Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this post below in Rims/Tires for almost a wk..with only 22 views and 0 :eek replies...I hope I can avoid the SHO Repost police and find my answer.

I have searched for awhile now, finding the issue asked but not exactly answered. First is it possible to recalibrate the speedometer in 5th gen Accords?
Obviously, considering tire/rim upgrades and this will greatly affect my decision on which setup to select. If I can recalibrate, that opens up a myriad of options for the combination I can select. I do realize that the speedo will only be off by a mile or two with a moderate difference in overall diameter, but call me silly, I wanna be as right-on the mark as possible.
This will bring me to my final part of this post....How much ride quality is given up from a 60 sidewall to a 45 ? Will I go from decent to shit? Or decent to so/so? I hope to do my suspension upgrade at this time as well, but no guarantee. I am too old to be a tuner/street racer..I want a nice balance of style without sacrificing too much ride quality.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
i can awnser your tire question...

going from 60 - 45 you will experiance a little rougher ride

but if u plan to buy 17s or 18s like it says on your site.. you will probably end up with 35 or 40 side wall

35 is feirce...
the lower you go the harsher the ride gets...
for example..
my dads van has im guessing 60s or so on it... or maybe bigger...
pot holes and such arnt even felt on the car...
but on the other hand my moms maxima has stock 17s with 50 side walls on these the bumps are felt.. but their very soft

i have 17s with 40 sidewall, and the bumps are felt when my tires are inflated all the way

my friend has 35 side wall on his 18s and he does everything he can to aviod every bump in the road and such, because when he does hit a bump.. it is felt.. very hard

i dont know what kind of rim you want to put the 45 side wall on
but i think you will be happy with a 45 side wall...
i mean if a 46 year old woman can enjoy a 50 side wall.. i think you will like it too

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
with a good suspension setup, even 40's won't be too bad... but when you get into the 35's and below... it gets kinda ugly, because the tire ends up being a rubber band wrapped around your rim. FYI, the second number, is a percent of the first number in the tire code... meaning a 225/40/18, has a sidewall that's 40% of 225 mm. The first number is the width of the tire. The last number is the diameter of the tire of course.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
have you checked the tire size calculator? i believe there's a sticky w/ it in the rims and tires forum. sorry, i should really check over there more often, but i'm always in here and in the other forums of perf-tech.

anyways, if you don't know, the speedo is already slightly off from the factory in the higher speeds (50mph+) and accuracy gets worse as speeds increase. Car and Driver Magazine did a test on several vehicles and put their results in an article a few years back. Hondas didn't do as bad as Ford heh, but it was still off. so i wouldn't really worry too much about a 1-2% change in tire size :) good luck

Reactions: DXE

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then how about an aftermarket speedo?

I have been using the tire calculator...that's the reason for the recalibration question. I want to put 17's on (weight isn't an issue, probably wont be racing much...I am too old) So to keep speedo accurate, 205/45's work, yet I would like to maintain a smoother ride, thus wanting 50's, giving me a ~+2.1 speedo, and lessening the gap between tire and wheelwell a bit until I can make the spring/strut mod.
But, if the speedo is off already, I suppose it wouldn't matter that much then.
Which brings a new question...if the speedos are already "inaccurate" and many tuners have tire/rim setups that further the inaccuracy......

Does anyone know of an aftermarket speedo kit that is recalibratible (is that a word :confused ) that corrects the issue and goes back in with the stock guages? (I didn't search before asking this, but I don't recall anything from my first search on speedo recalibration that mentioned aftermarket)

Thanks for y'alls input thus far.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
well apex makes a rev/speed meter which taps the info from the ecu and gives a digital readout which i would assume is more accurate. i'm not sure if you can recalibrate it though. and holy cow 17's w/ 205/50 would be HUGE!!! i have that on my 15's and that tire is humongo!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UltraMagneticAL said:
..and holy cow 17's w/ 205/50 would be HUGE!!! i have that on my 15's and that tire is humongo!!!!
I was afraid of that...They don't look so bad on tirerack's site when I do the shopping..but was afraid in reallife they may look a bit disproportionate. Thanks for the head's up...haven't done many rim/tire upgrades on other cars..so I am treading unknown water there. Would I be better off with the 16's and going for more drop w/ my suspension to fill the well and maintain a better ride? I was looking at Eiback pro's w/ a 1.2".... and I know this discussion should be in Suspension and/or Tire/rims..sorry..if a mod wishes to move this..I understand.

UltraMagneticAL said:
well apex makes a rev/speed meter which taps the info from the ecu and gives a digital readout which i would assume is more accurate. i'm not sure if you can recalibrate it though.
That would do the trick no doubt. It has a function for Tire size correction. It would be a little too racing oriented than I have intentions for ..but would be a fun toy to have! Especially to see how my mods affect the car as I proceed forward! Something to think about..would be great to document the improvements each mod and share on here.

UltraMagneticAL said:
anyways, if you don't know, the speedo is already slightly off from the factory in the higher speeds (50mph+) and accuracy gets worse as speeds increase.
Is the problem, ECU based or guage based..because if it is the ECU then this wouldn't really correct the issue?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
wineguydfw said:
Would I be better off with the 16's and going for more drop w/ my suspension to fill the well and maintain a better ride? I was looking at Eiback pro's w/ a 1.2"
well if you want a smooth ride, the softer sport springs, which are usually not as low of a drop, are a must (as opposed to race springs that are stiffer and lower). if you're really set on getting 17's, then w/ 205/45 or 225/40 it's not so bad...still enough cushion....just don't go super low profile w/ 35s :eek

wineguydfw said:
That would do the trick no doubt. It has a function for Tire size correction. It would be a little too racing oriented than I have intentions for ..but would be a fun toy to have! Especially to see how my mods affect the car as I proceed forward! Something to think about..would be great to document the improvements each mod and share on here.

Is the problem, ECU based or guage based..because if it is the ECU then this wouldn't really correct the issue?
does it have that function? if so, that'd be great :tu the accuracy problem is at the mechanical side. even the tach is slightly off. i'm pretty sure the signal from the tranny is pretty accurate...the most accurate you can get though is w/ a GPS tracking system. let us know how things work out, and good luck :tu

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
you can get your speedo recalibrated...not sure on the details but a few accord owners have done it..i'll see if i can find more info for you..or you can ask your local mechanics or something

well apex makes a rev/speed meter which taps the info from the ecu and gives a digital readout which i would assume is more accurate. i'm not sure if you can recalibrate it though. and holy cow 17's w/ 205/50 would be HUGE!!! i have that on my 15's and that tire is humongo!!!!
that's because you drive a car that's half our size =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts