Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ppl!
1 week ago a problem happened:
I started my car, and when it started, the car kept "trying to start" like "Gr Gr Gr Gr" even though the engine was ON. Then I thought that maybe the key was stuck, so I remove the key and the car went off, and then it started alone!!! with out me pressing the clutch!!! and it kept trying to start! So y opened the hood, disconect the battery so the car went off. I conected the battery and the engine went ON again with out the key! so I drove like that my car like 1 block to the nearest parking lot.

I sent it to Honda Dealer, after a couple of days they told me that it was the starter, so they "fix it". Now they told me that because of the starter got stuck in the flywheel, maybe some of the teeth of the flywheel went bad, so I have to change the flywheel!!! :mad Now every time that I start the engine, it makes a wierd noise only in ignition and since then the clutch pedal is VERY hard!

Could the starter kill the flywheel?
If Yes I was thinking about buying a Fidanza flywheel, is buying a fidanza flywheel is like plug and play? Can I put the flywheel with the oem clutch just like that?

Thanks 4 reading!
:clap

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yeah this is common plm for the starter/flywheel compatibility which cause the flywheel teeth damaged. You wouldn't need a new clutch or anything unless u want one. The clutch doesn't do anything to cause those kind of problem, but in my observation i think it would be good to go ahead and buy a new clutch along with new flywheel, so it'll save u time. Get any flywheel that are made with chrome. dont get one with aluminum since they tend to wrasp from heat. I got ACT prolite that weight 8.8 lbs for better acceleration since the lighter flywheel give better throttle response. U can also go for ACT streetlite if u want cuz it weight 12 lbs compare to prolite. Also, u can check on ebay since flywheel/clutch combo sell cheap than individual.

word of advice, dont try to crank ur car too much because it'll mess up ur distributor and starter and u'll end up paying more.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
installin flywheel is no easy task. U'll have to pull ur tranny apart, unbolt the clutch in order to remove the flywheel. If u didn't torque spec within the factory spec, then either the longlivity will be short or u'll be causing major problem. I can give u a link of the article via PM that u can install the clutch and flywheel urself, but this type of article that i found is made for integra. The only difference in that article is that u'll have to find the torque specs to correctly torque all the bolts in the flywheel and clutch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!
whats does "word of advice, dont try to crank ur car too much because it'll mess up ur distributor and starter and u'll end up paying more." Mean? sorry for my bad english. :noo

Well, the previous owner changed the clutch, the clutch always felt very fine!
maybe 7000 miles on it? I will tell them to see the condition of the clutch, when they change the flywheel, if it need change, I´ll probably change it with the OEM.

I use the car for daily driving, trafic and all, and sometimes run against bmw :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you order a fidanza flywheel you need a new pilot bearing. You'll have to get this straight from fidanza. When I ordered my flywheel (from monkeywrenchracing), they didn't send a pilot bearing for the flywheel. The opening in the center of the oem flywheel is about 1/2". The fidanza is about 1". Didn't know this till my car was up on the lift at the dealer. Overnighted a pilot bearing for free.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
promo2000 said:
Thanks for the reply!
whats does "word of advice, dont try to crank ur car too much because it'll mess up ur distributor and starter and u'll end up paying more." Mean? sorry for my bad english. :noo

Well, the previous owner changed the clutch, the clutch always felt very fine!
maybe 7000 miles on it? I will tell them to see the condition of the clutch, when they change the flywheel, if it need change, I´ll probably change it with the OEM.

I use the car for daily driving, trafic and all, and sometimes run against bmw :D
Oh, i dont think u'll need to buy new clutch then. If it new, then it's good. yeah. i would check to see if it is still alrite.

Wat i mean by crankin ur car too much is.. Don't try to start ur car too much because if u did, then u'll be causing more problem not only for ur flywheel to get bad, but maybe ur clutch and other thing. (just an idea cuz anything can happen). The distributor cap and starter are wat make ur car start. If u try to start too much and couldn't get it to start, then u'll 'break' the starter and distributor cap since both are tryin soo hard to start for u too much.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
snackpacks said:
If you order a fidanza flywheel you need a new pilot bearing. You'll have to get this straight from fidanza. When I ordered my flywheel (from monkeywrenchracing), they didn't send a pilot bearing for the flywheel. The opening in the center of the oem flywheel is about 1/2". The fidanza is about 1". Didn't know this till my car was up on the lift at the dealer. Overnighted a pilot bearing for free.
is fidanza flywheel under JUN company or something?? also is it made from chrome or aluminum??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
viet_83 said:
installin flywheel is no easy task. U'll have to pull ur tranny apart, unbolt the clutch in order to remove the flywheel. If u didn't torque spec within the factory spec, then either the longlivity will be short or u'll be causing major problem. I can give u a link of the article via PM that u can install the clutch and flywheel urself, but this type of article that i found is made for integra. The only difference in that article is that u'll have to find the torque specs to correctly torque all the bolts in the flywheel and clutch.
Thanks for offering me that useful article, but the dealer will change me the flywheel so I will have warranty over the job.

At the dealer told me that it would be all right to be driving my car, true?
Should I got, Fidanza, Act of Exedy? :confused

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
promo2000 said:
Thanks for offering me that useful article, but the dealer will change me the flywheel so I will have warranty over the job.

At the dealer told me that it would be all right to be driving my car, true?
it is at ur own risk. Just trust ur own gut and feel if it is safe or not. Most of all, just drive safely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts