Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
Ok a couple things.
1. I honestly think that the atmosphere is fucked up because of planes and other large vehicles(buses,semi's,construction vehicles) that don't have to pass smog. Not all of the everyday other cars on the road. Well maybe the muscle cars that get like 3mpg.

2. Have you ever looked inside of a cat? It's a bunch of fuckin catalyst honeycomb shit in the way of the exhaust flow. How's that for turbulence and losing power. Let's start from the the exhaust ports. Ok, air is coming out, flowing nicely through the primaries of the header, and then BAM a fuckin wall of catalyst honeycomb. Sounds like some restriction and turbulence to me. I personally have a gutted cat and it sounds like shit, but it feels less restricted. It was a carsound high flo to begin with and I gutted it out one day; you wouldn't belive how much bullshit came out of it. It does sound like shit and I don't notice a whole lot of gain from it, and miss how my car used to sound, but it was free and gave little gains. I think a straight pipe would be the best bet because it's a straight path all of the way through.

Ok , it is so funny how people only want to read and take what they want from it!

1-I never said that a semi was less harmful to our air, then a civic with a hollowed cat or a stright pipe. I said, we have laws in place because people are irresponsible and take the mentality of its free or its cheaper then what is right. Not that a stright pipe is any worse then a 18 wheeler, just that if everyone pitches in and helps and does not take the attitude of oh well it is free or cheaper. thus why laws have been put into place, to try and fix or prolong the effects of all the shit we put into the air.

2-Ok, Unless you put your car on the dyno, you could never feel gains(whether it be positive or negative). Yes you are right, the shit in the cat is very restrictive, but it has been designed in a way that has the best possible flow velocity with the least amount of restrictions. When you gut that shit out, you leave rigid areas and it is not straight through. These rigid areas, create turblance and reversion, that the car's exhaust never intended or was designed to have, thus creating a loss in power. THis is why a gutted cat is a not so good idea. Your preception of more power is an illusion. For example, people that have a a CAI on their car and then buy a huge TB, think they have gained power, due to the butt dyno feeling a little better throttle response, but in reality they have lost. Unless you strap a car on the dyno you will never really be able to tell an accurate difference just by driving.(unless you have added a turbo or something to that extent.)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
NegroDamus said:
I fully understand how the whole flow thing is getting disrupted.

I hollowed mine about 5 years ago. So its run on 4 different engines within thoes 5 years. I have never noticed any negative effects from it bieng hollow. I wouldnt do it again just becasue its pointless. The butt dyno cant tell the difference.

My car has run just as good as it did before I did it up until now. So the whole you car will run like shit is an overstatement.

The only reason I said Free.99 is becasue it was half smartass and half its free. Yes hollowing a cat is ghetto but oh well. My car runs fine, its not slow and my dumbass at 16 would have sworn "I can feel the difference". If it was true or not doesnt matter, But I know for sure that it did NOT run worse than it did 20min before I did it.

So in the end any gain you would get from hollowing it out, will be countered by the turbulance it creates, but IMO you WILL NOT LOOSE ANY NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE, and until one of you dynos a car with a stock cat and a hollow one its all theory. (no one will dyno so its a pointless argument).

DONT HOLLOW YOUR CAT BECAUSE ITS A GHETTO THING TO DO AND YOU WILL GET FLAMED FOR IT :rolleyes

lol oh yea, yellow be stalkin me :hehs
You are right, you will not be able to feel a difference in loss of power due to hollowing a cat. BUt "why fix it, if it aint broken?" If you want to hollow a cat for the purpose to gain more performance out of it, why would you do that if it is going to cause you to lose power? that is my point. If you are looking for power, then do not hollow the cat because you will then be going backwards.

By the way no hard feelings, you know my style.

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
ALL C5 said:
You are right, you will not be able to feel a difference in loss of power due to hollowing a cat. BUt "why fix it, if it aint broken?" If you want to hollow a cat for the purpose to gain more performance out of it, why would you do that if it is going to cause you to lose power? that is my point. If you are looking for power, then do not hollow the cat because you will then be going backwards.

By the way no hard feelings, you know my style.
Its all good.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I just wanted to say this...."don't tease bitch... striptease bitch... eat a bowl of these bitch...gobble a dick...hoes forgot ta eat a dick and shut the fuck up....gobble a nut up and shutup..." Totally offtopic, I know, but it was very fun to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car is sitting on the side of the road dead. 300k miles on it very little maintenance before i got it. Anyway everything is clogged up with carbon causing it to bog down and die. My cats are clogged so in order to get it running i cleaned the intake manifold and exhaust manifold best i could now im hollowing my cats instead of cutting it off and going straight pipe. Main reason the pre cat is attached to the exhaust manifold and would be quite the project on the side of the road not that this isnt. So this seems my best bet, correct me if im wrong. (Brief history i live in my car and have no money to get replacement parts or a tow to a garage to work on it) as far as hurting the performance pretty sure the turbulence is better than clogged up pipes. But if anyone has a suggestion im all ears.

(I know the post is very old but my problem isnt)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts