Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think? I have taken my ractive pipe off and now I have 2 1/2" pipe and a high flow cat..so in essence straight through exhaust. I put a pilot tip on the end. performance wise on a n/a motor do you guys think this is ok? I mean I have no back pressure now. which I know isn't good. but other than that... I raced an audi a4 the other night and seemed to keep with him with no problem, until I had to turn off my exit going about 115-120. I was planning on putting my buddies pipe on but everything is burned out in it.. so should I waste the 20 dollars or not..?

BTW the exhaust is a (1 3/4" each) dual outlet 2 1/2" inlet Ractive racing muffler. I paid 125 for it and am looking to get about 40-50 out of it. It's in decent condition and it has a low tone to it and is quiet until in the higher rpm's. that's if anyone is interested.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep em comin'

·
Registered
173 Posts
back pressure....

ricer99' said:
what do you guys think? I have taken my ractive pipe off and now I have 2 1/2" pipe and a high flow cat..so in essence straight through exhaust. I put a pilot tip on the end. performance wise on a n/a motor do you guys think this is ok? I mean I have no back pressure now. which I know isn't good. but other than that... I raced an audi a4 the other night and seemed to keep with him with no problem, until I had to turn off my exit going about 115-120. I was planning on putting my buddies pipe on but everything is burned out in it.. so should I waste the 20 dollars or not..?

BTW the exhaust is a (1 3/4" each) dual outlet 2 1/2" inlet Ractive racing muffler. I paid 125 for it and am looking to get about 40-50 out of it. It's in decent condition and it has a low tone to it and is quiet until in the higher rpm's. that's if anyone is interested.

no back pressure does not hurt the engine performance at all.
it just allows increased flow.
an engine needing back pressure to run properly is a myth.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you somenoe who agrees with me.

Reactions: explosivpotato

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
keep it like that.

If it's not too loud for you then your car should pick up a few ponies in the upper RPMS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
personally, i think straight piped 4 cylinders sound like shit. :noo its loud and sounds rice! It wont hurt much of anything, but to me, i just dont favor it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
carjunkie06 said:
personally, i think straight piped 4 cylinders sound like shit. :noo its loud and sounds rice! It wont hurt much of anything, but to me, i just dont favor it.
You sure it's just not shitty exhaust systems that your hearing. I have the Tanabe Racing Medallion with essentially a straight pipe and it sounds really good. I admit, it does get pretty loud at about 7K.

·
Registered
168 Posts
GSRGreenSleeper said:
You sure it's just not shitty exhaust systems that your hearing. I have the Tanabe Racing Medallion with essentially a straight pipe and it sounds really good. I admit, it does get pretty loud at about 7K.
it is true, been there done that. :number1

·
Registered
98 Posts
carjunkie06 said:
straight pipe is perfectly fine, if you have a resonator and maybe a cat. It all depends on your own preference. I will have to agree that if it doesnt have a resonator and a cat, and there are some leaks in the welds, then yah, it will sound really raspy, like that trapped bee buzzing around.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
carjunkie06 said:
it's all in preference, i think in ur point u are all about wat is rice or not. IN performance wise, i would love to have a straight pipe because it actually produced more power than mandrel bent and crush bent exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
explosivpotato said:
no back pressure does not hurt the engine performance at all.
it just allows increased flow.
an engine needing back pressure to run properly is a myth.

I disagree, backpressure provides torque... You need backpressure to give you the torque numbers.... HP is nothing without Torque!!! Remember that torque = acceleration!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have a straight pipe and i think its too loud. i am trying to find ways to get it more quiet

would 4-2-1 header = more or less noise

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
do us all a favor and stick like 18 bananas in your pipes......either that or quit street racing.

edit: oh and to answer the question.....backpressure is a crock of shit.....depending on how well the exhaust flows will determine where the powerband is. having a totally free flowing 4-1 straight pipe exhaust will move the powerband higher and give a bigger peak at a higher rpm. however, if you have something that slows down the exhaust flow like a 4-2-1 header, then the mid to high range gets a decent gain, but not as big of a gain as a 4-1.

·
Registered
478 Posts
torque...

ginyu6869 said:
I disagree, backpressure provides torque... You need backpressure to give you the torque numbers.... HP is nothing without Torque!!! Remember that torque = acceleration!!!

back pressure CAN help LOW end. no back pressure will help the high end.
highend TORQUE like on a honda is increased!! However, the low end torque will be less, maybe even making the car harder to drive in town...
fox MAX torque, and HP, NO back pressure it the best bet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but a straight pipe system must not have a cat or muffler. hence, straight pipe.

your car will perform better with straight piping. oh, and this one time i saw this Rx-8 with straight pipes... omg that was amazing... so do a rotary swap and you're all good :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts