Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K... so my Civ has developed this fast but quiet <thumpthumpthump> sound when I'm at speed on the freeway (not so noticable at slower speeds) associated with a mild vibration at the steering wheel... It turns into a more notable shudder around 75 mph.

I went and had all 4 tires balanced and did a full alignment.

Now the sound is a little less pronounced, but is still there, as is the vibration. As best as I can tell, the sound is coming from the rear (but I have to wonder, since I feel it at the wheel.)

My question is, would worn shocks/struts reveal themselves this way? I always thought the thumps you get with worn struts would happen at slow speeds as well as as higher speeds, and more often when you turn/hit a bump... not simply going straight.

Am I looking at worn wheel bearings or CV's?

Any master mechanics out there want to give me a hint as to what I should look at first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i would think it's most likely a flat spot on one of the tires. if you (or anyone driving the car) ever pulled the parking brake or did a nice burnout, one of the tires might be the cause. if you have another car with compatable wheels/tires try switching them and see if that's the problem.
that would be my best guess but if you wanna check other stuff, make sure the CV boots are all intact. to check the shocks, try going over a speed bump at 5-10mph and see how bouncy it is. if the shocks are working you should bounce once or twice then it should stop.
the vibration through the steering wheel is probably just caused by the car bouncing a little as you hit the flat patch of tire, i think that's probably the cause so i'd advise checking that first.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I'll look at that. But since I am the only driver of my car, and never once have I locked up the brakes, or done any crazy driving stunt (I would guess that I'm an old fart next to most of you 'young'uns' on SHO... I commute. Not auto-x. :D ) I cannot possibly see how how could have gotten a flat spot on any tires.

But stranger things have happened on the world I suppose. I will try a tire swap with a friend's civic on the weekend just to check that off the list of possibilities.

In the mean time, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at something mechanical being the problem... something's showing wear. But I cant quite place it. Any other theories?

·
Registered
429 Posts
dont know how similar cars are, my civic (94sedan) doen't shake or rattle at all. My mom's car however had a serious shaking problem at speed.
Your wheels may be bent (from hitting pothole?) lots of those here in W. NY
Still most suspect to me would be allignment.
Shocks/Struts you would notice that when you hit a bump in road your car would either shake horibly or dive to the side?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offense guys... I know you're trying to help. But for crying out loud, read the posts people! :rolleyes: ;)

I've already had an alignment done.
I've already had the tires balanced.
I don't have a flat spot on my tires. (but for the sake of argument I will test this theory anyway...)
I dont have a bent rim.
And no car has a 'normal' wobble on the steering wheel. Wobble/shake=problem.

I bought my Civ new in 98. It rode smooth as glass. Always has till the last month or so.

I'm a rather capable weekend mechanic... I have checked all the obvious/outward things. If it was any of these simple things I would have caught it. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

If I need to I will pull my axles and check/repack the tripots and pin bearings in the CV's (might be a good thing to do anyway since I'm up for a new clutch soon... could do it all this at once.)

The wheel bearings are sealed, so to even 'test' to see if thats where the problem is I will have to buy a whole new wheel hub. Not nearly as cheap as re-packing the bearings.

And so before I start ripping into my car or buying new hubs I thought I'd throw out the question/problem to see if I get some deep insight from some of the full blown mechanics out there. But again, thank you for the ideas...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.