Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Need to get plugs for my turbo. I remember someone telling me that getting Platinum plugs are bad for turbos. Is that true? if that's the case, do I have to stick with standard plugs or can I go iridium?

· Registered
42 Posts
I think your not supposed to run platinums with NOS, but it is fine with SC an TC

· Registered
936 Posts
civicgurl98 said:
I want to get new spark plugs, any recommendations on which kind to buy?
Okay, here's my philosophy on plugs; the smartest guy on SHO... :cool:

Assuming there isn't some SPECIAL consideration, like you drive a burner, or a racer, you're not lazy, or broke, or rich, et cetera, the most important thing is having FRESH plugs in your ride. That is, you need to change them a lot...

I've known ppl that change plugs at every oil change; ditto for the air filter. I think this is excessive, but they NEVER have to worry about the condition of these items, do they?

MY recommendation is that you stick with the factory plugs and you change them about every 10-15k. Let's use my car for an example: NGK ZFR4F-11 V-Power copper-core plugs; buck seventy-five each at Checker Auto...

Look yours up here.

Second item --- spark plug wires. If you have OE carbons, they were/are designed to be a 'consumable' item, like tires, brakes and batteries. Replace them every 50k or so. This is going OT, so I won't expound, except to say MAGNECOR is the best. When you get into this category of wiring they call them cables, e.g. spark plug cables... :rolleyes:

Here's their URL if you're interested:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

So, the quick answer is Magnecor spark plug cables once and NGK V-Power copper-core spark plugs every 10-15k.

Hope this helps...

· Registered
936 Posts
94exsedanvtec said:
I think your not supposed to run platinums with NOS, but it is fine with SC an TC
Generally, it isn't a good idea to run any plugs with welded tips, i.e. 'plats' or iridiums on any high performance application. They can break loose and play havoc on your valves and seats. Be warned!!!

· Registered
936 Posts
frank828 said:
personally i still definetely like the Dinosaur killing space metal plugs
Why?

· Registered
936 Posts
frank828 said:
because i can definetely feel a much smoother idle and gas mileage is slightly better.

Not to mention that the plugs were dyno'ed and had an increase of 3whp(stock plugs had about 30,000 miles on em).
Your first point is subjective and anecdotal. Your second point is bullsh!t...

Iridium plugs are advertised as having about half the resistance of platinum plugs [which are horribly ineffecient to begin with], while supposedly lasting about twice as long. Such plugs also are advertised as having overall better performance, while requiring less voltage to fire off. That's pure hype IMO! If you wanna believe in the spark plug fairy, be my guest, but that's 'blue sky' thinking as far as I'm concerned...

The performance and voltage benefits described in iridium plug advertising can be realized using a better set of spark plug wires, than what came stock from the factory, hence my Magnecor recommendation.

Why the hell would someone waste money on iridium plugs without installing better spark plug wires in the first place? And, if you get something akin to Magnecor 'cable' quality, why the hell would you need iridiums?

See my point?

· Registered
196 Posts
haha, i guess u didnt know i have have a 01 accord v6.

U can ask my fellow v6ers that have the plugs(a lot), and they will ALL agree that the idle is smoother.

And u can also ask them about the slightly better gas mileage.

I dont think i have to prove anything to you. I have personally sold close to 800 plugs to 60-70 different people. And almost all of them seem to agree that there is a difference in performance, and the FIRST thing they notice is the idle.

And the dyno was done by a fellow member(BNUT). It is posted on autocarparts.com

and about the plugs lasting longer than platinums, i dunno about that. Denso advertises that their plugs will last only 30,000 miles. And the reason for less voltage is because the electrode is .04mm thick. That is TINY.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.