Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The airbag light came on in my '98 EX. I have heard that this is not unusual for this to happen. I'm thinking of resetting the ECU to see if it comes back on, or if it was just a glitch. I figured I'd ask around before I do anything.Does anyone have any knowledge, or a link about this situation?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
try resetting the ecu to see if that helps. if that doesnt work going to the dealer would be your next step.

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the light being on mean that the air bags will not deploy in case of an accident?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
tron said:
Does the light being on mean that the air bags will not deploy in case of an accident?
thats my understanding of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try resetting ECU first. Sometimes thats all it takes. Then do a search because there are diy diagnosis procedures on the web.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did your car battery die??

If it did, and when you got a jump start it started your car, but your cars airbags actually have a back-up battery in the event of an accident your car battery is damaged the back-up battery will deploy the air bag.

If thats the case, than your airbag won't deploy.

I drive with the airbag on because I'm too lazy to fix it, so I'd definitely would like to know what you do.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
airbags are fo suckaz! :lol2:....i don't have them

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
importinsider said:
Did your car battery die??

If it did, and when you got a jump start it started your car, but your cars airbags actually have a back-up battery in the event of an accident your car battery is damaged the back-up battery will deploy the air bag.

If thats the case, than your airbag won't deploy.

I drive with the airbag on because I'm too lazy to fix it, so I'd definitely would like to know what you do.
Nah, the car hasn't been jumped. It came on while normal driving. I at first thought it might have been a blown fuse somewhere in the charging system due to a past experience with a Mitsubishi Mirage....Same thing happened, just driving along and the airbag light went on then about 10 minutes later the battery light came on and the car just shut off while driving...The cause was that the alternator fuse blew...But the Civic is a different story, the light is on and everything else is normal. It's been on about a week already.I guess I'll have to try resetting the ECU this weekend when I get a chance and see what happens.

·
Registered
707 Posts
wilsel said:
...Then do a search because there are diy diagnosis procedures on the web.
DO NOT work on the airbags yourself. Take it to a dealership to have any work done on the airbags. Or just take the bulb out of the dash:D ...

·
Registered
747 Posts
youll need to reset the SRS

-Ignition off: Short MES connector
-Ignition on: SRS comes on and then goes out. within 4 seconds open connector (remove short)
-SRS light comes on. Within 4 seconds short connector.
-SRS light goes out. Within 4 seconds open connector (remove short).
-SRS light blinks twice and goes off indication sysytem has been reset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts