Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Sony ends production of original PlayStation

435 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NaPPyDUgout01 
#1 ·
Tis a necessary yet sad day. :cry RIP PS1. :bow

Sony ends production of original PlayStation

Ellie Gibson 10:41 27/03/2006

More than 100 million sold worldwide

More than a decade after the original PlayStation went into production and with more than 100 million units sold worldwide, Sony has confirmed that manufacturing of the 32-bit console has finally ceased.

PlayStation launched in Japan in December 1994, with US and European releases following in June 1995. The console was redesigned and relaunched in 2000 as the PSone, and last year, Sony announced that 103 million units had been shipped globally.

Sony has already confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will be backwards compatible with PSone games, as is the PS2. It's also been announced that an emulator which will allow PSP owners to play PSone games on their handheld is currently in development.

See less See more
#4 ·
A similar article from GameSpy:

Sony Ends Production of PSone

Sony has ended production of their groundbreaking first console, the PSone.
By GameSpy Staff | March 24, 2006

Sony has confirmed that the company has stopped production of its first game console, the PSone. This news comes in light of the upcoming release of the PlayStation 3, the backwards compatibility of the PlayStation 2, and the recently announced PSone emulation for the handheld PlayStation Portable.

The original PlayStation took the gaming world by storm, as of last year having sold over 100 million systems worldwide, the first console to ever reach that mark. Originally released in 1994, the game system brought some of the most critically acclaimed games, as well as some of the biggest hits in gaming history to the masses, including Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The original PlayStation saw a redesign in September 2000 with the PSone, a slimmer, more compact unit with the full functionality of the original.

The halting of production should not mark the end of availability for the storied console, however, as original PlayStation hardware and software can still be found in stores worldwide. Gamers will also soon be able to download PSone games for their PSP, made available via digital distribution.

#5 ·
another reason why the PSP isn't really an amazing handheld. they're just copying old releases over to the psp. it may be a more high tech handheld but the DS definately has the innovative and fun factor. definately worth the $129. i dunno if you can say the same for the psp.

#6 ·
I still remember taking my first PS1 home... :p

I was a pretty early adaptor as I had returned a SEGA Saturn and used that store credit to front my PS1 purchase. I think I picked mine up the 2nd week it was out.

I think my first game was Need for Speed. X-Com: UFO Defense and DOOM were also early purchases. They still were using the oversized jewel cases at the time.

Ahhhh... good times...! :eek:

#8 ·
i remember having to use mulitiple disks and having to stop game play to switch them out.

one time i had rented a game, played all the way through 3 disks and when i put the fourth on it..i didn't work, scratched. i was pissed beyond all belief :mad

#9 ·
Shiba-Kun said:
I still remember taking my first PS1 home... :p

I was a pretty early adaptor as I had returned a SEGA Saturn and used that store credit to front my PS1 purchase. I think I picked mine up the 2nd week it was out.

I think my first game was Need for Speed. X-Com: UFO Defense and DOOM were also early purchases. They still were using the oversized jewel cases at the time.

Ahhhh... good times...! :eek:

lol i still have my saturn. I love that thing Panzeer Dragoon and burning rangers for life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.