Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a squeaking noise intermittently the other day while turning. It's not a clicking and the noise is not affected by brake pressure (none to full). I believe its the wheel bearing and just wanted a conses cause I don't have much money atm to by a wheel bearing vs other steering parts to fix the cause and to keep it away from a shop to fix. Thank you in advance for any input.

09 Civic SI sedan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like break pad squeaing but the pads are all good throughout. Just not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Sounds like it is the wheel bearing.
Right now, since it is intermittent, you can probably get by with it and it's not that much of a personal nuisance. Later, the squealing will be heard all the time unless you are at a stop. At this point, the bearing is metal rubbing metal and will be very loud and will start requiring you to turn the radio up louder, and you will want to change the bearing. Save up, it's coming in a couple of months.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Since when do bad bearings sound like brakes squeaking?:confused

I hate trying to figure out what's wrong with a car going off of a typed description of a sound, for obvious reasons, but I'm saying; those two sounds are nothing alike.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Since when do bad bearings sound like brakes squeaking?:confused

I hate trying to figure out what's wrong with a car going off of a typed description of a sound, for obvious reasons, but I'm saying; those two sounds are nothing alike.
Brake pad sqeaking has a metallic sound, especially if it's worn beyond the pad material since the pad backing is metal. Anyway, the sound is occurring regardless of whether the brake pedal is being depressed or not.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Brake pad sqeaking has a metallic sound, especially if it's worn beyond the pad material since the pad backing is metal. Anyway, the sound is occurring regardless of whether the brake pedal is being depressed or not.
Yeah I got that bro, and I know why they squeak. What I'm saying is; in no way does a wheel bearing squeak or squeal. He said "it sounds like a brAKE pad squealing.." I'm not trying to suggest that it's the brakes. I'm flat out stating that it's not a bearing if it sounds like a worn pad. As I stated at first, bearings howl.. sound like bowling balls or something. A MUCH deeper note than a brake pad. Ya know?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Yeah I got that bro, and I know why they squeak. What I'm saying is; in no way does a wheel bearing squeak or squeal. He said "it sounds like a brAKE pad squealing.." I'm not trying to suggest that it's the brakes. I'm flat out stating that it's not a bearing if it sounds like a worn pad. As I stated at first, bearings howl.. sound like bowling balls or something. A MUCH deeper note than a brake pad. Ya know?
I guess I would have to hear it first hand in this person's car.
I had a mid 1990s Honda Accord and the front left wheel bearing was worn. It started out as intermittent squeeling. Later on, it was a constant squeeling. Depending on my speed, the sound of the worn bearings changed. The slower I was going, the lower the tone or pitch. The faster I was going, the higher the tone or pitch. It got really, really bad and noisy.
After I got it replaced, I felt Like I was driving in a high-end Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Lol yeah it's hard to tell from just a description. I have only had bad bearings in my truck, so maybe they're lower-pitched. I was thinking back, and I think the smallest car I've had to fool with them in was a buddy's Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Sometimes metal shavings get caught in the pads and sound like you need new ones. Just a thought. Did you turn your rotors last time you changed the pads, did the noise start after a brake job?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts