Headlight LED Ring

Hi all, On the subject of Sonar Projector Headlights. I've had mine about six months once again due to the front end being altered against its will. I've had no problems with fogging (Yet) but bulb replacement is a PIATA which leads me to a question, is there an easy way to replace the LED bulb for the headlight ring, without detaching the front lens from the headlight body?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the bulb is actually connected to the ring itself, so there's no way to replace the halo w/o either making one or buying a replacement.

·
Registered
526 Posts
projectors suck plain and simple....lightin and reliability both suck big time...the only exception are the tyc brand projectors

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
greenc51 said:
projectors suck plain and simple....lightin and reliability both suck big time...the only exception are the tyc brand projectors
tyc projectors suck just as much as the next brand... don't shit yourself :rolleyes

·
Registered
526 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
tyc projectors suck just as much as the next brand... don't shit yourself :rolleyes
nice comeback :clap
i still stand by what i said

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't know who made the ones I got, but they work fine, not one bulb has burt out and after adjusting them, they put out great like. The low beams use a H3 bulb size and the high beams use a H1 and the parking lights use a 1157 & 194 size bulbs. I like them a lot and for the amount of my I paid for them, I should damb well like them. LOL :cry

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I got some off ebay SONAR or whatever, they were a pain in the ASS to install, Ihad to trim some of the fender away on the inside to get them to line up right. they do line up ok and they look great. light output is sorta kinda good, low beams suck and I will be changing out to some super yellow GT stile bulbs. high beams do just fine.

car look nice ith them, complement the stelth look well.

IMO, ok product and it does need to be worked on to be perfect. basic little things need to be adjusted and changed in order to make them great.

IMO woth the 100 dollar saving over the TYC's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts