Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I changed my oil, I noticed there was red oil that had formed a drop and was about to drop onto the ground. It was suspended on my transmission.

Today, when I was driving to my girlfriends about 10 miles away, I thought I had noticed a smoke trail coming from my car, but I didn't think nothing of it since my mirrors were dirty and they shake due to solid mounts. So when I pulled out front of her house and got out, I had noticed that I indeed had a smoke trail. My car was smoking terribly. So I got underneath and saw that it was still that same red oil.

We decide later to try to go to the grocery store. I'm afraid to, but I do anyway. It seems to drive just fine. I couldn't tell any difference in anything. Shifts okay, engages clutch just fine.

What could this red oil be? And where is it coming from?
Has anyone had this problem before? Please help.:confused:confused

· Registered
2,529 Posts
Tranny fluid is red. So is some power steering fluid. Check both. Regardless of how it drives, you could overheat your tranny if you're running out of fluid. The clutch will typically still work since it uses it's own fluid resevoir (with brake fluid usually).

· Registered
242 Posts
Unless someone is running Auto Trans Fluid in your manual...or some brand of MTF that is red...

Check your trans seals, especially the axle seals. Those are usually first to go, and are cake to replace. Then, drain your trans and replace with Honda genuine MTF or Pennzoil SynchroMesh.
Brake and power steering fluid are extremely flammable and will catch fire if they land on your header/precat exhaust.
ATF has a very distinctive smell to it when it smokes...it's awful.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My steering and brake fluid are normal levels. It's definitely leaking down my tanny. I don't have time this week to get it looked at. How serious is it? I'm afraid to drive it more than I should. Am I fucked? :(

· Registered
496 Posts
add some asap but dont over fill, just keep doing this till you get it looked at, try to find the leak, could be luck, just a loose bolt? never know

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having my mechanic look at it tomorrow. It still runs okay. There's a lot of feel and noise when I press my clutch in, especially when the engine isn't operating temperature yet.

I can only hope for the best. Thanks guys

If you have any more input, I'm always all ears :eek:

· Registered
1,341 Posts
tranny fluid for the win.... ur still running but not for long.... i bet the gears are notchy as hell.. o0o0h.. i hear the clutch and the tranny going out sometime very soon

· Registered
908 Posts
well auto trans fluid is red but if i read correctly u say when u push in the clutch it feels weird? what it sounds like to me is the input shaft seal on the transmission is leaking and going on the clutch and then leaking the rest out.. however honda mtf im pretty sure isnt red... ? auto or manual

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.