Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on getting the GReedy TD05-18G turbo kit for my 98 ls.Ive heard some stories about people running 10-12psi on stock internals and never having a problem. other people ive talked to say to always to build the block before turboing on the ls because of horror stories of blown motors running 6-8psi.Could this be from not being tunned right, or driver abuse?plz someone with knowledge of ls turbos fill me in. Getting a motor sleeved and new pistons and rods is very expensive to me, this is a daily driver and will be taken to the track every couple of weekends or so.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Invest in the tuning and that motor can handle about 300whp stock.
most likely they blew the motot due to poor tuning.
I wouldn't run more then about 8psi with the greddy kit and gredy fuel managment. Upgrade the fuel management to something better (hondata,aem,etc) and you should be set to make some good power.
May I ask why your choosing the greddy kit?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
stay away from the greddy kit unless you are never gonna build your motor... i had the greddy kit on my ls and that turbo is too small to make good power on an ls after the motor build. and the ls motor will hold up fine to a turbo. remember the tune is what makes the engine reliable. my stock ls engine held 16psi for a long ass time till i did a 5th gear pull and my temps got too high and cracked my ringlands. now thats not alot of boost for a tdo4 because i was only making close to 240ish to the wheels and the ls can hold 300.
now if you have a bigger turbo its a different story. you will make more power on less boost. i would go with 10 or less psi. trust me you will be happy on 10psi it hauls ass..... but get a better turbo kit than greddy. i had to redo it cause the kit wont support the power you wanna make after a build..... hope i helped out. :eek:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
egvtec said:
stay away from the greddy kit unless you are never gonna build your motor... i had the greddy kit on my ls and that turbo is too small to make good power on an ls after the motor build. and the ls motor will hold up fine to a turbo. remember the tune is what makes the engine reliable. my stock ls engine held 16psi for a long ass time till i did a 5th gear pull and my temps got too high and cracked my ringlands. now thats not alot of boost for a tdo4 because i was only making close to 240ish to the wheels and the ls can hold 300.
now if you have a bigger turbo its a different story. you will make more power on less boost. i would go with 10 or less psi. trust me you will be happy on 10psi it hauls ass..... but get a better turbo kit than greddy. i had to redo it cause the kit wont support the power you wanna make after a build..... hope i helped out. :eek:
:stupid :tu great advice. The greddy kit is a waste in my opinion. If i were u i would just go custom. Buy all the shit u want to go in ur car and youlll come out around the saem as if u bought one of the so called "kits" that all seem to come with garbage engine and fuel management.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
95accordlx said:
:stupid :tu great advice. The greddy kit is a waste in my opinion. If i were u i would just go custom. Buy all the shit u want to go in ur car and youlll come out around the saem as if u bought one of the so called "kits" that all seem to come with garbage engine and fuel management.
he's is right also... we both built our own kits and are very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
egvtec said:
he's is right also... we both built our own kits and are very happy with them.
You can count me on that one too. I've built two kits for myself (d-series and b-series) and a few for friends.

·
Registered
112 Posts
is it worth to use the evo 8 trubo, because im getting one from a friend for free all i need is a custom manifold and downpipe...

·
Registered
197 Posts
inline pro makes a good kit, so does full-race. like most other people though, im running a custom kit. that's the best way to go; you get all of the parts you want (some kits tend to skimp on certain things). anyways, ive been running 10psi on my SC44 (bigger than a td05) on my LS with stock internals with no problems whatsoever. i have been running this way for almost 6 months now. even had a few pedal to the floor runs (from 2nd gear-35mph to 5th gear-140+mph).

Kyle R

·
Registered
38 Posts
remeber egvtec you had a sohc turbo kit on a dohc thats why it didnt feel good and you would have been making more like 210-230... if he gets the dohc kit that is really for his car it may not be that bad at all, if he gets it used for cheap like i did. you can make good power on a greddy kit but your not going to see crazy numbers like 400 hp with an internal wastegate. you would be looking at 250-280 with the greddy kit and a good Fuel Mang. System like hondata or AEM... look around people sell kits all the time for cheap. Big boy brad aka egvtec lets see who beating who when i build my motor in a week .. :D or should i say when you build my motor lol. thanks again.. you owe me for this turbo ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts