Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you New Yorkers have heard, the state inspection for vehicles '96 and newer requires a direct link from your factory OBD system to Albany while your vehicle is running. Here's my problem: I have a '00 Civic Si that is extremely modified and I use an aftermarket ECU. I have a friend that owns a stock '00 Si. Could I pull the PROM out of my factory ECU and put it in his in order to pass the inspection? :bh

·
Registered
112 Posts
What ECU are you running?

If you are running an OBD1 ECU you can just plug in your Buddies OBD2.

You need to remove the harness. And depending on your mod that may not be a good idea. It may throw check engine light city.

Just let them plug it in. It will read everything just like its an OBD1 and as long as you have no check engine lights you should have no issues. If they ask you if your car is OBD1 just tell them it is...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just plugging into somebody else's OBD won't cut it. The inspector first has to scan the registration on the windshield before he plugs into the ECU. The inspector's PC then verifies (through a direct link to Albany) that the ECU matches the vehicle via the VIN #. It's my understanding that the E-Prom stores that information. I was hoping that I could take the E-Prom out of my no longer functioning ECU and plug it into my friend's. Then the inspector could scan my registration and hook his PC to the other car. Does this make any sense?

For the record, in December of 2004 New York State changed inspection criteria for '96 and newer. It must be OBD2 without any emissions related codes. Albany determines if it is a pass or fail not the inspector.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
Yes, New York is officially the worst state EVER.
Thought that was California?

Don't think the ecu has the vin info. If the factory ecu goes bad and Honda replaces it, its just a generic ecu for that model car. Its not programmed with vin info.

C

·
0 Posts
Thought that was California?
Nope, it's definately NY.

But, bradailey, I understand what you're saying. Maybe you should call your local Honda dealership, or a trusted mechanic, and ask them. Maybe you'll be fine with the aftermarket ECU you have now.

Maybe this will help: Kinda long, but worth reading...

THE UPSTATE AREA - THE NEW NYS VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAM (NYVIP)

The Upstate Area has a new program for annual vehicle inspection (NYVIP). The Upstate Area includes the 53 counties located north of the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County, and Westchester County.

What is the new NYS vehicle inspection program (NYVIP)?

The NYVIP is a program that will include a new inspection of the emissions control systems on vehicles that have a model year of 1996 and newer. The NYVIP inspection also includes:

the current safety inspection,
the current gas cap check, and
the current visual inspection of the emission control devices.
For the new inspection, the NYS-licensed inspection station uses new equipment to monitor the on-board diagnostic system (OBDII) of your vehicle. The station uses the new equipment, a modem, and a dedicated telephone line to report the inspection results to the DMV.

The inspection station also uses the NYVIP equipment to conduct the inspections for motorcycles, trailers, and vehicles that have a model year of 1995 and older, but the station does not conduct the ODBII inspection for these vehicles.

The NYVIP will help NYS to comply with the Federal Clean Air Act, decrease the emissions from motor vehicles, and reduce air pollution.

Annual safety inspections are required for all vehicles that the law does not exempt. To learn more about safety inspections, read the DMV brochure, "New York State Vehicle Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks".

What is "OBDII"?

"OBDII" is the acronym that indicates "on-board diagnostics - version two". The OBDII is a computer system that monitors the correct operation of the engine and the emissions control systems of the vehicle. Vehicles that have a model year of 1996 or newer and that weigh 8,500 lbs. or less have the OBDII. If the OBDII detects a problem that can result in excessive emissions, a malfunction indicator light (MIL) illuminates to inform the driver or automotive technician.

Which vehicles must get the new OBDII test?

The new OBDII test is required for any non-exempt vehicle that:

has a model year of 1996 or newer, and
is more than two model years old, and
displays a weight that is less than 8,501 lbs. on the vehicle registration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the VIN being stored on the E-prom being a myth, why would NYS go to the trouble of implementing this type of system if you could cheat just by simply scanning one registration and plugging into another vehicle?

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
Go to a place that looks like they have cool mechanics and tell them "I really need to pass" Also have a fifty bill in you hand. shake his hand befor your car goes in!

Alway take you car in to the same place every time so you get cool with them. I change my oil at a local gass stations and pump gas there and ever time i need an inspection they just pass me! (i do know how to change my oil but its cold and i only cost $12 with my own oil and filter)

They can also grant you a waver if the cost of fixing is more! But you'll have to pay like $500. This is for emisions in VA.

C

·
0 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
Go to a place that looks like they have cool mechanics and tell them "I really need to pass" Also have a fifty bill in you hand. shake his hand befor your car goes in!

Alway take you car in to the same place every time so you get cool with them. I change my oil at a local gass stations and pump gas there and ever time i need an inspection they just pass me!

We can't.. that's the problem. The DMV makes a direct connection, they'd know if you didn't take or pass the test....

C

·
0 Posts
OK. I just called my dealership. The VIN is NOT stored in the car's ECU, they type the VIN in. Also, he said that even if you have an aftermarket ECU, you will be fine as long as it's not throwing any codes. Good luck.

·
Banned
87 Posts
this may make you feel better.

in maryland, all counties west of garrett and allegany(one in which I live) are subject to an inspection of the exhaust gases using and osciloscope(I think that's what it's called I forget)...In other words if there's anything that is done to your exhaust they will know. It has to be within factory specs + or minus whatever they feel is good. Nothing but stock will pass in the great state of maryland, Unless like type_sh said, fifty in hand or you know the people luckily I know people and I'm wokring on studying on my state inspection license.

I was pulled over the other night for my car being too low, exhaust was too loud, even though there's sileners in it, and my windows being too dark followed by an do you have the front license plate, are you going to put it on or do you just think it's kewl to not have it in front? :bh

·
Registered
128 Posts
ricer99' said:
I was pulled over the other night for my car being too low, exhaust was too loud, even though there's sileners in it, and my windows being too dark followed by an do you have the front license plate, are you going to put it on or do you just think it's kewl to not have it in front? :bh
Thats just wrong!
So what does the tuner community do in Maryland if they ticket for anything thats not stock?

·
Banned
87 Posts
have to get it re-inspected.. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts