Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then my speedometer works. Most of the time it doesn't work at all, it just sits at 0 and the odometer doesn't work either when this occurs.

My theory is it is some wire that isn't getting a solid connection. Any clues? I would like to know how fast I am going when a cop gets behind me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor is bad, or like you said, without a solid connection. Poke around your transmission and check its connections. If it's bad you'll more than likely need to change your transmission.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My car did the same thing and turned out to be the gauge. I have a VSS for sale if you want to try that first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) FTW
Get it. Replace it. Floor it... err.. Test it! ^-^

that was my problem as well as thousands of other accord/prelude owners problem

OOPs! post is over a year old!
my mistake ._.;;

·
Registered
345 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) FTW
Get it. Replace it. Floor it... err.. Test it! ^-^

that was my problem as well as thousands of other accord/prelude owners problem

OOPs! post is over a year old!
my mistake ._.;;
All good, as it is a common issue..as I just bought my buddies 92' HB and same deal, here/there speedo works, jumps /bounces and so on..but I just bought a tach guage cluster to swap in and so will have to test it out. More then likely sounds like VSS.

Lates'

·
Registered
345 Posts
Speedometer issue..

For those with this issue, I swapped out a new cluster w/ a tach and the New cluster works great! The speedo didn't act up at all, while norm here/there throughout the day prior cluster it would act up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
there is a pin that goes into your tranny...make sure that is connected if it is check the connection on the back of your cluster......its one of those

·
Registered
195 Posts
yes...pretty much a dead thread, but read in another forum about the connector for the VSS being dirty/corroded. Just passing along the info incase someone is looking. Would be a good first thing to check

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor is bad, or like you said, without a solid connection. Poke around your transmission and check its connections. If it's bad you'll more than likely need to change your transmission.
yes...pretty much a dead thread, but read in another forum about the connector for the VSS being dirty/corroded. Just passing along the info incase someone is looking. Would be a good first thing to check
wow really? I know people get excited when learning new stuff but you could have let this slide until you saw another thread about this, I promise you'll see enough of them whether you put your comment in here or not. they don't search for nothing

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey i got the same problem i have a 92 si with a gsr swap and my spedometer is all over the place. sometimes it works and sometimes it just goes all the way around the speedometer and gets lodge at the end of the speedo, my buddy has a 94 hatch dx and he started doing the same thing just yesterday. i change my vss last year on mine and it was working fine but i noticed that the needle looked like it was stucked and it worked about 30 mph, now it just sits at the end of the speedo. but the funny thing is that it still counting on the mileage, im wondering if the cluster might be the problem?? any sugestions??? thanks:banghead:

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
yes for you your cluster would be the problem, since the mileage is still working.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
you can just buy a used one, ebay classifieds anywhere you can find one that is in your price range.

I got bored with my stock cluster and swapped in a cluster from a integra. if you wanted to you could as well with a little work

·
Registered
19 Posts
the VSS mounted on the transmission is used for both speedometer and odometer. i believe the sensor is magnetic so it picks up metal shavings.. try taking it off and wiping it down clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts