Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is lowered with tokico blue/neuspeed sport springs. the guy at pepboys told me that when i get my car lowered the struts should come with a spec sheet for when i get my car aligned. since i bought my car already lowered, i dont have it and have no idea what he is talking about. would anyone happen to have it?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i never heard of a spec sheet and i dont know why they would need one...tell them to set everything to 0 degrees or as close as possible...the alignment specs should be the same as a stock car except for camber, which is not adjustable

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
theres no 'Spec sheet' .. esp. b/c it would almost soley depend on the vehicle weight and springs used to know what type of alignment needs to be done. HONDA is the one who tells you the specs you need.. but if your racing you wont even care what honda says anymore b/c diferent specs can and will give different effects. When you lower your car you need an alignment to get back to OEM specs.. if you want a camber kit you will then need to know how much correction you need to get the right kit (NOTE: I preffer NO camber kit, but if you must get the Standard type .. if you get the EXTREME kit it WILL NOT FIT) Also do not plan on more than 1 degree correction or you WILL bend your control arm against the frame.

For your street car you will want -.5 for camber all around, and 0 for everything else (toe/caster) ..

I have knowticed that 99% of the time they will not set everything to 0 b/c OEM specs provides a range of angles so they tend to be lazy and get it juuuust enough so its in spec. example: say your camber angle is -1.5 after you lowered .. and say you have an adjustable camber kit .. and say OEM specs is -1 to 1 degrees. They will adjust it to -1 degrees (even tho -.5 is best) and that will be that .. not only do you not get the best alignment possible, you will also go out of spec MUCH faster. (Which they LOOOVE) .. #1) b/c alignment shops usually sell tires #2) b/c youll need another bad alignment with your new tires and sooo on and soo on .. making you keep wearing out tires and buying new ones (trick of the trade im sure)

Personally I would LOVE to not even need to goto an alignment shop for an alignment b/c like everything else .. they usually do a 1/2 ass job and charge too much. There are ways of doing alignments with string and chalk which I have been dying to learn. Not only do you not have to worry about them giving you crap alignment .. but also you can do it on flat pavement instead of trying to get your lowered car on a lift that is just tooo high.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason why he said he needed it is because he said the new struts may not have the same specs as the oem, so if i get an alignment according to oem, then it still wont be good. i guess that makes sense. but if it doesnt exist then i guess i just need an alignment to the oem settings right?

also i have been seeing wear mainly on the inner side of the tire.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
95hprelude said:
the reason why he said he needed it is because he said the new struts may not have the same specs as the oem, so if i get an alignment according to oem, then it still wont be good. i guess that makes sense. but if it doesnt exist then i guess i just need an alignment to the oem settings right?

also i have been seeing wear mainly on the inner side of the tire.

struts do not effect the alignment on honda's...only the upper and lower control arms do.

Some cars only have a lower control arm...and the strut stablizes everything else...and also sets the height, etc. On Honda's....the strut is designed only to be a strut....and the upper/lower control arms adjust the camber/toe. The way every car should be designed. It also takes all stress off the strut...and puts the stress on very strong components.

so, no, you do not need a spec sheet. It is the same as stock. In fact...I wouldn't get an alignment done at pepboys.....especially if they are asking for a spec sheet. Get it done somewhere else. And of course your have inner tire wear....you haven't had an alignment probably for a long time...your toe setting is out of spec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.