Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know my springs are going bad cus when its cold, i can hear them creak when i go over speed bumps. i think my shocks are going bad cus the ride is getting crappier and i hear them pop everyonce in a while when i turn. (i dont know if this is actually the shocks, but i figured it was either that or the axels and it drives too normally for it to be the axels. if im just talkin out of my ass here, please let me know) i will soon be replacing my shocks and springs with aftermarket stuff (everything is stock now) and i was wondering if i should replace my stuts too. how do i know if they are bad? or are struts the same as shocks? i really dont know that much about suspension. thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Springs creaking isn't necesarilly all that uncommon.

The popping on a turn could easily be CV joints - don't count axles out of this.

You have shocks.

If you are lowered, yes, it's absolutely a good idea to replace your shocks.

You should know by your ride if your shocks are blown. If you can't figure it out there, check for oil seepage around the piston rod.

Use the search feature, check out the FAQs, it should help answer some of your basic questions.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Get under the car and see if a boot on the axle is broken. That is a good, but not the only, indication that the axle is bad. Does it pop a lot when you turn? Push on the car and see if the thing bounces a lot after you stop. If so, the struts are worn out. Is there fluid coming out of them? Just do a good, thourough checkup.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it usually only pops when i make i sharp turn sand it only when i turn right. would this be the left boot or the right one? (maybe the other one pops too but i just cant hear it cus its on the other side of the car) this only happens maybe twice a week and i drive alot. i put on probably about 1k miles a month. the other time it happens, its if i dont slow down enough for a speed bump and just go at it at 15 mph or faster. it makes the noise right as i hit the bump, not when im going over it. i dont really know how to describe the noise it makes, but you guys seem to know what im talking about when i say popping so thats good.

the ride is not bad enough for me to think that my shocks are blown, but its definately alot harsher than when i first got it. i will check the boots tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok first off, just let me get this straight. cars either have shocks or struts, not both. and the integra happens to have shocks. correct?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneManArmy said:
you have at least one bat joint...I guarantee it.

Fix that first...then decide if you need new struts.
what will happen if i keep driving on it? if it needs immediate attention, i can probably get it fixed really soon. is it really that important, or is it just comprimising my ride quality?

i should probably add that the springs i have in my sig are not on my car yet. when i got them, i was planning to put them in that weekend, so i went ahead and put it in my sig. but then i found out i would probably need new shocks too, so i decided to wait and just do it all at once. i just forgot that i still had the springs in my sig. they are still stock. i am changing my sig now. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
334 Posts
it will just keep getting worse. Lots of things can be effected.

If you look down there and have a torn boot...I'd fix it ASAP. You can go to kragan or your local honda dealership and pick up a new axle for pretty cheap. Install it yourself. It's not that hard.

Or you can upgrade for like $100.

Either way I'd take care of it asap. That way you'll know and you'll be able to diagnose any other problems. See what's squeeking or knocking.

While your down there, take a peak at your struts...see if they're leaking oil. If so...replace those too. Your spring should be fine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tytyguy said:
is your car lowered? did you buy lowering springs and not shocks?
no. its at the stock ride height with stock springs and stock shocks. the springs are sitting in my room. im just waiting for enough money for shocks and the installation

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well my ride keeps getting worse and worse every day. when its really cold out, it sounds like i have sticks stuck in my wheel wells. im assuming these are my broken cv joints or whatever. i guess it doesnt really matter. i am now driving my sister's corolla because im afraid to drive mine. on a side note, that thing gets AMAZING gas mileage. im bringing in my teg to get all fixed up on monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts