Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iunno if this has been posted before, but i figure since its for My own car, it would be different. I have a 02' RSX, and have not changed the brakes yet. It has like 33 thousand miles on it. And today driving home from school, i noticed when i slowly press the brake, it makes a squeel/whine noise. When i press them hard, it doesnt do it as much. Also when it is going in reverse, it sounds much worse, and more high pitched. Also when im driving at about 45, i will hear it make a quick noise, and i thought it was my intake at first, but then i realized it wasnt. Im taking it into acura tomorrow, but i was wondering what the problem might be, so i have an idea before i go there. Could it be that my pads are dirty? or what could it be, im not very knowledgable with brakes, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
your pads may are probably worn down and need to be replaced. you may have to resurface or replace your rotors as well.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
that's weird because pads should last at LEAST 60k miles.....but my gf's rsx was like that too. only 35k and the pads were gone. but i came to find out it's because when her sister borrowed the car, she'd put her left foot on the brake and just kept it there while driving.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to acura today, and they said i needed new rear brakes. They didnt think i needed new front ones but that they would check it out. So its gonna cost 250 bucks to get new rear, but luckily my dad said he would split it with me. So ima get it back tomorrow.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
WHOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OEM brake pads - $45-50 for the rear. a little more for the fronts
labor at the dealer - 30 minutes @ $60/hr = $30

if they're resurfacing the rotors, it should be like $25/rotor = $50
another 30 minutes to remove/replace the rotors = $30

so around $160 if they seriously work fast. damn dude. i dunno what to tell you. the dealer charged my gf $300 for all four corners. i told her i could do it, but her parents want the dealer to do everything. besides, they're rich :hehe

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Recently had:

2 Rear brake calipers = $250 (core = $180)
4 Ceramic brake pads = $80
4 Brembo Cross drilled/Slotted Rotors = ($210)

Total = $540 + $100 (Labor) - $180(Core) = $460

My point is you're paying more than half of my total spendings for all that work I did on my brake setup.
Honda Dealers are crazy sometimes!

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Well its too late now, but ill let my dad know. Shit i had a feeling that was a lot for breaks.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well apparently, i didnt get new brakes. They just resurfaced them, and gave me new brake pads. That only cost 60 bucks, but the fucking labor cost 170. When i saw the bill i was like :eek "Jesus Christ"

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i got that noise and checked my rear breaks for break dust and it has a lot... i cleaned and no more annoying squekkkkk. but there maybe other causes.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
if they're worn, its either that you are driving hard (autocross, road courses, whatever) or that you are riding them... if you are driving hard and wearing them out then i would suggest that you learn to change them yourself and save some change in the long run. if you arent racing, then you are doing something wrong and you should pay attention to your driving style and habits...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts