Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, me and my buddy were talking at work, and he said that he checked his Hyundai Elantras Cel Codes, and found some problems. And im not gonna lie, that was the first time I had ever heard of Cel Codes. So im slightly intrigued by this, and i was wondering how you check it. I know its something under the dash but i have no clue as to what. Some help maybe? I was hoping checking that will lead me to why im only getting between 200 and 220 miles on a tank of gas. Because it really should be more. Or maybe im wrong about that too? Idk. Help? lol.

· Registered
61 Posts
CEL codes are checked in different ways depending on what year your car is. First, you know your car is running any codes because the Check Engine Light (CEL) will be glowing on your gauge cluster. If it is not glowing, then don't even bother checking it. Since you profile says yours is a 1993, it is an OBD-1 car. This means the CEL is checked by completing the circuit of 2 wires under the dash, generally with something as simple as a paperclip or speaker wire more preferably. If you had an OBD-II car, then you would check it with a scanner that you plug in under the dash.

As for your poor gas mileage, its 1 of 2 things that's most likely causing it for you. 1, your foot is pushing to hard on the gas pedal ;) or 2, you need to perform some simple maintainance on your car like a new intake filter, oil change, tire pressure checked, etc.

Hope this helps
Z

· Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the car has a CAI with a brand new filter, so i doubt thats it. but ill check my tire pressure, and get an oil change, (cuz im due for one anyways) and hopefully that might help.
And btw, my foot is only pushing too hard on the gas pedal when im late, or at the track, and thats not often. lol

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I was only getting 250ish outta a tank in my del sol S, I drained and refilled my tranny fluuid a fe wtimes to get the old shit out (tranny WAS slipping, now butter smooth), seafoamed my car, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, NEW THERMOSTAT. people sometimes dont realize how much gas you waste when your car isnt at operating temp.

Proper tire pressure, and get your O2 sensor testing. Im now getting 320-370 per tank easy, with some hard accelerations on the interstate:D

Let us know if you got any more questions bro

· Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about how much did all that cost you? im just looking for a ball park...i know a lot can be done myself, but some shit i wouldnt wanna mess with ya know? i think im goin tomorrow to get my oil change cuz i need one, and my buddy works at lube stop...cheap as shit.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
tranny fluid is 5-8 per quart, 2 per fillup, figure 2 fill ups should be fine, so maybe most 35 bucks?

plugs and wires, 40 bucks, NGK ONLY :btu, thermostat was 12 bucks, cap and rotor 10-20 depending on brand.

seafoam is about 6 bucks a can, get the one liter can, 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in gas, and 1/3 sucked through the vacuum line that attaches to your brake booster.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
seafoam in oil DEMANDS an oil change within 250miles, but drive at least 100 miles, to clean the system

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Not worth 60 bucks, the can is 6 bucks LMAO :lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.