Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some new nology sparkplug wires for my Accord. Now these new wires are suppose to give me a better spark. My question is should I set my sparkplug gap at the factory recommended distance or can I set the gap a little wider since the new wires give me more spark power.
I have heard that if you have a bigger gap you get a bigger spark that helps to ignite all of the fuel/air mixture? Would this help my car performance or would it hinder it?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
that is absolutely wrong...........the new wires dont give you more spark power, what they do is conduct the spark better then your stock wires........and if you over gap the plugs the spark will arc and your car will run like crap........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CRXt for the info. What does arcing mean and hows does that work? I'm new to the whole working are the car thing and I appreciate any info you've got to give.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Arcing is when electricity jumps from one point to the next.

If the gap on the plug is to big the spark can/will ark from the plug to the cylinder or the piston or other parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation ich_folge. I knew what arcing was, I just didn't understand how it happened in and automobile.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can get a higher energy spark only if you upgrade your ignition system with an MSD box or bigger coil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts