Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my O2 sensor was bad and throwing a CEL. I got a new sensor and whilst attempting to remove the old one discovered that the SOB who owned the car before me actually had a threaded O2 sensor welded into the stock position on the header.
I think that the threads must have been stripped out or something....but WTF.
Anyway, due to the bad welding and age of the header I may have to buy a new manifold.
Any suggestions on where to get a stock manifold for cheap? I checked local junk yards and nothing is readily available.

Any suggestions for online companies?

I am going to turbo the thing sooner or later...but right now it isn't an option. But a good used manifold or an inexpensive tubular would be good.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this shit people do to their car spur of the moment. autozone has tap and die sets people can borrow. sorry you got screwed like that homey
How does somebody justify WELDING a THREADED O2 sensor in? I mean damn you are already at the friggin shop get them to spray the thing with WD40, let it sit, and the wrench like hell. Then, if it is stripped, weld a new BUNG on the thing and screw your new O2 sensor in.

I checked out egay and they are going pretty cheap. While I am doing this should I replace my D16Z6 with a D16Y8?

· Registered
217 Posts
If you find one for a good deal then go for it if it's a complete swap. Not sure how many miles are on your D16Z6 but if there aren't a LOT(I consider 175,000 and lower not bad for Honda's pending on the owner, but that's just me :)) and it's good mechanical condition then I think swapping it would be pointless for such a small upgrade unless you find a reallllllyyyyy good deal. Just my .02 though. If it runs and drives fine then why change it, wait til there's a good reason to get something new, specially if you're not made of money and have other things on the car(or life expenses) that need to be taken care of first. Again, just my .02 and my plan for my stock D15. Good luck with the manifold though, hope you find a deal! :)

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to suck it up and get a new exhaust manifold.
Turns out the thing wasn't welded in but it was completely frozen into place. Once I heated the manifold with a torch and got a big breaker bar the O2 sensor came right out. But it took the threads with it and cracked the manifold by the sensor bung.

However, the CEL is still on. I took out the backup fuse and the ECU fuse...nothing. When I turn the engine on the damned CEL is still on.

Any help? What can I do to completely reset my ECU?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.