Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true all starbucks have wireless internet? if so how come i cant pick their signal up from the outside? my wife works about 100 feet from a starbucks but we dont pick up a signal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Yeah I was just going to say you have to pay for it... The starbucks should have a T-Mobile CD (like a mini-cd) in a pamphlet and instructions... It might be a free trial at first, then you have to subscribe to something. Not sure into details of how much per month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
it should be free imo... but usually wireless networks like that are very weak, and have alot of blackouts/brownouts.

aside from that, there would be some sort of security attached with it, such as needing a key to access the service etc, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IISaiNtII said:
it should be free imo... but usually wireless networks like that are very weak, and have alot of blackouts/brownouts.

aside from that, there would be some sort of security attached with it, such as needing a key to access the service etc, etc...
i thought i would be able to get some free internet from them since im in the area. oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
try anyways, where I work, there are coffee shops and brewery's that offer free internet. There is probably an unsecure network around there.

Even where I live, there are around 8 networks and at least half are not secure (WEP).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Update on this situation.

I went to a Starbucks in Pomona, and they had two wireless signals there. One was the tmobile one, and another was something else. I'm not sure if it originated from that Starbucks, but the signal was the same. If you connect to the TMobile one, and try to visit sites, it'll just force a static T Mobile login page. You can't visit any other site unless you log in, or sign up right then and there through the site. I just used the other wireless signal, and it worked. I doubt that it was from the Starbucks though... Dunno :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jhwee said:
Update on this situation.

I went to a Starbucks in Pomona, and they had two wireless signals there. One was the tmobile one, and another was something else. I'm not sure if it originated from that Starbucks, but the signal was the same. If you connect to the TMobile one, and try to visit sites, it'll just force a static T Mobile login page. You can't visit any other site unless you log in, or sign up right then and there through the site. I just used the other wireless signal, and it worked. I doubt that it was from the Starbucks though... Dunno :).
is there anyways i can get wirless connection from people in my area? hopine its not encrypted? somehow when i click my view wireless settings i dont see any but mine.sometimes at work i dont mind having access to the net
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
is there anyways i can get wirless connection from people in my area? hopine its not encrypted? somehow when i click my view wireless settings i dont see any but mine.sometimes at work i dont mind having access to the net
Yeah, just hope it's not encrypted. Same as connecting to your own wireless connection. If you don't see any, maybe you'll have to move around the house to get a closer signal? I remember when I was in Pensylvannia, I had to set the notebook on the floor to get a stronger connection from neighbors, I guess downstairs.. and it worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jhwee said:
Yeah, just hope it's not encrypted. Same as connecting to your own wireless connection. If you don't see any, maybe you'll have to move around the house to get a closer signal? I remember when I was in Pensylvannia, I had to set the notebook on the floor to get a stronger connection from neighbors, I guess downstairs.. and it worked fine.
everyone tells they pick up lalot of wireless signals around the house from neighbors and stuff. but i have yet to see any other signals wherever ive been.

is there some kinda setting i have to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
it should be free imo... but usually wireless networks like that are very weak, and have alot of blackouts/brownouts.

aside from that, there would be some sort of security attached with it, such as needing a key to access the service etc, etc...

The only problem with free access is that someone can use it to look at child porn or do malicious acts such as steal another person's identity. If it's ever traced back to your access point or internet connection as having been used to perform those acts then you're held responsible. So they don't give it away. They make you pay for it and thus agree to an acceptable use policy.

And to the person who said that WEP is insecure. I've looked and looked for a crack tool for it that runs under windows and I simply can't find one. The best tools I can find run under linux and, admitedly, I can't navigate linux for shit. Is there a wep tool that i'm not seeing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
everyone tells they pick up lalot of wireless signals around the house from neighbors and stuff. but i have yet to see any other signals wherever ive been.

is there some kinda setting i have to do
You can try setting your transmit power to maximum, but I'm sure it's just the location. Did they tell you that they have a strong connection? Like the connection status is Excellent/Good/Poor, etc?

Go to Device Manager, and under your Network Adapters, right click your Wireless adapter and click Properties. There's some settings in there that deal with transmit power, channel etc. Just look around there. I'm not sure if that'll help though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jhwee said:
You can try setting your transmit power to maximum, but I'm sure it's just the location. Did they tell you that they have a strong connection? Like the connection status is Excellent/Good/Poor, etc?

Go to Device Manager, and under your Network Adapters, right click your Wireless adapter and click Properties. There's some settings in there that deal with transmit power, channel etc. Just look around there. I'm not sure if that'll help though.
nah no one told me anything. i was just hoping to get some free internet at work thats all. not a big deal to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
nah no one told me anything. i was just hoping to get some free internet at work thats all. not a big deal to me
Hehe. At work we have "campus-wide" wireless internet so yeah we just leech off of that when we bring our laptops to work. Both my computer connected straight to ethernet & the wireless have firewalls that blocks certain sites :(. Luckily this isn't one of them. :D.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top