Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright .. i know that sony xplodes aren't the best ... but are they pretty good? I'm not looking for show sq or anything, justgood bumps. Can i get some feedback on them? I have a kenwood 629s amp, that is a 600w amp, and im THINKING about getting one sony xplode 12 inch, in a bandpass box. im just lookin' for some feedback !

· Registered
2,118 Posts
from what i have heard from them, they aren't good. i heard them at fry's and there was plenty of distortion. i wouldn't personally. there are plenty of cheap subs that are better than sony. just my 2 cents.

· Registered
841 Posts
Well, a low quality (IMO) woofer in a generic bandpass box is going to sound...well....like shit.

I hate to say it, but first most bandpass boxes (see bass, I put that in there just for you :D ) sound like shit to begin with. Couple that with the fact that these woofers are designed for small sealed enclosures, and you have a recipe for disaster with a generic bandpass....sorry to use the word generic and assume that's what you want to do...but that's what most BP boxes are.

If the budget is really that tight, I would suggest going sealed and sacrificing some output. You may also want to look around for some used equipment. Your $$ can go a lot further that way.

Any bandpass box will be fairly large...if you care more about $$ then you do trunk space, go to adireaudio.com and buy one Shiva. Sure it looks very plain jane, and the box requirements are big, but it will be a step up from most any sub with "Sony" on the dustcap.

What is your budget BTW?

· Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that i'm on a budget, im just looking for some good subs, for a good price, up to 120 at the most. Are pioneer subs any good? Throw out some suggestions .. but when i mean good price, i'm not talking about jensen or anything. I was looking at subs at best buy, and they had a 12 inch xplod in a small bandpass box, and it was bumpin for sure, and then they had 2 10 in pioneers in a bandpass and they was loud as well... i just want good bumps, no super quality shit. but something i'll be pleased with.

· Registered
2,113 Posts
OdiedogCX said:
It's not that i'm on a budget, im just looking for some good subs, for a good price, up to 120 at the most. Are pioneer subs any good? Throw out some suggestions .. but when i mean good price, i'm not talking about jensen or anything. I was looking at subs at best buy, and they had a 12 inch xplod in a small bandpass box, and it was bumpin for sure, and then they had 2 10 in pioneers in a bandpass and they was loud as well... i just want good bumps, no super quality shit. but something i'll be pleased with.
a well built tempest in a ported box will surpass the subs you mentioned above in both the loud and clean sounding department. and the tempest is only $150 shipped

· Registered
148 Posts
For 120 you can get a whole load of single 10/12 setups which will give you plenty of "thump". I would also recommend a sealed (or properly designed ported) over a bandpass. Bandpass for that kind of setup would be probably too hard to work with and wouldn't be worth the time. As for the "quality" of Sony's newer Xplod line, let me tell you a story of my friend. He said "I don't need very good stuff, Sony is a big company for everything else and they will rule the world in 5 years anyways so I will buy their new line of cool looking stuff." He bought a full Xplod system, HU, speakers, amp, subs. Within 3 months his HU wasn't accepting cds, his amp had overheated. A few months after that, the cone of one of his subs CRACKED. His install is rock solid and was done by a pro installer (but he was paid directly on his own time), so it's pretty much pinned on Sony. The problem you will have is you will spend X dollars, listen to it, be happy with it, then a few months later your friend gets setup B, which you listen to. He spent the same amount or a little more than you did, and his setup sounds much better and is possibly louder. So you go home crying and go out and buy a new system. So now you have spent X+Y bucks, why not just spend Y bucks to start out with and be the guy that makes his friend go home crying :)

-hoka

· Registered
148 Posts
Sorry, but I'm juggling things like moving out of the house, getting last minute dinner going with the relatives before I move, and helping out with both my dads and my aunts business. But to add to the thought, heres a few subs to consider that are not "cruddy" but are budget.

Image Dynamics IDQ
Kicker CompVR (02's)
JL w3
Adire Shiva/Tempests
Blueprint Drivers?
Some CDT's?

There are plenty more out on the market that are cheap but still a decent deal. Best thing you can do is go out to audio forums and read, termpro.com is a good place to start.

-hoka

· Registered
226 Posts
Don't buy any car audio from sony. I used to work at a car audio shop and have NEVER had a good experience with em.
MTX(their new shit's pretty good), MA audio, JL audio, are some good one to name a few.
I got two 600w MA Audio 10's in a Virtual technologies box, With 1600w(or so it says) goin' to em, and the shit quakes.

· Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So would 1 12in jlw3 be sufficent for my bass needs, and quality needs? And what kind of box? What is a sealed box, or whatever i should use for this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.