Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i ordered a catalytic converter from kteller and they sent me one that was 3 inches too long. they wont take it back. so now i have to go to a muffler shop and have it installed. until i have money to do that, i took my stock cat and knocked out all the insides, making it a hollow pipe. then i stuck it back on. i figured this was theoretically a straight pipe and would get me more hp. that = good. anywho, i had a cel light come on before i changed my cat and it was telling me to change the cat. so now that i knocked all the stuff out i was wondering if it would go away...it didnt. so in case i decide to keep this setup, is there a way to get the cel light to go off? i dont think its a new problem, i think its just becuase the air coming out of the cat is still crappy and unfiltered.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
manalishi said:
so i ordered a catalytic converter from kteller and they sent me one that was 3 inches too long. they wont take it back. so now i have to go to a muffler shop and have it installed. until i have money to do that, i took my stock cat and knocked out all the insides, making it a hollow pipe. then i stuck it back on. i figured this was theoretically a straight pipe and would get me more hp. that = good. anywho, i had a cel light come on before i changed my cat and it was telling me to change the cat. so now that i knocked all the stuff out i was wondering if it would go away...it didnt. so in case i decide to keep this setup, is there a way to get the cel light to go off? i dont think its a new problem, i think its just becuase the air coming out of the cat is still crappy and unfiltered.
well yeah... if the cel code was about a bad cat then it means that the sensor reads tha your cat doesn' have good gas filtering and by turning it into a test pipe you make it worst...
i thing some ecu's can hack and bypass this reading so you don't get any cel's

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, i read what it was. correct me if im wrong, but an open loop makes your car run off an air/fuel ratio set by your ecu that stays the same the whole time. closed loop would adjust the air/fuel ratio based on info from the o2 sensor. right?

so how do i "close" this "loop"

·
Registered
699 Posts
manalishi said:
okay, i read what it was. correct me if im wrong, but an open loop makes your car run off an air/fuel ratio set by your ecu that stays the same the whole time. closed loop would adjust the air/fuel ratio based on info from the o2 sensor. right?

so how do i "close" this "loop"
yes. When you are in open loop, your car is running off preset fuel and ignition values.

closed loop uses the primary and secondary o2 sensors to aid in fuel compensation based upon the signals from the o2 sensors to the ecu.

Running open loop all the time will normally make your gas mileage go down.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
road.head said:
yes. When you are in open loop, your car is running off preset fuel and ignition values.

closed loop uses the primary and secondary o2 sensors to aid in fuel compensation based upon the signals from the o2 sensors to the ecu.

Running open loop all the time will normally make your gas mileage go down.
my gas mileage blows already anyway. so now i just need to know how to do this.

·
Registered
699 Posts
twokexlv6coupe said:
damn, thats fuckin horrible :wow

do you drive like a bat outta helll????

he's running open loop all the time. That mpg is to be expected. I tested it out with this last tank of gas. I have the option of running my car in open loop at all times with the click of a button in crome. Driving around in open loop, i've got less than a 1/4th of a tank left and i have only gone 205 miles.
With closed loop enabled, i "can" :p get over 300 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
road.head said:
he's running open loop all the time. That mpg is to be expected. I tested it out with this last tank of gas. I have the option of running my car in open loop at all times with the click of a button in crome. Driving around in open loop, i've got less than a 1/4th of a tank left and i have only gone 205 miles.
With closed loop enabled, i "can" :p get over 300 miles to a tank.
i am?

but yeah, my gas mileage blows. thats how has been since i bought the car though.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
My car gets great mileage...running close or open loop.

Go to www.ntpog.org

under the mods sections....they should have a write up on which wire to cut to make your car run in open loop.

I have been doing this for years....it doesn't harm the engine in any way. I also run a test pipe.

good luck.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
manalishi said:
the obdII workaround link is dead... :(

from the top of my head.....remove the passenger side floor mat, the lining...remove the bolts that are there to get to the ECU.

flip the ecu over and you will see a lone white wire with a yellow strip on it....I believe its on the upper right hand corner when looking at the ecu flipped torwards the front of the car. (pull ecu forward and flip over towards front of car). Snip the lone wire on the upper right hand side.

reinstall everything.

Hopefully thats 100% right....but its close to that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.