Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I drive my car for about 20 miles the steering wheel starts to shake back and forth. I believe I am having two problems. When I make turns left or right it sounds like my right axel is clanking loudly and it's getting louder with time. Even when I raise my rmp I hear clicking. The longer I drive the louder the clicking gets even at low rpm. All the boots are in good condition. My car is up on jack stands and everything seems tight and in place.

· Registered
49,788 Posts
If I replace my ball joints could that fix all the symptoms my car is having?
possibly
jack up the front on the car. make sure the steering wheel is locked, try to move both front tires up down left right with your hands, if theres any play at all then its either ball joints or tie rods

· Registered
49,788 Posts
I took my egnition lock off, but there does seem to be a slight amound of play when I move the wheels left to right as if I am making a left or right turn.
hmm i think left and right are tie rod ends

· Registered
13,249 Posts
Tie rod is what makes your wheels turn, and they connect to the steering rack.

If you shake the wheel/tire with your hands at 9-3 clock positions, and it feels like there is slop that is your tie rod. There are inner and outer tie rods. The inner has two threaded ends, the outer has one threaded end and a ball joint.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When I turn the wheels back and forth it seems smooth. Im not sure what you meen by "slop". I can see the threaded part(it looks a little like a coil) pop in and out of the boot and I can see the ball joint. Im can not tell if anything is wrong with this part. When I held my hands at 9 and 3 and shook the wheel there was a very slight amout of play, but I located that play and it was the bushing where the tie rod connected near the wheel. It was only slightly worn and I do not think that is the problem.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If my axel is badly damaged could it cause my wheel to jerk back and forth after it gets hot. My boots are not worn much, but I am wondering if the engine was producing a great amount of torque, could it damage the axels prematurely and create these symptoms.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
even though the boots on the axle looks good, the constant velocity joints that are housed inside of them can still go bad. this is most likely the problem, you need new axles.

· Registered
49,788 Posts
I think im going to replace the passenger side axel and see if that works. Do you know if I can use a b18 axel or do I need a CRV axel? I'm thinking a CRV axel would be stronger if it fits.
just go with a b18 axel

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told if my axel is bad it can not make the wheel shake side to side or pull to the right. Is this true even if the axel is severely damaged? I am trying to pin point if it is the axel or my tie rod/ball joint. The clanking noise that the car makes when the wheel is shaking is making me think its the axel.

· Registered
397 Posts
Clicking while turning is typically the CV joints (axles). Just replace it.
You are right. I think that it is the cv axles. Thats what it usually is when there is clicking and popping while turning. It would explaining all of the vibration in the steering too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.