Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a racing spool(a low cost alternative to a LSD, so both tires spin) on a street driven car? I've heard it will eat tires, but was just wondering if anyone can give any insight, thanks.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Unless you are driving a car that is only going to see the drag strip then don't use a spool. That locks both axles together. You won't be able to turn worth a shit. I'm talking major understeer, and undriveable in the rain.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea thats what I've heard, thanks guys. Is it possible for a car without a lsd to spin both tires some of the time. Sometimes when I do a burnout ill leave two tires marks sometimes only one, is there any good explanation for that? :confused

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
A traditional open differential (whats in your car) will send all the power to the wheel that will spin the easiest. Thats why the inside wheel will spin around a corner, this is also not very good for your diff. Most of the time fwd cars will spin both wheels at first because of all the weight going to the rear of the car makes the front so light that its very easy to spin both wheels. When you spin one wheel your spider gears (thats what a spool replaces in a sense, your axle slides into these inside the transmission) inside your diff spin separate from your ring and pinion. It is hard on these gears to do big massive one wheel peels because they will spin very fast and can melt together or explode, then your going nowhere real fast. Most clutch type LSD's have clutch plates between your carrier (what your ring gear bolts up to) and your spider gears. The spiders are strait cut and tapered to when they spin they try to press against the carrier, the clutches are there to lock the two together when this hapends thus makeing both wheels put down equal power to the ground. If you ever do melt your spider gears together doing burnouts, you will know what it would be like to put a spool in your car, But trust me you don't want to do that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
curse these front wheel drive cars! lol thats what happens when you try for the cheap way out, guess I gotta fork over the change for the lsd. thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts