Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
capn said:
Hey all

since my budget is tight would i hurt my b16 at all if i ran a straight header for a week or two???
No, and it's quite a bit peppier...I ran like that for 2 years on the street...yes I drove it everyday...it's not too loud when just putting around, but you'll have to pull away from stoplights like a grandma and shift at like 2800rpms not to be noticed. When you get on it, you can hear it for about a half a mile, one of my friends heard me coming down a main road to his shop and he said..."that was you?? It sounded like 2 sportbikes racing" So yes it's loud.

And it wont burn a valve or anything...blah...maybe if you ran only the primary part and not the b-pipe I'd be worried but, as long as you're using the full header nothing will happen....I promise.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Straight header, safe?

eghybrid said:
No, and it's quite a bit peppier...I ran like that for 2 years on the street...yes I drove it everyday...it's not too loud when just putting around, but you'll have to pull away from stoplights like a grandma and shift at like 2800rpms not to be noticed. When you get on it, you can hear it for about a half a mile, one of my friends heard me coming down a main road to his shop and he said..."that was you?? It sounded like 2 sportbikes racing" So yes it's loud.

And it wont burn a valve or anything...blah...maybe if you ran only the primary part and not the b-pipe I'd be worried but, as long as you're using the full header nothing will happen....I promise.
really now?? 2 years?? and you didnt hurt a thing? wow im impresssed but what mods did you have to your engine??

and a DC 4-1 header would be a fine specimen to use for this perhaps?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Straight header, safe?

capn said:
really now?? 2 years?? and you didnt hurt a thing? wow im impresssed but what mods did you have to your engine??

and a DC 4-1 header would be a fine specimen to use for this perhaps?
No, not anymore, I sold my motor to a friend for $1500, to fund another project. I miss it a little, but by next summer that should all change.

Yes I ran that way for years, and no it didn't, and won't hurt a thing, between the primaries and collector everything needed for proper exhaust scavenging and anti-reversion is present and the engine won't get hurt...everything beyond the header is just there to keep the car quiet.

My set-up was...2nd Gen B16, Type-R head, Spoon ventulli plate, short ram, USDM ITR tranny, ACT clutch, clutchmasters flywheel...good enough to pull about a car on a S2K w/DC exhaust from a 40-100mph roll, and the open header helped alot...plus it's awesome to see the look on an LS1 driver's face when he thinks his car is loud with an SLP Loudmouth exhaust.:D

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Open headers = noise tickets. Fair warning.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Open headers = noise tickets. Fair warning.
2 years everyday...no noise tickets. :D

it's not too loud when just putting around, but you'll have to pull away from stoplights like a grandma and shift at like 2800rpms not to be noticed.
But, my old roommate drove that way for two weeks and got a ticket...LOL...you just have to be smart.

BTW...love the car Nathan...will we be soon seeing "ATI Pro-chraged" in your mods list soon??;)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thanks.
But sadly, no....
I'd rather throw gravels in my intake then try to run FI on this engine (stock). Shit... it pings on 91 octane. :D
It's a little risky on this compression with these rods/pistons, IMO, and I really don't have the money to get a new engine if it does eat it.
I DO see another ~420-430 RWHP heads/cam LS1 in my future, though.
;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
capn said:
also, would i expect more gains in hp when i do mods like cams, intake and things like that compared to a system that has a full catback??
Yeah, gains won't be huge compared to a good catback like an Apexi N1 but it's still good for 10+hp or so, but compared to stock exhaust it's a HUGe gain, I guarantee if you dynoed with your stock CX exhaust versus open header you'd be looking at 25+hp easy.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eghybrid said:
Yeah, gains won't be huge compared to a good catback like an Apexi N1 but it's still good for 10+hp or so, but compared to stock exhaust it's a HUGe gain, I guarantee if you dynoed with your stock CX exhaust versus open header you'd be looking at 25+hp easy.
25hp:eek: wow i may have 100 horsepower. but im swappin in a B series so hopefully the gain may be even more impressive 170-190??? perhaps

·
Registered
786 Posts
capn said:
25hp:eek: wow i may have 100 horsepower. but im swappin in a B series so hopefully the gain may be even more impressive 170-190??? perhaps
The 25+hp gain is the gain you'd get compared with your B16 breathing through your stock CX exhaust, with the CX motor you'll probably only see 10hp or so.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eghybrid said:
The 25+hp gain is the gain you'd get compared with your B16 breathing through your stock CX exhaust, with the CX motor you'll probably only see 10hp or so.
ohh ok i see, but still more hp from a cx motor thats pretty good.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
mrmyz said:
i dont think it sould be a problem engine wise because i hear stories from my neighbors about how he used to run str8 headers on his vette. Now he runs str8 headers but he has some system that switches it on and off. the system he has was on trucks or something
ya v8's and i4's are totally different engines

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i asked my auto teacher and he is an old time drag racer. soo this is his take on the whole straight pipe issue, he said that he ahd an old chevy with straight pipes and it ran like shit for a while but once he got a pipe that went out the side it created back pressure to help the worn valves close, but once he got new vavle springs and took the side pipes off it ran just as good if not better than just the single straight pipes he had. soo i gonna go by his word cause that is very good advice:D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
capn said:
i asked my auto teacher and he is an old time drag racer. soo this is his take on the whole straight pipe issue, he said that he ahd an old chevy with straight pipes and it ran like shit for a while but once he got a pipe that went out the side it created back pressure to help the worn valves close, but once he got new vavle springs and took the side pipes off it ran just as good if not better than just the single straight pipes he had. soo i gonna go by his word cause that is very good advice:D
you shouldn't, you don't want backpressure, you want flow velocity with as little back pressure as possible, will it hurt it? no, will the car run like shit? yes

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
temp03 said:
you shouldn't, you don't want backpressure, you want flow velocity with as little back pressure as possible, will it hurt it? no, will the car run like shit? yes
well if my springs are good which they most likely will be i can run straight header and not hurt anything but if i have wak exhaust springs backpressure will help it close. but im just gonna run it straight

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
capn said:
well if my springs are good which they most likely will be i can run straight header and not hurt anything but if i have wak exhaust springs backpressure will help it close. but im just gonna run it straight

what?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts