Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help man, I was wondering how high I could boost on pump gas? my goal is to have close to or above 400hp, is this possible without race gas? I am not sure if I need standalone engine management and/or sleeves or if it is even possible, I'm using an octane booster called "turbo 108" i think, if it makes a difference. As of right now i dont have any computer to control fuel or spark.

Also should I use the nitrous or just boost as high as I can and not use the nos?

Basically what is my limit with pump gas with today's aftermarket parts?

any info would be helpful, thanks,

Brandon

· Registered
125 Posts
400hp on pump gas is obtainable but that pushing the limits of the fuel. I wouldnt try to run nitrous and boost on pump gas.. it creates too high cylinder pressures. with that kind of cylinder pressure the fuel tries to ignite just from the pressure. just keep the timing very conservative.. I will suggest this.. its cheaper to fill up with race gas than rebuild the motor..

jason

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if I didnt use the nitrous about how much boost could I run(max), I'm thinking around 12-13, or do you think I could boost as high as 14-15?

But wouldnt I get more power using the nitrous like I am right now. The boost now is set at 10psi and I can use the nitrous with no problem.

Sorry, i dont mean to sound like a pain, but i figured i would ask you since you have more hands on experience than anyone else here.

Thanks again!
Brandon

· Registered
125 Posts
the amount of boost to make your power goals depends on your compression ratio. at 11:1, it would only take about 13-15psi or so to make 400hp and as you lower the CR it will take more boost to make the power. It also depends on your turbo and its trims.

jason

· Registered
53 Posts
I don't quite understand why running boost and nitrous is bad? I was acutally going to post about this because I've recently read a few threads on limitations of pump gas. I don't know a whole lot about this but was figured if the limitations of pump gas(93 octane) was in the neighborhood of 14-16psi, then why couldn't a direct shot of nitrous be used for more hp since it doesn't require more fuel to use nitrous right? I'm not arguing w/ you, I just don't understand:p The problem is, there is nowhere to buy anything higher than 93 around here, I've read before that octane booster is a joke!

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I have 9.5:1 compression, how much boost can I run on pump gas, 15-16psi? also what kind of management do you recommend.

· Registered
125 Posts
I figure limits on pump gas in HP per cylinder. and I feel that 75-95hp per cylinder is a safe limit on 93 octane.. nitrous adds horsepower but does not add to the limits. there is a detonation threshold that can be easily breached and will cause a motor to break.

blackteg

there are so many systems out, I would suggest checking them out for yourself..

www.hondata.com
www.aempower.com
www.fuelairspark.com
www.haltech.com
www.motec.com

the list goes on but you should find lots of info there.. after you check out the site feel free to email me about the differences of the ones you like.. Ive had experience with just about allof them

jason
[email protected]

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys for all the help!

Jason,
just out of curiosity, how did you get to know everything you know, because you seem to know a lot about this stuff. Did you study manuals or books, because I want to learn more but it seems that this web board is the most helpful, but I want more.

· Registered
220 Posts
I agree with St00pid he is dead on.... I would not use Nos with turbo unless you have a built motor and a clear understanding of boost and a very well tuned and dynoed car...

although im a bit curious as to what size turbo you have on your car... b/c 18 psi and 80shot of nos is a lot... real racer that have 9-8 sec race cars the highest shot of nos on those cars is 40-50 to get rid of the lag... are you sure your shooting 80shot..
FastNSX>>>I run 18 psi on pump gas and spray an 80 shot on top of that.

· Registered
125 Posts
I didnt mean to say that nitrous and boost cant be had on pump gas. I know lots of people that do it, however it creates high cylinder pressures that factory civic, integra ECUs cant compensate for. The ECU on a NSX is much better for doing ridiculous things. I have a friend that has been spraying a 150 shot on his NSX for 2 years and added a second stage last year. he ran a 11.6 on pump gas. Supra guys use nitrous all the time. mustangs guys supercharge their cars and add a shot of nitrous for intercooling. However I dont think that trying to spray a car that is already at the limits of the fuel and timing control is a good idea.

BTW, what are you running on your NSX? Compression ratio, what kind of nitrous system?

jason

· Registered
666 Posts
9.5:1 compression, 18 psi on pump gas and 24 psi on race gas. I spray an 80 shot as well, but I am thinking of bumping that to a 100 shot. Turbos and N2O go great together, but you have to have the engine management to make it work. I use a Motec.

· Registered
254 Posts
FastNSX said:
9.5:1 compression, 18 psi on pump gas and 24 psi on race gas. I spray an 80 shot as well, but I am thinking of bumping that to a 100 shot. Turbos and N2O go great together, but you have to have the engine management to make it work. I use a Motec.

all i can say is DAMN!!!!!!!

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is Alky Injection? and has anyone used it?

· Registered
666 Posts
IMHO, alcohol injection unecessarily complicates things unless you are building a very radical race motor. Generally, you can obtain the same results with less complexity if you just have good engine management.

For example, a couple of WRC cars use alcohol injection, but on street cars, it is usually a bandaid for low octane or less than optimal engine management.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.