Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, about mid way through this month i'm finishing my suspension set up. here are my options/decisions. give me any suggestions on which is better or if i should get something else. all parts on an 99 accord sedan 4 cyl. thanks

aem big brake kit

ss brake lines (will any name work or should i find a specific
brand?)

a rear drum to disc brake conversion with parts off a 98-00 accord EX (i think i know what parts, but any suggestions would help)

comptech or suspension techniques front and rear sway bars

koni or tokico shocks

i already have eibach sportlines, so springs are good? anything else??

· Registered
12,727 Posts
make sure to balance the front and rear brake force....as in keep it close to stock balance of front and back. don't put too much braking force up front. so buy front and rear brake pads......but everything seems fine.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm actually look to, once i get more money after these upgrades, get larger (like 11 in) rotors for the back and like 4 pot calipers for the front.

· Registered
370 Posts
I would not get the AEM brake kit. I cant count the number of times on my hands and toes Ive heard poeple tell me there AEM rotors warped withing a few months.

I would get AEM brake pads, and Brembo (OE) or factory rotors.

The rear drum to disk conversion looks cool, but doesnt really give any advantages over the drum setup.

I would pick Koni over Tokico, but thats just my personal opinion.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
yea I kinda vote against a big rotor brake kit. I have the baer track racing kit up front...I like it a lot but its a lot of money new. I got mine for a deal off someone selling it used...but it came with all new components for cheap.

I recommend buying ss lines with new brake pads. something like (hawk HP plus) pads or something. Thats what I am going to run. they are supposed to be here tomorrow:)

anyway....its easier to do this since the brake force is balanced and you don't have to worry about balancing it. Mine is upset some as the rear will wonder if I hit the brakes really hard...and some approaches that turn slightly before the turn can be difficult to control the car to position it for the turn.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm..so the big brake kits don't maintain a very good braking balance? that sucks. i was looking at baer claw (or something like that, but they don't make any for 99 accord sedans). would the cheap brembo discs actually help any? they are stock sized, so whats the advantage? have you heard anything about the new AEM brakes (they are one piece, just slotted not drilled)?

· Registered
12,727 Posts
pokey said:
hmm..so the big brake kits don't maintain a very good braking balance? that sucks. i was looking at baer claw (or something like that, but they don't make any for 99 accord sedans). would the cheap brembo discs actually help any? they are stock sized, so whats the advantage? have you heard anything about the new AEM brakes (they are one piece, just slotted not drilled)?
well you only stop as well as your tires...I bet your set up right now locks the brakes up. and if it has bad brake fade, pads should eliminate most of the fade. The rotor itself won't do much. a bigger rotor can take more heat in(absorb) and also have higher brake torque. but to maintain the sam braking balance between the fornt and rear is tough. I upset mine and sometimes wished I had the stock set up back on....but other times I like the big braking power...since the ramp up speed for the force is much quicker.......still I am skeptical on big brake kits only on the front.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't wanna double post about my sway bar options (since i did mention it here first) so i need to know....which sway bar set is the best?

Suspension techniques
$229.00 with urethane bushings -22mm & 19mm

Eibach sway $289.00- 27mm/23mm

comptech $329.00- ?? mm/?? mm

which is the better set? thanks for the help

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<<Lord Accord: The rear drum to disk conversion looks cool, but doesnt really give any advantages over the drum setup. >>

so are you saying that drums are just as good as discs? or that the accord drums are as good as the rear accord discs? there has to be some advantages (even if it is just that you can put bigger discs on in the future)

<<I would pick Koni over Tokico, but thats just my personal opinion>>

i have heard people say this before, but tokico are cheaper. they also are adjustable without having to take apart the suspension (or atleast take off the wheel). and i don't think they could be THAT much better....but i guess i will find out.
thanks for the input

· Registered
12,727 Posts
pokey said:
i don't wanna double post about my sway bar options (since i did mention it here first) so i need to know....which sway bar set is the best?

Suspension techniques
$229.00 with urethane bushings -22mm & 19mm

Eibach sway $289.00- 27mm/23mm

comptech $329.00- ?? mm/?? mm

which is the better set? thanks for the help
go with the biggest sway bars you can get/find. out of those...eibach looks to be the best since its the biggest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.