Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony's PSP selling well but not sold out - analyst

Thu March 31, 2005 11:02 PM GMT+05:30

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp.'s new handheld video game unit, the PlayStation Portable, is selling well but is far from sold out at stores nationwide, an analyst said on Thursday.

One week after the $249 PSP package was launched in the United States, American Technology Research found that only 50 of 150 stores surveyed nationally in the last two days were sold out. Another 15 stores had three or fewer units left.

Sony pushed hard to have as many as 1 million units available for the U.S. launch, postponing the device's European debut indefinitely so it could have enough hardware to meet that U.S. goal. Supplies have been thin in Japan as well, where the PSP debuted in a frenzy late last year.

The PSP, which also plays movies and music in addition to games, is Sony's first entry into handheld gaming, a market controlled since 1989 by Nintendo Co. Ltd.. Nintendo's established Game Boy Advance SP sells for $79, and its new dual-screened DS sells for $149.

Analyst P.J. McNealy said the specialty gaming retailers have already sold through two waves of hardware, but "big-box" retailers like Target Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. got more units than expected at launch and have inventory remaining.

McNealy estimated the PSP sold as many as 575,000 units in its first week, with up to 300,000 left in the inventory channel.

"The PlayStation Portable (PSP) has been solid but not spectacular. We believe that the PSP launch, while not the blow-out event expected, will be considered successful as retailers continue to sell through existing inventory levels," McNealy said in a note.

With sales of console games slowing as manufacturers prepare for the next generation of game hardware, the industry is counting on the handheld market to pick up much of the sales slack in calendar 2005. Most analysts expect U.S. software sales growth to be flat to up 5 percent this year.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mistuda said:
didn't nintendo just come out with a console as well...I think it's called the Nintendo DS. I wonder how that is selling. I'm not very big on hand held systems, still have the game gear lol.
Dude, welcome to the new millennium!

The Nintendo DS sold out the week it came out and still continue to sell becuase it can play not only DS game, but gameboy advance games as well.

Also, yea sony needs to better advertist its handheld becuase I saw like one commercial late at night after the handheld was launch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
AznImports602 said:

The Nintendo DS sold out the week it came out and still continue to sell becuase it can play not only DS game, but gameboy advance games as well.

Also, yea sony needs to better advertist its handheld becuase I saw like one commercial late at night after the handheld was launch.
the ds had 500k available at launch, and it was released during the holidays. psp was 100 bucks more, released in march and had almost no advertising and sold 525k.

sony didn't need or want to sell all 1 million, that wasn't their goal. it was a soft launch, thats why there was no advertising. and the last numbers i saw had the ds at just under 2 million sales, and the psp at 1.1 million

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first D1 Grand Champ Taniguchi's choice was the PSP. PSP > DS. Good enough for me! :hehe

But I still feel that Sony could do more to help heighten awareness of the PSP here in the US. For example in Japan, Nintendo has TV ads running 24/7 on TV for Nintendogs and and other games. I hope Sony isn't thinking that since they have such a large installed user base w/ the PS2 they can fall back on word of mouth, etc. to advertise for them. :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
AznImports602 said:

animosity said:
the ds had 500k available at launch, and it was released during the holidays. psp was 100 bucks more, released in march and had almost no advertising and sold 525k.

sony didn't need or want to sell all 1 million, that wasn't their goal. it was a soft launch, thats why there was no advertising. and the last numbers i saw had the ds at just under 2 million sales, and the psp at 1.1 million
animosity is right. DS is going to get owned. the PSP has sold more during it's first week at a higher price at a non-holiday launch date (St. Patrick's day doesn't count) Give the PSP the same amount of time and we'll see what the numbers turn out to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.