Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing how long the PS2 has remained a viable piece of hardware. I still play mine almost as frequently as my PS3. With games like the Nobunaga's Ambition series, Yakuza 1-2, Persona series, fighting games, etc. I still find new PS2 games I'd like to try out.

Sony Reduces Price of PlayStation 2 To $99.99

Patricia Resende, newsfactor.com – Tue Mar 31, 12:48 pm ET

Sony Computer Entertainment America has made the cut. The consumer entertainment-device maker cut the price of the popular Sony PlayStation 2 gaming console by 25 percent on Tuesday.

Beginning April 1, the Sony PlayStation 2 will be priced at $99.99. Sony hopes to tap into a market of gamers who weren't born when PS2 was launched in 2000, according to John Koller, director of hardware marketing.

"In the gaming industry, the typical life cycle for a console is around five years, but because we build each of our platforms for a large and diverse consumer base, we design our platforms differently," Koller wrote in a PS2 blog post. "With the original PlayStation and now PlayStation 2, we've proven that consumers can rely on our platforms for their gaming and entertainment needs for at least a decade."

Just as PS2 has reached a decade of being on the shelves, Sony Entertainment President Jack Tretton believes PlayStation 3 will have the same success. "We believe PlayStation 3 offers the same promise by helping secure the Blu-ray format and delivering unprecedented value as the total home entertainment solution for the next decade," he said.

Mixed Reactions

Sony also made the cut to reach a group of users unable to afford the gaming console at its full price, and that led to some happy consumers, including someone with the screen name Monsignor.

"YES!!!! I've been waiting for this price to drop below $100 for over eight years," said the poster on Sony's blog. "Finally, I can now go out and buy it and see what all this fuss is about. Thanks, Sony."

While a minority of posters were happy with the price cut, a majority of comments from gamers indicated disappointment. Users had hoped for either a price cut for the PS3 or new firmware.

"The PS2 is a system that is dying and its glory days are in the past," said a poster that goes by Lemm. "This price drop will temporarily increase sales, but its immediate fate is certainly nearing and the people willing to buy the system at such a reduced price likely won't be the ones buying much new software for the system."

"Sony continues to make great games and hardware for their systems, but when it comes to business decisions I think they're out to lunch," Lemm added.

Poster Aggie CEO said people need to stop complaining about the drop not being on the PS3. "A PS3 drop would ruin Sony at this point; it's called business and if they drop the PS3 they would be in a bigger hole than they are now," the poster said.

Moving Beyond a Milestone

The price cut comes just weeks after Sony announced it had reached a milestone with the video-game console with 50 million sold in North America. Worldwide, Sony has sold more than 136 million.

Along with the decrease in price, Sony is touting additional game titles, including MLB '09, GhostBusters, Guitar Hero Metallica, and MotorStorm in an effort to target a family of gamers similar to what Nintendo has done with its Wii gaming system.

"The price cut puts the PS2 at a very attractive price point, particularly during these recessionary times," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier. "The PS2 has remained a viable system at retail, even several years after the next generation of console systems have been available."

"There is definitely a value-driven market out there, and this price cut puts the PS2 at a mass-market-friendly price and should stimulate an increase in hardware sales," Frazier added. "The number-one reason consumers buy a hardware system is because of the games available to play on that system, and there is a vast catalog of PS2 content still available for consumers to enjoy."

"This couldn't come at a better time, as now more than ever families are looking to spend more time at home and looking for great entertainment choices on a budget," said Al De Leon, PR manager for Sony Computer Entertainment America. "For under $100, the PlayStation 2 provides great entertainment value as both a video-game console and a home entertainment hub with DVD and CD playback, online gaming capabilities, and much more."

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting news. PS2 has finally hit the $100 mark, but it shouldn't be too long until they wont be found on selves anymore.
I dunno. Considering it's got features like the DVD player and there won't be a new PS for another 7 years (PS3 = 10 year plan), I think the PS2 lifecycle is gonna be A-OK. I guess it'll matter more on the amount of new software that comes out for it.

For example, the PS2 software section in my local GameStop and Toys-R-Us is still larger (amount of shelving space) then their PS3 section and the PS3 is 2.5 years old.:(

· Registered
6,012 Posts
I dunno. Considering it's got features like the DVD player and there won't be a new PS for another 7 years (PS3 = 10 year plan), I think the PS2 lifecycle is gonna be A-OK. I guess it'll matter more on the amount of new software that comes out for it.

For example, the PS2 software section in my local GameStop and Toys-R-Us is still larger (amount of shelving space) then their PS3 section and the PS3 is 2.5 years old.:(
I would be willing to bet that a new PlayStation will arrive sooner than 7 years... Sony talks about a 10 year life cycle with its consoles, which means they want it to have a 10 year shelf life, HOWEVER, this doesn't necessarily mean they have to wait 10 years to release a new console.

As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet Sony will take the same approach next time around: New console releases at a high price point ($399-$699?), meanwhile, Sony drops the PS3's price to around $200, and it becomes their "value system" for those who don't want to spend 2-3 times that much on the latest and greatest.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a new PlayStation will arrive sooner than 7 years... Sony talks about a 10 year life cycle with its consoles, which means they want it to have a 10 year shelf life, HOWEVER, this doesn't necessarily mean they have to wait 10 years to release a new console.

As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet Sony will take the same approach next time around: New console releases at a high price point ($399-$699?), meanwhile, Sony drops the PS3's price to around $200, and it becomes their "value system" for those who don't want to spend 2-3 times that much on the latest and greatest.
on flaw in your point. systems like ps3 and xbox eliminate the need to bring out a new system in fewer than 10 years since they can just update menus and send out firmware updates via the online features. if they want to modify the system they just send out an update etc. and there is no need to enhance video quality anytime soon. 1080p is pretty realistic as is. it's not like the old playstation or nintendo 64 etc where if they wanted to improve on the console, they would have to design a whole new system.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
They could at least attempt to make worthwhile cases for them, like ones that have enough aircooling to keep the system from overheating. Like Lian's attempt. Its kinda an ugly case, but has a big ass 120mm fan for the 360 system. The PS3 is no different, that thign overheats and has DRE's just like teh 360, but since the M corp is so huge, people pay more attention to it.

· Registered
6,058 Posts

Not gonna happen.

PS3 will drop in price, but Sony's next system will not be between $399 and $599.

Nintendo has paved the road, and Sony / Microsoft will follow. Next generation will see marginal improvements to hardware, low price, and lots of software.

· Registered
6,012 Posts
Not gonna happen.

PS3 will drop in price, but Sony's next system will not be between $399 and $599.

Nintendo has paved the road, and Sony / Microsoft will follow. Next generation will see marginal improvements to hardware, low price, and lots of software.
The Wii is selling like hot cakes because of the motion controls... the $249 price point is just an added perk. Nintendo probably could have RAISED the price of the Wii and still sold just as many units...

I think Sony learned its lesson this time around, but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't see another expensive console... more so it likely means Sony won't make the mistake of launching another console without a low end [Read: cheaper] model, similar to the "Core" Xbox 360.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
The Wii is selling like hot cakes because of the motion controls... the $249 price point is just an added perk. Nintendo probably could have RAISED the price of the Wii and still sold just as many units...

I think Sony learned its lesson this time around, but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't see another expensive console... more so it likely means Sony won't make the mistake of launching another console without a low end [Read: cheaper] model, similar to the "Core" Xbox 360.
....Sony did launch the PS3 with a "low end" unit. It was $100 cheaper.

The next PlayStation and Xbox will both top out around $300, POSSIBLY $400 at the max.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Meh, both sonsoles are basically at their limit for now. Both have super realistic ability for the games, its only up to the game developers to make games that can be fully used by the hardware. The 360 and PS3 will only see dressup or better cooling case. At most, more memory for smootehr high def play. Thats it. The video chips in both are very good, the processors are at the top of the chain. Fuck, a 2500 dollar processor still has a hard time emulating a PS2 properly, and look how far ahead technology-wise the PS3 is compared to the Ps2.

Cheaper is in the future, Most likely the hardware will change only slightly.

Just my 2 cents

· Registered
6,058 Posts
Yep.

The next gen of consoles will follow the Wii's lead. Marginal power increase (which will keep costs low) and use software / control features to bring in users.

I can easily see the next PS / Xbox getting a small increase in processor speed for it's CPU / GPU, some more memory (thinking like 512MB of Video Mem, 256 System mem) and being bundled with either a camera or motion controller.

I'm fairly certain the next Sony console will be bundled with a Camera (ala PS Eye) and a controller w/motion capability.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Umm, the 360 and PS3 already yse 256 or 512 main ram, and 256 or 512 video ram, eache console has one switched (256 ram, 512 vid, 512 ram, 256 vid) I forget off the top of my head which is which. But the 3690 also has a dedicated 10 meg for antialiasing, hence why the 360 has smoother image PROCESSING, while the PS3 is capable of more detail (much better processor)

· Registered
10,346 Posts
either way you go, you get a fantastic deal for the hardware, even if the ps3 was 900 bucks, it would still be a kickass price. Did you know you can LEGALLY run a linux op off the ps3? talk about serious performance computing once they find a way to harness all the power it can throw its way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.