Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me on this one as I try to halp my mate extinguish / reset his SRS light. I've just tried the SRS reset on his Honda Accord (1998/99) and it went through all the motions, i.e. on / off and blinking twice etc but it the light comes back on when we restart the car.

I have two questions:

1) Does this SRS reset work on a 1998/99 Accord?

2) The SRS light came about as a result of the interior being replaced. The original interior had front seat airbags, but the interior fitted now is from the Type-R which does NOT have airbags in the seats (strange considering that interior belongs to a very high performance Accord compared with the 1.8 that my mate has) I have read somewhere that this reset will only work if the connection that was originally disturbed it put back together, If this is true, then is there no way to reset the SRS light with this interior in it, or is there a different procedure?

Please help as it's time to sell the car!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well if I understand you right, you completely eliminated 2 airbags out of the system. Did you do anything with those wires that led to the seat airbags or just leave them laying under the carpet? If so right now you have an open circuit and as far as the system is concerned that airbag is blown. I think the computer will see that as a problem if you reset it... :D

I have heard of a way to eliminate airbags by wiring a resistor (of a given value which I don't know and am afraid to measure for) in their place but the only sure way I know of would be to replace the airbag controller with one from a car that doesn't have seat airbags.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Type-R Has NO Seat Airbags!!!!!

Thanx rl0000. Yea you got it! Two airbags have been eliminated from the system. I'm curious though, I mean if the Type-R does NOT have airbags in the seat, it doesn't go around with the SRS light flashing. So there has to be a fix for this, probably something to do with unplugging some sort of wire from the SRS ECU (if there is one - shows how much I know about cars!!!) to make the computer think that only two airbags in the car are those fitted to the steering wheel and the passenger front. Question is...where????

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as I know Honda uses totally different control modules. The only safe way is to change out your SRS unit for one that does not have side airbags.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
short the plug w/ a 3ohm resistor.

oh and of course the srs reset isn't gonna work....YOU DON'T HAVE ANY AIRBAGS!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.