Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my spark plugs went bad...how do you tell which one it is? I was running on 3 cylinders when I went back home...sounded so gay. Which plugs are best for a turbo application? I am currently using NGK V-power.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I would stick with NGK.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i pulled all of them out already and just changed all of them. too late now to see which one is bad. how can you tell just by looking at the spark plug itself?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Best plugs for turbo application IMO is are the NGK BCPR7ES (no -11) they are gapped to .030 iirc. If you search on ********** or PO you'll find a bunch of people running the BCPR7ES and are very happy with it. 1 heat range cooler, tip is not Vgrooved (desierable in FI application), tip sits differently (higher i believe) in the chamber.

I'm running them now, very happy with them.

lol... i didnt know i'd get censored with putting honda (dash) tech.... thats so funny :hehe

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked in ngk's website and they make the BCPR7ES only for saabs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they said their iridium plugs are good for nos so im guessing they are good for forced induction also?

·
Registered
63 Posts
BCPR7ES is for the 1999 saab 93 2.0l turbo, however they fit perfectly in the H22. A lot of people have had great experiences with them with a boosted H22 application. POSSIBLE benefits from running the BCPR7ES:
No V groove that can contribute to detonation
Plug does not extend as far into the combustion chamber as the stock ZFR plugs
Copper is more conductive than platinum and iridium (platinum and iridium is used for longevity).
1 step colder, the 7 denotes the heat range, the higher the number, the cooler the plug.

(This is just stuff I've read over time, theres more on the web if you google about Vgroove and depth of the plug)

Your one step colder stock plugs (or the copper equivalent that some guys like to run): ZFR7F-11

...............................................^^BCPR7ES

There are probably countless threads about iridium... they last long, they conduct fairly well. Their longevity/strength allows the manufacturer to run a "sharper" tip since it is able to withstand the pressure/heat from combustion. However they cost a buttload more and are less conductive than copper. If you change your copper plugs frequently, you will spend less and also benefit from having several "fresh set of plugs" over the same course of time.

BTW, since you're running FI, you want to MAKE SURE you gap your plugs correctly and inspect them frequently (you are looking for signs of minor/small scale detonation, shows on plugs as little aluminum specs on the porcelain). You want a gap of about .03", or about 1mm, which the BCPR7ES are gapped at straight out of the box. And take care when adjusting/checking the gap and use a wire type gapper, not the coin type (the $1 gappers from autozone), they are terribly innacurate.

Hope i've helped (btw, www.sparkplugs.com for the BCPR7ES or call up local autozones/pepboys as they are sometimes hard to come by, the stock number is 3330).

Reactions: rev 2 10k

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes thats the plug, but the one you found is -11 (hence the .044 gap), the plug I am suggesting is the BCPR7ES without the -11. So its this one:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=bcpr7es

They're $2 a piece, just change them once a year or so, heck, change them whenever you want. If you call around your autozones/pepboys and ask for the stock number (3330) you wont have to pay the shipping, so you'll get a set of awesome plugs (IMO) for $8. Shipping will probably be $10 from sparkplugs.com

I'd suggest ordering them from autozone/pepboys or at least calling around to find out.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks a lot for all the help. im gonna go try em out. rep 4 you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
whoa... dont bother... HKS plugs? lol... I wouldnt even consider them, seems like they're trying to sell a name more than anything else... Denso iridium plugs are only ~$7 a pop if you're really insistant on getting iridium. They want $19.21 PER PLUG... hahaha...

Between platinum and iridium, copper is the most conductive PERIOD. The only reason why you'd go for the other two if you really dont feel comfortable changing your plugs routinely. A spark plug is a relatively simple thing, I wouldnt know how HKS could improve upon the design dramatically enough to charge $100 for a set of 4. I wouldnt be too surprised if the HKS plugs are actually made by NGK. HKS also makes motor oil... lol

In short... HKS plugs = BIG :td
....Dont even consider them, I dont even know how you found them... lol
good plugs = correct heat range (7), correct gap (~0.030"), good insulator, good conductivity

Stop shopping around and get the BCPR7ES already :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
because it blew out quickly.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lenn said:
In short... HKS plugs = BIG :td
....Dont even consider them, I dont even know how you found them... lol
good plugs = correct heat range (7), correct gap (~0.030"), good insulator, good conductivity

Stop shopping around and get the BCPR7ES already :)
I just happened to stumble upon them when I was browing HIN website. Wasn't really looking...it was on the front page.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow checked autozone, pepboys, and advanceauto. none have them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea, the NGKs can be a little hard to get a hold of, thats why i suggested calling around first instead of spenging an hour or 2 searching for them. I'd suggest doing a special order on them just so you can get away without paying shipping. I couldnt find the BCPR7ES when i was in the "city" but when i got up to school in the boondox they seemed to have a good supply of them :shrug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts