Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the sitchiashun...... im in the interstate today and about to get off on my exit, so i put it in neutral and coast down the ramp to the stop light, and i realize my engine is revving by itself for some reason and holding steady at 4500.... So i sit there for a second all confused thinking i might have my foot on the gas and not realize it, but then i realize i dont.... so i give it a good rev, and it drops down to about 2500 and stays there till the light turns green and i can start moving. So i get to the next light and the idle goes back to the normal 6 or 8 hundred rpm or so.... I drove around the rest of the night and it didnt happen again. Anyone know what might have caused this or if its just a sign of something bad thats about to happen? I got 70k miles on it now. Im just wondering if maybe its time for a new timing belt or something? Someone please help im perplexed!

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it might have been on but i cant remember if it was set or not.. as a matter of fact it was!! that explains it...... but why was the idle so high after i hit the gas and got it to drop from 4500???

· Registered
290 Posts
v00tecsi said:
Did you have cruise control on? Cause if you did, and you took it out of gear with out the clutch it will rev.
If he is sitting at a stop light one can assume that he has touched the brakes and quite likely the clutch, both will shut off cruise control. Unless it was thrown into neutral without the clutch and he rolled to a perfect stop at the stop light????

It's hard to say what caused the high idle. What mods have you done to your car? Maybe there was a momentary brain fart with your ECU.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had intake and exhaust, but im back to stock now minus the intake resonator, and ive reset my ECU everytime ive bolted or unbolten anything. Plus its been 3 or 4 months since i took the parts off and went back to stock and this just happened the other day. I tried going to neutral the other night with the cruse set and the RPMS went to the same place and stayed there(4500) while my speed decreased, so i just put it back in gear and turned the cruise off. So that must have been it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.