Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if a sport shift lude would be able to hold it's own against a 5-speed from a 30 mph roll. (both stock) :confused:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Actually that eliminates most of the advantage that a 5 speed has. However, stock to stock, the 5 speed will win because they are slightly lighter and put more hp to the ground. I have had my share of 5 speeds though, without nitrous.....

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ludeboy said:
However, stock to stock, the 5 speed will win because they are slightly lighter and put more hp to the ground.
That, and the 5spd has gearing better suited for acceleration, unlike the SS Lude's 4spd slushbox ;) j/k Ludeboy

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do 5-speed owners hate on Sport Shift ludes so bad? It may not be as fast as a 5-speeds off the line but it is still a pretty darn quick car especially once you get past about 20 mph. The first twenty mph are what screws the 1/4 mile times up for Sport Shift ludes. After that they haul just like the manual does. Not to mention the fact that it is still a LUDE and still has a H22.

SpanishRicer said:
That, and the 5spd has gearing better suited for acceleration, unlike the SS Lude's 4spd slushbox ;) j/k Ludeboy
:confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm more disappointed in the transmission below the 3.5-4k rpm. It sucks in any gear at any speed in that rpm zone. 5 speed just seem to have better power transfer through the transmission overall. And seeing as to how 5 speeds run 14.5-15s averages and autos run 16s that says something about how slow the autos really are. They may be fast still but Accords V6s can run 16s.

·
Registered
293 Posts
well i did a test on this and raced my friends 00 lude 5 speed. I would say he's a good/decent driving considering he been driving for like 5 years. But we raced from around a 40 punch. basicall a SS lude can stick with a 5 speed in like 2nd and 3rd but like end of 3rd and beginning for 4th he just kept pulling. if a SS lude is fast from 1st and 4th, it will be a beast. Haha cant launch with them and no vtec in 4th till it hit's it all da way up there. haha

·
Registered
92 Posts
i had a friend who owned a manual 98 base lude with AEM CAI and Duel Tanabe exhausts. i have a 99 SS with AEM short ram and a Focuz bolt on exhaust. one time were were on the saw mill in new york traveling up hilll at about 55 mph and we both punched it. he was behind me and i was waiting for him to pass me but he never did. later on that night he told me that he couldn't pull on me. i'm guessing that due to speed and precise gearing, we were accelerating at the same rate. i was surprised because i had dragged with him from a standstill before with a half a car lead and he always tore my ass out.

what do you guys think about that?

the reason SS don't take off as fast is also due to the H22a's lack of low end torque as well as bad gearing. if you wanna at least pull even with a manual, get a turbo. it'll add much needed low end punch. a turbo is on my '05 xmas list. . .

peace :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
anyone got a broke ss tranny...... i wana take one apart and see why they are so shitty....

i had a jdm h22/auto in my 94 accord, 92 year model, NOT ss. but my accord ran 15.0 in the 1/4 and i would almost always stick right with or pull on 5th gen 5spd from a roll

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the key words you used are "from a roll", SS if fine from a roll too. Its just from a dead stop when the torque converter has to get going that they suck. SS tranny is not any worse if not better than any other honda auto transmission (the ones that aren't defective anyway).

Wadzii said:
anyone got a broke ss tranny...... i wana take one apart and see why they are so shitty....

i had a jdm h22/auto in my 94 accord, 92 year model, NOT ss. but my accord ran 15.0 in the 1/4 and i would almost always stick right with or pull on 5th gen 5spd from a roll

·
Registered
78 Posts
sdeva001 said:
the key words you used are "from a roll", SS if fine from a roll too. Its just from a dead stop when the torque converter has to get going that they suck. SS tranny is not any worse if not better than any other honda auto transmission (the ones that aren't defective anyway).
how is the ss tranny not anyworse than anyother honda auto.

did you even read my post.... with i/h/e a jdm h22a/auto i ran 15.0 at 94 mph. with full interior at that. what ss tranny'd lude does that.... btw my car weighed in at 3055 with me in it.. so its not any lighter than a 5th gen lude.

and from a roll i would destroy a ss lude.

·
Premium Member
15,402 Posts
plus throtle response feels.. like slow..and peeple have told me my cars throtles response (5spd) feels like a v6...

u have to drive both and u will feel the difference..i did..

plus the 5spd will handle power much much better..

my 2cents

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
nice time...

my friend with a 99 SH ran 14.7 with i/e and a msd box. from 65-110 we were side by side

what you got for weight reduction... i wonder what my accord would have ran if i gutted it and took the a/c and power steering off....

oh and i hope your not using that 5pt harness w/o at least a roll bar. if you roll that car with that harness on YOU will become the b pillar .... very dangerous

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AWWW is someone getting alittle defensive

Wadzii said:

did you even read my post.... with i/h/e a jdm h22a/auto i ran 15.0 at 94 mph. with full interior at that. what ss tranny'd lude does that.... btw my car weighed in at 3055 with me in it.. so its not any lighter than a 5th gen lude.

:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, sorry if I misunderstood your post a little but you made it sound like in order to keep up with a 5th gen 5-speed you had to race from a roll and 5th gens run about 15.3-15.4 in the quarter. So you can see how I would get confused if you first said you run 15.0 flat and then said you have to race a 5-speed from a roll to keep up with it when it is supposedly a slower car.

Wadzii said:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have driven several manuals in my life (including a 89 Si lude)and when I put my car in sport shift mode the throtttle response is instant since I am down shifting myself. If you talking about the lag when you up shift in sport shift mode it's not really a big deal you just have to learn how to use it to your advantage. The whole key to the sport shift trans is learning when the appropriate time to shift is just like a manual. You got me on the handling power thing, that is very true. If you want to go forced induction on a SS lude you have to get the tranny built up by level ten or someone like that.

just my two cents
5genlude said:
plus throtle response feels.. like slow..and peeple have told me my cars throtles response (5spd) feels like a v6...

u have to drive both and u will feel the difference..i did..

plus the 5spd will handle power much much better..

my 2cents
;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
i've got a 98 lude ss, and the tranny feels like its close to crapping out..

any suggestions on what to do once it does?

bout how much do tranny swaps run?

also, what can i do to make the tranny last as long as possible.. i can seriously feel it starting to give..

oh and before it does go out, i plan on running it..

once i get the timeslip, we'll see what a SS has got.. i've HEARD tons of different numbers, but never seen a timeslip for a stock 5th gen auto..

·
Registered
78 Posts
when i had the stock motor in my accord i ran 16.4. my friend has a ss lude with jus a intake and we are dead even from stop to 85 then the shitbox f22 runs out of steam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts