Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my motor is making a strange sound when i rev higher. Not like the squeaking sound the belts make when they are little loose, it sounds more like a whining supercharger but not that loud.
I can hear it only with the windows down and when i rev the motor a litle bit and it gets louder as i rev higher.

any idieas?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
[Buffalo] said:
my motor is making a strange sound when i rev higher. Not like the squeaking sound the belts make when they are little loose, it sounds more like a whining supercharger but not that loud.
I can hear it only with the windows down and when i rev the motor a litle bit and it gets louder as i rev higher.

any idieas?
What kind of belts/pulleys are you running? Have they recently been changed or tighten?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Team_Carnage said:
What kind of belts/pulleys are you running? Have they recently been changed or tighten?
all stock. I got my car to my mechanic for a valve adjustment 2 weeks ago but i don't think he tuch anything to mess up with the belts...

...but he may overtighten em, could that be the broblem?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
[Buffalo] said:
all stock. I got my car to my mechanic for a valve adjustment 2 weeks ago but i don't think he tuch anything to mess up with the belts...

Yep...You want them to be tight b/c they'll expand when hot, but you don't want them to be way too tight. Check the tension on them see how they feel. Also check and to see if both belts are properly lined up correctly, and that none of the pulleys have a chip or anything that would cause the belts to come out of the grooves.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Team_Carnage said:
Yep...You want them to be tight b/c they'll expand when hot, but you don't want them to be way too tight. Check the tension on them see how they feel. Also check and to see if both belts are properly lined up correctly, and that none of the pulleys have a chip or anything that would cause the belts to come out of the grooves.
yeah, i gues they are too tight. and when the car is at idle the belt look like they are still so that supose to mean they are perfectly lined up. :)

btw: nice turbo mani there in your sig :clap

·
Registered
444 Posts
I"ve always wondered myself, my car also whines a little, but it doesnt sound like a problem. I had all my belts done, timing belt and a new tensioner put in a few months back. It's all good in there knock wood. I just figure that whine is an normal sound? It's not really that loud, and does sound good, like a supercharger as you say. :D The t-belt on my CRX was too tight once and let me tell you, it just screamed unhealthy (fixed now). I guess we're going to hear some ammount of whine from the belts yeah? Can't be silent could it?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sodikai said:
I"ve always wondered myself, my car also whines a little, but it doesnt sound like a problem. I had all my belts done, timing belt and a new tensioner put in a few months back. It's all good in there knock wood. I just figure that whine is an normal sound? It's not really that loud, and does sound good, like a supercharger as you say. :D The t-belt on my CRX was too tight once and let me tell you, it just screamed unhealthy (fixed now). I guess we're going to hear some ammount of whine from the belts yeah? Can't be silent could it?
yeah... you can always tell when a car sounds unhealthy, even more your own car. My car doesn't sound bad ither but it did't make that sound before... maybe is just the hot wether we have around here lately, cos you know when ruber gets hot it also get softer & more elastic

thanks for the input guys... :aww

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
[Buffalo] said:

That's exactly it, our motors tend to have that "synchronized" sound when the valves at its almost perfect (not to be too cocky) alignment. I beleive it sounds mean... people always ask me if my car is turboed or what the hell I have under the hood. :p

It's perfectly fine, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freakin'H22A said:
That's exactly it, our motors tend to have that "synchronized" sound when the valves at its almost perfect (not to be too cocky) alignment. I beleive it sounds mean... people always ask me if my car is turboed or what the hell I have under the hood. :p

It's perfectly fine, don't worry about it.
:clap :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
actually....i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet...our cars tend to make a supercharger like noise if the timing belt is too tight. It isn't horribly bad but you should be running it at the proper tension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.